Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Rolled" and racked?????

Seen or been taught a 90 deg roll left or right, or inverted, either situationally or whenever the slide was run. Depended on the trainer/vendor. Rolling right during a type 2 is the most common and the only thing I've continued.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Last edited by SLG; 08-30-2015 at 05:49 PM. Reason: off track

Rolling the gun so the right side is down lets some deep stovepipes fall out when they otherwise might get worse if the gun is kept vertical.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

The roll&rack is how I was taught as well. At a recent Chuck Haggard class, this method was reaffirmed.
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

There are multiple ways to set up a failure to fire in class, but if you never set up deep, nasty stovepipes, the utility of the roll can be lost. Just like the utility of the tap can be lost if unseated magazines are not addressed.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I read the same article you did (I'm pretty sure). I respect the author tremendously and consider him a friend, but I felt that example failed to illustrate his point. The point was a slide lock shouldn't always dictate a reload, (which is true) but the illustration was a click led to a reload. Presumably the gun was in battery at the time, since the student failed to seat the magazine correctly. Simple (rookie) mistake on the shooters part, and not an example of what the author was trying to get across, imo.
    I got that; I understood what he was trying to convey.

The word "rolled" threw me a bit, is all. I had a sudden vision of Irish firing squads, upper body "turrets", and beards…

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I got that; I understood what he was trying to convey.

The word "rolled" threw me a bit, is all. I had a sudden vision of Irish firing squads, upper body "turrets", and beards…

Yeah, sorry. I deleted my post since it really wasn't relevant to your inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Yeah, sorry. I deleted my post since it really wasn't relevant to your inquiry.
    So what? You were trying to make sure I was on the right page, and I appreciated it.

Thank goodness there aren't any rabid Thread Drift Nazis on this forum. While a post about, say, canning peaches, would certainly be a waste of bandwidth in this thread, relevant or semi-relevant stuff adds to the discussion. No worries...

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    So what? You were trying to make sure I was on the right page, and I appreciated it.

Thank goodness there aren't any rabid Thread Drift Nazis on this forum. While a post about, say, canning peaches, would certainly be a waste of bandwidth in this thread, relevant or semi-relevant stuff adds to the discussion. No worries...

Some of the best threads on this board were born from thread drifts taken to it's own discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    I was trained to "tap, rack and roll" as an immediate action drill.

Tap the magazine to ensure it was seated. Then rack the slide, while rolling the gun to the right so that any debris in the ejection port can fall out with the assistance of gravity.
    Jason Falla said that it was a throwback to the 1911 days where a live round inertia feeding was not very uncommon.

User Tag List