Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Opening Benchmade Mini-Griptilian PSA

Pocket Opening Benchmade Mini-Griptilian PSA

I have carried a Mini-Grip in my offside pocket for the last couple of years, replacing a Spyderco Delica carried forever in the same fashion. As you know the primary difference is stud (BM) vs. hole (Spyderco) opening. I prefer to carry tip up.

Yesterday the Mini-Grip opened in my pocket and I sliced my finger reaching for the truck keys. I keep my keys in the same pocket the knife is clipped in. The only thing I can figure is my keys must have caught the stud just right and opened the blade. It could have been much worse than the couple of butterfly closures along the tip/side of my little finger.

I’m done pocket carrying the Mini-Grip, and likely any knife with a stud. Wearing the Spyderco today.

Freak accident, but…..

Site Supporter
    Similar has happened to me which is why I also prefer Spyderco, particularly their lockbacks which have a high closing bias.

It's not so much the stud opening mechanism as it is the detent strength on some of the Axis locks. Some of them are rock solid and aren't going to deploy without intent, some a bit less so and get worse with use.

I wouldn't fault anyone for making the choice you are; some knives are inherently harder to open accidentally. I would include all of the Spyderco lock backs in that category. However there are plenty of thumb stud knives I'd also include.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where in your pocket were you carrying it?

Clipped towards the front or the middle or loose in the pocket?

I ask because I wear my folders towards the back of the pocket so that the spine of the blade is against the seams of the pocket which really reduces the likelihood of accidental opening (also works well with Emerson's as the 'wave opener' gets caught early).

I think OnionsAndDragons is right, it probably has more to do with the detent strength as I can easily imagine some part of a key getting into the Spyderco hole (which would be as freaky an accident as getting the stud caught would be for you).

Personally, I dislike the studs simply because they're too easy too miss when trying to open the knife under stress or even just practicing at speed; the hole or the disk are much better in my opinion.

Site Supporter
    My thumb dislikes the stud after I slipped off the stud and when trying to reacquire, reacquired the blade. Ouch. Sypdercos for me for EDC - I have other types in the Box O' Knives. I practice with the Spyderco and have a trainer for such.

Yesterday the Mini-Grip opened in my pocket and I sliced my finger reaching for the truck keys. I keep my keys in the same pocket the knife is clipped in. The only thing I can figure is my keys must have caught the stud just right and opened the blade. It could have been much worse than the couple of butterfly closures along the tip/side of my little finger.

Never carry anything else in the same pocket as you carry a folder. This is an accident waiting to happen. At best you will get something lodged in the folder such as keys, change, etc... and will not be able to open the folder when needed. At worst, you will open the blade and cut yourself.
    If you must carry a folder, carrying tip down, and having the spine of the blade tight against the rear seam of the pocket will help preclude accidental opening.

Quote Originally Posted by DI1 View Post

Never carry anything else in the same pocket as you carry a folder. This is an accident waiting to happen. At best you will get something lodged in the folder such as keys, change, etc... and will not be able to open the folder when needed. At worst, you will open the blade and cut yourself.
    If you must carry a folder, carrying tip down, and having the spine of the blade tight against the rear seam of the pocket will help preclude accidental opening.
    I don't have the luxury of giving up an entire pocket just for a knife. That being said... I have carried a spyderco stretch loose in pants pockets with other things since 2011 and have never had an accidental deployment.

Happened to me two different ways. I've since learned to pinch the knife from the outside prior to inserting a hand. This can be done with a small knife over two layers of 13 oz canvas pants. I've found instances where I needed to close the knife and avoided the gash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I carry tip down, with a finger activated deal on the rear spine of the knife. No hole/stud. I figit a lot so 90million times a day I run a finger over the blade to make sure it's closed/pressed for my into the edge of my pocket. Never ever had it open.

Good safety tip, thanks for posting.

My Kershaw 1660 Leek has a little locking device at the tip, that holds the blade in place. Might be an option for some.

I like my Griptilian (regular size) a little better than the leek; it seems much more robustly constructed, at least as far as the blade thickness etc. I worried about bending the top of the leek and rarely carry it. Thing is wicked sharp, though.

I usually end up with my Grip carried tip up, left hand front pocket, clip reversed (I'm a lefty). I hadn't given this much thought but will definitely keep an eye on it from now on.

User Tag List