Page 115 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1764

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Since the R&D costs of the original Marlin takedown system were likely amortized back when Theodore Roosevelt was still alive, that ought to reduce the MSRP price by at least a dime per unit.

I have always heard bad things (and/or naughty words) about Winchester's takedown system by comparison with that used by Marlin. I wonder if that stigma has evaporated because Chiappa actually improved the setup, or only because nobody has used these new guns enough to have a problem. My own experiences with TD rifles leaves me lukewarm about them mechanically, but they really are handier to travel with.

If I live long enough to see Ruger resurrect the 1894 CSSB, I will buy one for the principle of the thing. With or without TD capability.

I have also heard much negative about the Winchester takedown, and seen some that had been modified to snug them up, to include one model 55 that was epoxied together to eliminate the takedown. I also think that many people never knew that there was a system built in to take up slack in the fit as it wore in. Not quite as nice a system as the model 12 shotguns use to take up slack, but still there, and I believe mostly unknown and unused. They can still continue to wear, but the adjustment gives it longer usable life before other methods are required.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-26-2021 at 10:37 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Watching the Forgotten Weapons winchester series and seeing that hideous peening on the receivers of the take down models makes me cry.
    Adam

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I have also heard much negative about the Winchester takedown, and seen some that had been modified to snug them up, to include one model 55 that was epoxied together to eliminate the takedown. I also think that many people never knew that there was a system built in to take up slack in the fit as it wore in. Not quite as nice a system as the model 12 shotguns use to take up slack, but still there, and I believe mostly unknown and unused. They can still continue to wear, but the adjustment gives it longer usable life before other methods are required.
    The gent who was generally considered THE gunsmith in our area when I was growing up often had to undo corncrib "fixes" for loose takedowns (rifle AND shotgun); some of them were kind of bizarre. IIRC, he was okay with the takedown adjustment of the Model 12 shotgun - of which a surprising were still in use - but he was definitely not a fan of the Winchester rifles. He could get them right if there was enough meat still where it mattered, but he thought they were "fiddly."

(A word my grandfather often used.)

By the time I was paying attention a lot of these rifles were already fairly old, and a number of them had been used to death. Being that human nature never changes and common sense seems to be a fixed commodity, I have to think that a lot of owners were just as clueless then as they are today when it comes to care and repair. If a person was not careful or did not fully understand Winchester's takedown setup, it would not take much "cleaning" or "adjusting" to screw things up.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Browsing the Marlin catalog I came across the 336C Compact

Name:  Screenshot 2021-02-28 123503.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  46.6 KB
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-02-28 123556.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  71.2 KB

I was able to find this link at Sportsman's https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...65in/p/1645156

No one seems to have it in stock. Gunbroker has the Youth model but not the compact.

Does anyone have any info on this model?

EDIT: Also does the marlin website work for anyone? I'm not seeing any clickable links for specific models, only the PDF catalog shows their complete line up
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Browsing the Marlin catalog I came across the 336C Compact

Name:  Screenshot 2021-02-28 123503.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  46.6 KB
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-02-28 123556.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  71.2 KB

I was able to find this link at Sportsman's https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...65in/p/1645156

No one seems to have it in stock. Gunbroker has the Youth model but not the compact.

Does anyone have any info on this model?

EDIT: Also does the marlin website work for anyone? I'm not seeing any clickable links for specific models, only the PDF catalog shows their complete line up
    Marlin is currently out of business. Marlin was owned by Remington/Freedom Group .... which went bankrupt and was broken up and sold at auction. Ruger purchased Marlin but they have not yet started operations under the new management.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Marlin is currently out of business. Marlin was owned by Remington/Freedom Group .... which went bankrupt and was broken up and sold at auction. Ruger purchased Marlin but they have not yet started operations under the new management.
    Gotcha. Do you know of an alternative? Wanting a shorter lever action in .30-30 or 38/357
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Gotcha. Do you know of an alternative? Wanting a shorter lever action in .30-30 or 38/357
    Henry has a Big Boy Carbine with a 16” barrel and ~35” OAL. I’m not a fan of the finger lever but I’m sure it can be changed out. Or if you want to spend some more a Winchester Trapper or Chiappa is in that same “handy” size category.

Site Supporter
    Winchester and the new Henry side gate models.

Site Supporter
    I recently picked up a Henry Big Boy X in .357/38 and am enjoying it. I already had to make use of their original tube loading functionality when I experimented with feeding full wadcutter 38s and they jammed bad. Undo the tube magazine and they fell right out.
    The gun is ~1lb heavier than I would like. Also, my original gun came with the sights installed at 11:30 instead of 12:00 and I had to send it back for a barrel replacement.
    Adam

The Turnbull restoration mount is quite well made, and easy to install.

Unfortunately, it is a no-go on my Marlin 1994. The barrel profile on my 2019 production Marlin 1894c is such that the mount slopes downward when it is tightened down, and the red dot sight lacks enough elevation adjustment to zero. That isn't Turnbull's fault. The mount is expressly made for a Winchester, not a Marlin.

Conceptually though, I loved having the sight out there on the barrel. It was unobstrusive, and quick to the shoulder.

Evolution gun works makes a direct mount plate that will get the dot lower on the gun than if I use a Weaver Mount+Vortex Adapter+Sight, so I'm going to whistle one of those up.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List