Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best choices for portable steel targets?

This is the steel target that I use the most.

http://www.letargets.com/content/f1-...vot-popper.asp

Easy to transport and setup, good feedback when hit with rifle or pistol. The only down side is with multiple rapid hits, it is leaning back and can deflect shots upward.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

MGM is the way to go. They used to offer discounts for stuff used in big matches, i.e. Iron man and stuff not painted.

I use 3 tacstrike 1/4 scales(1 regular and 2 ultra lite) and two of their 8" plates(I don't think they make them anymore). I use the plates on a steel challenge cap from mgm. I'm happy with them, have used rifle and pistol closer than recommended and they are still in good shape. If you go 1/4 scale I think the ultra lite is the way to go. Much lighter, hence easier to transport, and 2x4s are easy to replace when necessary. I find myself grabbing them over the regular 1/4 unless I'm running all 3 for some reason. I also recommend their arch frame carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    What's the difference between the Lolli- Popper and the Lolli-popper with AR shaft ?
    This is the Lolli-Popper with the AR shaft:

The target and shaft are cut from one piece of AR-500. They don't move as much as the fiberglass mounted shafts. I've never fired slugs at the AR shaft models and don't know if they'd move enough to make me comfortable (but I suspect they would). I've got some of these mounted on the moving target we use and it is an awesome combination.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

This thread prompted me to check out MGM again. I'm pretty sure I'm going to order the Lollipopper next week. We ordered a plate rack last year. It's good quality and they're easy to work with

I'm looking at the tax strike steel targets but I'm open to other suggestions.
    I have two of the "BMI" swinger targets and their CPaSS target stands. They have held up to 556 at 100 yards and 9/40 at <10 yards.
    My range uses 1x2 supports for paper target stands; the tac strike swinger cross bar uses 2x2 supports, as does the CPaSS.
    I leave my 2x2 supports at the range and bring everything else home. It is compact but heavy.
    My range specifies "free hanging" steel targets so I have not tried things like the lollipop.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    This is the Lolli-Popper with the AR shaft:

The target and shaft are cut from one piece of AR-500. They don't move as much as the fiberglass mounted shafts. I've never fired slugs at the AR shaft models and don't know if they'd move enough to make me comfortable (but I suspect they would). I've got some of these mounted on the moving target we use and it is an awesome combination.
    Thanks. That seems to address GJM's concerns regarding the fiberglass shafts.

Thanks. That seems to address GJM's concerns regarding the fiberglass shafts.
    Also, the fiberglass shafts come standard with split loom like thst used for wiring. The split loom pretty much eliminates fiberglass splinters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Also, the fiberglass shafts come standard with split loom like thst used for wiring. The split loom pretty much eliminates fiberglass splinters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Having learned this the hard way, I think gloves are mandatory for handling the fiberglass wands. If you use them hard, that covering comes off, leaving the wands. Those fiberglass splinters are very unhappy in your hands.

One of those lollipops seems to weigh about the same as six of the steel challenge bases. We have stopped bringing the lollipop, on account of weight and handling, even if planning to shoot some rifle. We just designate one side of an eight inch steel for rifle, and if there are some small pocks from closer hits, they stay on one side.

It would have to be a rifle or slug intensive session for us to drag out the lollipop base anymore.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    The MGM FAQ has a bolded disclaimer which says not to use M193 5.56mm on their steel, because "such ammunition is designed to penetrate steel and will cause severe damage." Is this true? I know M193 of course has higher velocity than say, M855, and faster bullets seem to wear out steel faster than slower ones, but is M193 really a no-go?

User Tag List