Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Rolled" and racked?????

"Rolled" and racked?????

I was reading a treatise on "presumptive training", and the author was relating how a student in a class either did not fully seat the magazine, or inadvertantly activated the slide stop- I forget now which- and thinking he was out of burrets, did a combat reload. Because of that so-called presumptive training scar, he didn't do what he should have done; to wit, "tapped the magazine, rolled and racked a new round into the chamber."

So what is this "rolled"? I have an idea what it is, but I'd like to hear from someone who knows for sure.

Spitballing here, but possibly a reference to rotating the gun over to the support hand for a more slingshot charging instead of moving the support hand overtop of the slide.
    Last edited by StraitR; 08-29-2015 at 07:46 AM.

I was trained to "tap, rack and roll" as an immediate action drill.

Tap the magazine to ensure it was seated. Then rack the slide, while rolling the gun to the right so that any debris in the ejection port can fall out with the assistance of gravity.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post

Tap the magazine to ensure it was seated. Then rack the slide, while rolling the gun to the right so that any debris in the ejection port can fall out with the assistance of gravity.
    That makes more sense.

I smack the bottom of the magazine and roll it inboard almost inverted before I rack the slide.

Same here. Specifically for failures to eject, IIRC.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Ah, so. Okay, that makes some sense. At first, I was thinking it was yet another gift to we unwashed from the dynamic prone crowd.

We didn't teach that roll part. The pistol remained upright. In many years of watching folks "run" semi-autos, I saw some interesting ham-fisted variations of tap-rack-ready/bang… and don't recall ever seeing a situation where that roll would have helped. To my mind, it adds another, potentially confusing, movement that just isn't needed.

Still, I can visualize some poor sod, somewhere, getting a case laying in the way and needing that movement.

Okay, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    To my mind, it adds another, potentially confusing, movement that just isn't needed.
    Agree

Site Supporter

This ^^^^^

We don't teach the roll but I've seen it in a few places.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-29-2015 at 04:20 PM.

When I was in my first firearms instructor school (many moons ago) we were all doing these mini classes on the range. One of the guys does the tap, rack, ready with his beretta 92. When he gets to the rack part he racks the slide with the pistol slide upright and the round exits the chamber spins in the air briefly then falls back into the action were the slide closes on the round. It was probably one of those 1 in a million things but we all diced then to teach rolling the ejection port down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List