Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Robert Service

THE CALL OF THE WILD

Have you gazed on naked grandeur where there's nothing else to gaze on,
    Set pieces and drop-curtain scenes galore,
    Big mountains heaved to heaven, which the blinding sunsets blazon,
    Black canyons where the rapids rip and roar?
    Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking through it,
    Searched the Vastness for a something you have lost?
    Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it;
    Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost.
    Have you wandered in the wilderness, the sage-brush desolation,
    The bunch-grass levels where the cattle graze?
    Have you whistled bits of rag-time at the end of all creation,
    And learned to know the desert's little ways?

Have you camped upon the foothills, have you galloped o'er the ranges,
    Have you roamed the arid sun-lands through and through?
    Have you chummed up with the mesa? Do you know its moods and changes?
    Then listen to the Wild — it's calling you.
    Have you known the Great White Silence, not a snow-gemmed twig aquiver?
    (Eternal truths that shame our soothing lies.)
    Have you broken trail on snowshoes? mushed your huskies up the river,
    Dared the unknown, led the way, and clutched the prize?
    Have you marked the map's void spaces, mingled with the mongrel races,
    Felt the savage strength of brute in every thew?
    And though grim as hell the worst is, can you round it off with curses?
    Then hearken to the Wild — it's wanting you.
    Have you suffered, starved and triumphed, groveled down, yet grasped at glory,
    Grown bigger in the bigness of the whole?
    "Done things" just for the doing, letting babblers tell the story,
    Seeing through the nice veneer the naked soul?

Have you seen God in His splendors, heard the text that nature renders?
    (You'll never hear it in the family pew.)
    The simple things, the true things, the silent men who do things —
    Then listen to the Wild — it's calling you.
    They have cradled you in custom, they have primed you with their preaching,
    They have soaked you in convention through and through;
    They have put you in a showcase; you're a credit to their teaching —
    But can't you hear the Wild? — it's calling you.
    Let us probe the silent places, let us seek what luck betide us;
    Let us journey to a lonely land I know.
    There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us,
    And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go.
    Malamute:

Thank you. I needed that today.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Back on topic, I wonder if a scope base thats already made to fit the front receiver ring could be machined to be a red dot base? Sort of reverse the procedure so to speak.

I think it would likely require putting a base right on the barrel to get it low enough to co-witness with the irons. I think its Rossi that has such a base made for some of their guns, the screw holes are under the rear sight. You might just get one of their bases and have your barrel drilled and tapped to match it. I think the Pearson scope mount guy has a short base that mounts on the barrel and rear sight dovetail also.

It may be worth looking into, searching for info, I turned some up in a quick search but dont have time to dive down that rabbit hole.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-07-2021 at 02:13 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    ...It means they were used, carried/taken care of and probably have some story to tell if they could speak. My son asked me about one of my guns and I told him some of the stories associated with it and my use of it...
    My father kept talking about sending his GP100 to be refinished. While tight despite decades of magnums and specials, it looks its age. I've spent years just about yelling at him not to dare commit such a sin. When it was time to hand over to my son, he doubled down. I spent months keeping him on the straight and narrow. Kid loves that magnum and my dad apologized for the rough finish. Did my heart proud to see the boy snap at him that it would have sucked the soul out of the gift to be refinished. Every nick, ding, spot of bare steel, and rust pit are a roadmap of his grandfather's police service, roadside donnybrooks, and deer hunts.

Bit odd given my father's response to the first ding in the Winchester '94 my grandfather had given me. The cheap sling swivel gave way, letting the stock slam into a lug nut on the four-wheeler. "Rub a drop of soy sauce to darken the ding if it bothers you so much. Then check zero didn't also take a knock before tomorrow's hunt and stop whining."

He broke me, that day. I've since backcountry camped with just about anything. Original Jungle carbine wrapped in the woolen blanket with me as the clear sky turned into a near-freezing drizzle as I slept under the sky, newly built AR coming home with rusted selector from the morning dew, blued revolvers, whatever. The sling on my moose and bear rifle has zebra hide inlay. Freezing rain and snow have never caused me an ounce of concern.

Some have looked at my Highway Patrolman getting a bit loose and the front sight tip worn round from decades of holster work. "Gonna square that off?"

"Why? I'll just round it over myself and gouge good leather holsters in the process. Previous owners got it broken in just right for me."

I can't understand people who reach adulthood wanting everything pristine. Like the flatlanders looking at my threadbare shell layer, chipped skis with browning edges, and scratched helmet. I ski. Spend less time in the lodge and your stuff will break in, too.

"It's really chipped and battered, the most useful thing I own."

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I have that Marlin and cannot say a bad thing about it. Mine was made circa 2017 and I picked it up on sale at Academy Sports back in 2018 for $499. Only changes I made were switching from the factory notch and post to an XS rear peep sight which required a taller front sight (I should have bought the combo from XS) and I had to lighten the loading gate spring a bit to make it easier to deflect. I got the safety delete screw from Beartooth Outfitters in Cody, easy install. I did that since that crossbolt safety is not part of my manual of arms for a levergun, and that had to go for me to carry it in the Rocky Mt. West where it's presence was solely for predator defense while camping.

