Page 72 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    So.... After years of searching, I traded into this today: 1895 Saddle Ring Carbine with Lyman receiver peep in 30 U.S. aka 30-40 Krag.

That's a handsome rifle.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Once was enough for me. I’ll take every advantage I can get.

The same reason old timers spent a months pay on ‘76, ‘86 and then ‘95 Winchester’s and Remington model 8a and “07 Winchester’s as they progressed.
    "When the new meets the old it always ends the ancient ways."

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Once was enough for me. I’ll take every advantage I can get.

The same reason old timers spent a months pay on ‘76, ‘86 and then ‘95 Winchester’s and Remington model 8a and “07 Winchester’s as they progressed.
    Do you have a news link? There’s a lot of folks that say there are no reports of multiple bad guys attacking private citizens armed with rifles. It would be nice to be able to have proof to the contrary.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Do you have a news link? There’s a lot of folks that say there are no reports of multiple bad guys attacking private citizens armed with rifles. It would be nice to be able to have proof to the contrary.
    It was not in a private capacity.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I have had time to disassemble, observe, and comment on my Marlin 1894. Some of this I could have said when I first posted but waited until I could make precise statements. Within 15 seconds of examining the rifle, I got weak kneed and had to sit. Then I handed it back to the lgs owner and said, “Yeah, that a nifty rifle.” I remain perplexed how this 29 year old specimen could be in 100% untouched condition. Not even the wood showed handling marks. Blue finish is original and un-retouched. I recognized the large number of Ranger Precision parts installed on the rifle. See the link below and view Marlin parts. This rifle has every single one listed. Quick math said that somebody dropped about $275 on these. They reveal outstanding quality. Not a single screw shows abuse from having been turned by a driver with incorrect dimensions. And then there were labor costs in addition to pars cost.

Yes, that’s good but something didn’t add up. The action was too slick, and I feared that a dummy with a power tool had worked on the action. Scrutiny showed gentle deburring but no aggressive effort. An expert had carried out a tad of fitting and then stopped. Next I drove to a location permitting function firing. I ran a box of Winchester 110 gr .357 Mag ammo through the rifle. Feeding and extraction were so positive that the mechanism performed its task whether operated slowly or rapidly. The action performed correctly even if operated in a jerky motion with intermittent movement. I had never seen this level of correct feeding and extraction in a lever action rifle.

My guess is that the kid who traded the 1894 inherited it from an older relative who acquired the rifle and then shipped it off to have this work done. Not impressed, junior traded it in on a AR. Now I am the proud owner.

In fubarred the link to Ranger Precision.
    Here ya go.

https://www.rangerpointstore.com/cat...rms-parts.html

Those guys are local here. They are motorcycle racers from Cali, fellow refugees in TX. We get along.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

It was not in a private capacity.
    Then it’s not really relevant to the typical private citizen who chooses to use a mechanically cycled firearm. I get where you’re coming from, our experiences certainly shape our perceptions and how we tend to react to certain stimulus. It’s been interesting getting another perspective, even if it is an outlier. Thanks.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Then it’s not really relevant to the typical private citizen who chooses to use a mechanically cycled firearm. I get where you’re coming from, our experiences certainly shape our perceptions and how we tend to react to certain stimulus. It’s been interesting getting another perspective, even if it is an outlier. Thanks.
    Read what I actually wrote again and then read the post it was in response to- in post 682 Lester Pollus talking about successfully taking on multiple subjects with ARs and AKs with a lever gun. And I replied that for that purpose, a first line fighting gun for fighting others with modern semi or full auto fighting guns, lever guns are obsolete. I stand by that statement.

If a lever gun works for your likely needs great. As a hunting gun or a defense gun vs 1 or 2 crooks - yes, as I already stated it’s adequate.

Those are two very different scenarios - don’t try to twist my response to one of those scenarios into a blanket statement that lever guns are useless.

Knowing and accepting the limitations of lever guns is no different than knowing and accepting the limitations I face when I choose to carry a J frame vs a G17.

Read what I actually wrote again and then read the post it was in response to- in post 682 Lester Pollus talking about successfully taking on multiple subjects with ARs and AKs with a lever gun. And I replied that for that purpose, a first line fighting gun for fighting others with modern semi or full auto fighting guns, lever guns are obsolete. I stand by that statement.

If a lever gun works for your likely needs great. As a hunting gun or a defense gun vs 1 or 2 crooks - yes, as I already stated it’s adequate.

Those are two very different scenarios - don’t try to twist my response to one of those scenarios into a blanket statement that lever guns are useless.

Knowing and accepting the limitations of lever guns is no different than knowing and accepting the limitations I face when I choose to carry a J frame vs a G17.
    Name:  IMG_20190519_125137792.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  39.7 KB
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Name:  IMG_20190519_125137792.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  39.7 KB
    Nice. I’m familiar with the concept.

Name:  0395A73E-B142-451A-ADF6-4AE7E2EE482A.jpeg
Views: 1050
Size:  87.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Thanks for linking this outfit. Their products on my rifle are first class in every respect. Plus where applicable, they match the Marlin finish. Prices are on the top end but are so nicely machined that I will not say they are too high. To start with this rifle was born first class. It is a good specimen. These parts were icing on the cake.

User Tag List