Page 63 of 178 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Brought this home from Christmas get together - grandpa’s 1969 Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative Winchester 94.

Attachment 33898

That old box of ammo has 9 rounds in it and I think the other 11 are the total round count. The poor box is shreddded - I don’t think Grandpas concept of preserving the box was quite on point.

The gun itself is in pretty decent shape. The action is pretty sloppy though. The lever and trigger flop around if you shake the gun.
    Yeah, 1969 wasn't their best year. I had an octagon barreled 94 made in '69 and it rattled a can full of rocks. That said, who cares if yours rattles?! It's a TR commemorative with a half magazine. TR was cool. Winchesters are cool. Half-mag Winchesters are way cool.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Yeah, 1969 wasn't their best year. I had an octagon barreled 94 made in '69 and it rattled a can full of rocks. That said, who cares if yours rattles?! It's a TR commemorative with a half magazine. TR was cool. Winchesters are cool. Half-mag Winchesters are way cool.
    Totally. Good (I guess) to know it’s common for the vintage, though, and not something expressly wrong with this one. Given the nature of commemorative rifles, I don’t expect Winchester figured it would see a lot of usage, anyway.

I don’t plan on shooting it a bunch,but since some of the goodie has been licked off already, I figure I’ll put a few rounds through it for grins. TR wouldn’t have much use for a safe queen, right? Unless you guys think there is harm to be done (like “yeah the ‘69 long barrels were famous for catostrophic kabooms” or something).
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 01-05-2019 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Autocorrect weirdness
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Daughter #1, 94 Trapper .44 Mag.

Every time I see a lifestyle pic like this from @Lost River, it makes me happy. If you start up with a similar collection here, I’ll just be more happy.

PS. What’s the rail clamp thingy on the mag tube?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Every time I see a lifestyle pic like this from @Lost River, it makes me happy. If you start up with a similar collection here, I’ll just be more happy.

PS. What’s the rail clamp thingy on the mag tube?
    Thanks man. Makes me happy too. She was so excited when she got a first round hit on steel.

It’s a Hill People Gear pic rail for a tac light.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-06-2019 at 12:55 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Henry's "Long Ranger" model is now available in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I was just thinking a few weeks ago of buying a BLR and having it converted. No need now. I see they're already on Gunbroker for about 8 bills.

Now I just need someone to come up with a scout mount. A 6.5CM, levergun, detachable mag, scout? Use QD rings, and do a Skinner peep in the rear with a nice gold ramp up front? That'd be the bees knees and then some.

Unless you guys think there is harm to be done (like “yeah the ‘69 long barrels were famous for catostrophic kabooms” or something).
    I've never heard of catastrophic problems in '94's. The only problem I ever had in one was in a short .44 like Clusterfrack's. The firing pin broke. It was a cheap fix, but they're more of a PITA to take apart than you'd think.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

The action is 'loose' on my '69 model 94 also, but it shoots really well. I will say that it prefers a 170 grain loadout as compared to the 150.
    I found a hard cast lead bullet from Beartooth Bullets that shoot like a laser from it.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    I was at my LGS yesterday and they had a new marlin 1895 trapper. I really liked it. I keep telling myself my 18” 870 loaded with slugs is close enough to a 16” 45-70 that I don’t need the marlin. Photo from marlins website
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Brought this home from Christmas get together - grandpa’s 1969 Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative Winchester 94.

The gun itself is in pretty decent shape. The action is pretty sloppy though. The lever and trigger flop around if you shake the gun.
    Do you mean they flop around when the action is open or closed?

ive seen much variation in how loose the parts were, open and closed. None of them hurt anything when on the looser side so long s thew locking bolt behind the bolt stayed in position when closed. They pretty much all flop around when open, like 98 Mausers do with the bolt open.

One guy on the leveguns forum mentioned he had a 94 that didnt shoot well, and I dont think the lever snugged up firm against the lower tang wehn closed. He relieved the hole in the lever that pinned it to the bolt, it helped the accuracy noticably. They doesnt need to be, and only one Ive looked at, had enough tensuion to keep the lever from easily bottoming against the lower tang. Many later ones have the trigger stop spring stronger than needed, and act like a grip safety. I dont believe that was the original intent of that part, since none of the older ones ive had or seen do that to any noticeable degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I was at my LGS yesterday and they had a new marlin 1895 trapper. I really liked it. I keep telling myself my 18” 870 loaded with slugs is close enough to a 16” 45-70 that I don’t need the marlin. Photo from marlins website
    Since when is America based on need? I am also quite taken with those short guide trappers. One of these, and a fixed 2.5x20mm ultralight Leupold could cure most of what ails you in the wild.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List