Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Opening Benchmade Mini-Griptilian PSA

Quote Originally Posted by DI1 View Post

Never carry anything else in the same pocket as you carry a folder. This is an accident waiting to happen. At best you will get something lodged in the folder such as keys, change, etc... and will not be able to open the folder when needed. At worst, you will open the blade and cut yourself.
    If you must carry a folder, carrying tip down, and having the spine of the blade tight against the rear seam of the pocket will help preclude accidental opening.
    I have too much stuff to have a dedicated knife pocket. I have long legs and the Delica is just long enough to bottom out when I sit. That tends to move the knife around a bit when clipped in the pocket. No doubt that clipped in the rear of the pocket would be best, and that's where is starts the day. However, it will move a bit to follow the curve of my leg. The slightly shorter length was why I started carrying the Mini-Grip.

A dedicated knife pocket is a surprising conclusion to me. I have carried a folder in my primary (right front, where my money, keys, and wallet are) pocket for twenty years and have never had a knife open. I have worn about ten or twelve types of folders in that time, tip up and tip down, but I did always wear the blade against the rear of the pocket.

That said, I have a dedicated cell phone pocket, so FMR.
    Ignore Alien Orders

my work pocket knife, a sog flash 2 had this issue, it was because of the locking mechanism. I removed the locking mechanism and never had an issue.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Most of us don't have a "dedicated knife pocket", another good and preferred way to carry a folder is clipped to your pants behind the belt at the aiwb position (left or right side). This way the knife is secure and you are not announcing to the world that you are carrying a knife.
    I stopped edc'ing folders a long time ago, but sometimes have to depending on the environment.
    Last edited by DI1; 08-31-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Good safety tip, thanks for posting.

My Kershaw 1660 Leek has a little locking device at the tip, that holds the blade in place. Might be an option for some.

I like my Griptilian (regular size) a little better than the leek; it seems much more robustly constructed, at least as far as the blade thickness etc. I worried about bending the top of the leek and rarely carry it. Thing is wicked sharp, though.

I usually end up with my Grip carried tip up, left hand front pocket, clip reversed (I'm a lefty). I hadn't given this much thought but will definitely keep an eye on it from now on.
    I carry my Leek tip up, blade spine against the back of my pocket, tip locker disengaged, and I've never had it move or open on me. If I actively try to open it, I can get it to open up a little bit if I apply what feels like a lot of force to the flipper protrusion, but that's really stretching things, and even if it did open, it's positioned such that I have a hard time believing I'd be able to cut myself on it while reaching for my keys. I've actually considered removing the tip locker thing, to be honest...

Site Supporter
    I found I like tip-up but opening towards the closed end of the pocket rather than into the pocket. It was a bit of an adjustment learning to properly, quickly deploy, but once done the risk of an accident such as the OP seems less.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Most of us don't have a "dedicated knife pocket", another good and preferred way to carry a folder is clipped to your pants behind the belt at the aiwb position (left or right side). This way the knife is secure and you are not announcing to the world that you are carrying a knife.
    I stopped edc'ing folders a long time ago, but sometimes have to depending on the environment.
    Any reason why you stopped EDC'ing a folder?

Folders are the "go to" utility knife you should have on you. A blade that is carried IWB is for concealment and people, not utility.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Yikes. I've carried a folder tip-up clipped toward the rear of my pocket for many years, never had an issue and never really gave it a second thought, though when I decided to ditch the pocket clip I did switch to a Mini-Barrage with the lock engaged.

Might want to double check that both omega springs are intact. Also, I don't know what the Mini-Grip comes with, but some Benchmades have lower-profile studs than others and these are interchangeable. For example, studs on my 707 are 0.14", compared to 0.17" on my 586...not a huge difference but noticeable, perhaps the smaller ones might be less likely to get caught on something. Lastly, you may already be aware of this but the Mini-Grip does come in a version with a thumb hole, 555HG, if you think thumb holes are the way to go but still prefer the size of the Mini-Grip vs the Delica.

....another good and preferred way to carry a folder is clipped to your pants behind the belt at the aiwb position (left or right side). This way the knife is secure and you are not announcing to the world that you are carrying a knife.
    I've carried that way in the past, and might again at some point. Checked the springs as one poster suggested, both in place and functioning. The pivot force is smooth but not loose. I can't flick the knife open holding the handle.

Just a freak accident, and I got off lucky with just a small reminder that shit happens.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Any reason why you stopped EDC'ing a folder?

Folders are the "go to" utility knife you should have on you. A blade that is carried IWB is for concealment and people, not utility.
    I found smaller fixed blade knives such as Allen Folts Minimalist or the CRKT version of that design as well as a Strider SLCC work better if you need a smaller pocket able UTILITY knife. These are quicker to deploy and usually much stronger than a folder. A multi-tool is my usual go to.
    My concealment defense blade rides at 8-9 o'clock IWB.

User Tag List