I will be looking for the newly announced Winchester 1886 saddle ring carbine (Japanese made) when it is released later this Spring. It has a steel buttplate which will require me to cut the stock and install a pachmyr decelerator pad cause .45-70 becomes a torture device with a steel butt plate. I would say the same applies to all the other 1886 tribe currently made as I don't see any without the metal butt plate. Some are the old curved U style which makes it worse.

I have never aspired to scope one in .45-70 mainly because of the limited range of the cartridge. A red dot would make sense but the traditionalist/CAS in me throws up in my mouth thinking about it.
    Yeah this gun will be iron sights only for me. Partially due to the limited range I’ll be using it, partially for simplicity’s sake, and a big partially because I want to keep it as slick and “traditional” as possible.

I am glad to hear you’re getting along well with your Marlin, if I could find one for $500 I’d probably sprain my shoulder reaching for my wallet. Current prices are 3-4x that. I will look into the Winchester as well. But may just hold off until I can pay MSRP for the Trapper.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    So, I looked into this option a bit further. Nobody anywhere seems to have published how wide the Hiviz front sight is, but I did eventually discover that the light pipe is 2mm. So the width of the sight must be a bit wider than that. 2,5mm? 3mm?

It is surprisingly difficult to measure the original front sight with any sort of precision, but it is somewhere around 1,5mm to 2mm wide.

So the Hiviz front sight, in addition to having a curved top edge, is probably too wide for the rear sight notch, moving it into a definite no go category.

There probably aren't a whole lot of other people around looking at front sight options for their Winchester 94 Trappers but, well, thought I'd mention this anyway.
    That Guy:

Take a look at Skinner Sights. The owner is a friend, hard core gun guy and they make a great product. I dislike bead type front sights because I am habituated to using a post/flat top front sight blade. I added a Skinner dovetail front sight to a Winchester Model 94, painted the face orange and am really happy with it. Here is the link: "http://skinnersights.com/front_sights_5.html".

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright

Speaking of sight options, I was recently looking at the front scope base holes on the rifle and a thought occurred to me. Typically if you wanted to mount a dot there you would have to mount a Weaver scope mount, a Picatinny red dot mounting plate goes there, and then you can attach your red dot. That moves the dot unnecessarily high. What if someone made a red dot mounting plate that bolted right onto those existing threads in the receiver? The bottom of the plate would follow the curvature of the receiver for a more seamless looking fit, and the red dot would mount nearly at receiver height. With the right kind of dot you might even be able to co-witness the iron sights!

Of course, nobody makes a mount like that. But wouldn't it be neat if someone did?
    That Guy:

Take a look at the mounts made by Turnbull Restoration for lever action rifles: "https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/product-category/the-showroom/turnbull-merchandise/fastfire-mounts/" I think this may be what you are looking for.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Picatinny is basically a Weaver with more slots. You don’t ‘have’ to put a Picatinny base on a Weaver rail. Alternatively, if there is a Weaver mount available, there’s a pretty good chance there is a Picatinny alternative as well.
    Okay, so grab a Weaver scope base in one hand and some sort of a red dot in the other. RMR, SMS, RMC, SIS, whatever. Now, how do you get those two to attach to each other? You'll need a Picatinny mount for the red dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Back on topic, I wonder if a scope base thats already made to fit the front receiver ring could be machined to be a red dot base? Sort of reverse the procedure so to speak.
    That is really a good idea! I suppose it would depend on how wide the scope mount base is. Perhaps it might work with one of the narrower red dots? It might certainly drive down the cost of mounting a dot.

Take a look at Skinner Sights.
    Interesting! I wonder how well that brass sight is visible? Thank you for the tip, I'll certainly have to look into those further.

Take a look at the mounts made by Turnbull Restoration for lever action rifles:
    Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately it says right on the top of the page "no international sales".
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Okay, so grab a Weaver scope base in one hand and some sort of a red dot in the other. RMR, SMS, RMC, SIS, whatever. Now, how do you get those two to attach to each other? You'll need a Picatinny mount for the red dot.
    I somehow managed to get a Vortex Venom to attach to a Weaver Rail using the parts that came with it without any major engineering. Maybe I just got lucky? Maybe grab a Weaver and Picatinny and compare the two?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I somehow managed to get a Vortex Venom to attach to a Weaver Rail using the parts that came with it without any major engineering. Maybe I just got lucky? Maybe grab a Weaver and Picatinny and compare the two?
    What he’s looking for is a direct mount that a mrds bolts to without a clamp style mount in between the sight and the receiver. Like screwing a dot site on a pistol slide.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately it says right on the top of the page "no international sales".

EGW makes a variety of red dot sight mounts, I don’t know if any would fit your needs.

https://www.egwguns.com/

Of course they too say that they can’t ship overseas, but their FAQ page points to J L N Firearms who apparently will

http://jlnfirearms.com/product/

User Tag List