Page 172 of 178 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I'm glad I sctratched my 99 itch already. I have a .243 in the back of the safe. It took me a while to find one that wasn't in .300 Savage.
    I think if I decided chasing a 99 would be my next distraction gun adventure, I'd go for a .30-30, .308 or .243 in that order. The .243 is more in line with my "less recoil is better" philosophy but I already have the other 2 calibers on hand.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I think if I decided chasing a 99 would be my next distraction gun adventure, I'd go for a .30-30, .308 or .243 in that order. The .243 is more in line with my "less recoil is better" philosophy but I already have the other 2 calibers on hand.
    Ideally I was looking for a .308 but I have an H&R Handi in .243 also so that was fine by me. After finding the .243 I did come across a .30-30 in a shop locally and I was very close to buying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Dear God I loved that place. Still the best gun store I've ever been in. Part gun store, part museum/consignment store. Knowledgeable staff, amazing selection, connections to multiple prominent gunsmith. I was crushed when Bob and his sister closed the place. Last I heard, he had bought a Harley dealership up in Sonoma County.

I remember a rack of numerous leverguns, including the Savages. He'll, that place had everything from double rifles in .600 Nitro to a gyrojet pistol (not joking). And the last gun store I was in where I could have an intelligent conversation about guns with the staff.
    Bob and Liz set a very high bar with that shop. No one local could compete with them for sheer variety, though Cinnabar Rifle Shop did have truly weird stuff sticking out of cardboard barrels. (Bannerman 37s, anyone?)

I do remember the Gyrojet. They had rounds for it, too.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Yep. Around the same time, The San Francisco Gun Exchange had a whole center floor rack in the store consisting of various Savage 99s in pretty much every caliber and configuration they made from 1900 to 1950. They were the least expensive firearms in the whole store. @paherne and @AMC can probably back me up on that.
    I didn't have enough money, nor knowledge at the time to scoop one of them up. There were also racks of Browning Auto 5s, etc. that the tacticool crowd did not want. What a great gun store it was.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    The .250-3000 was the low-recoil favorite of some of the smarter old duffers* that liked going out of state to hunt small and medium game with rifles. It wasn't just for ladies and kids.

*I am now older than they were then... which is unpleasant to contemplate.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    The .250-3000 was the low-recoil favorite of some of the smarter old duffers* that liked going out of state to hunt small and medium game with rifles. It wasn't just for ladies and kids.

*I am now older than they were then... which is unpleasant to contemplate.
    Its a bit early in the game, but a 250 may fill the niche Ive been seeking to fill for a mild recoiling walk around and medium big game capable hunting rifle that would cover whatever Id need in Arizona. Black bear and possibly invasive feral boar are probably the largest thing Id need to cover besides deer. I suppose it would work on elk at closer range and good bullets, though the 25-06 is a better tool for that.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I briefly considered the 250 but new brass looks to be unobtainable right now and it looks like forming it from something else is a major endeavor.

Now if we’re playing the “million bucks game” from the semi auto subforum, I’d buy one and pay Starline whatever the cost is to have them do a run right now.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I briefly considered the 250 but new brass looks to be unobtainable right now and it looks like forming it from something else is a major endeavor.

Now if we’re playing the “million bucks game” from the semi auto subforum, I’d buy one and pay Starline whatever the cost is to have them do a run right now.

I believe 250 brass is fairly easy to form from 22-250 brass. Simple neck up, in one or possibly two steps (243 first) but not sure thats required. This is one of the reasons its appealing to me.

Im pretty sure it can be formed from stuff in the 243-308 class also, but may need trimming and neck turning if going down very much.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-30-2024 at 01:14 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I believe 250 brass is fairly easy to form from 22-250 brass. Simple neck up, in one or possibly two steps (243 first) but not sure thats required. This is one of the reasons its appealing to me.

Im pretty sure it can be formed from stuff in the 243-308 class also, but may need trimming and neck turning if going down very much.
    You’re right, I think .22-250 is the easy button for brass forming.

I got the .250 confused with something else I was researching that same morning that was going to require multiple sizing dies and a 5T hydraulic press. Possibly .25-20 Single Shot…

I was able to make it to the range today to try out my new Marlin 1894C in .357. I was pressed for time, but it fed .38 SWC handloads, .357 SWC handloads, and Federal 158gr JSP .357 with ease. I only had access to 25yds, but the rifle is easy to get quick hits with. Unfortunately, the sights were about 3” off in windage at that distance. I’ll correct that shortly, though I think the gun will wear an Aimpoint Micro soon.

User Tag List