Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best choices for portable steel targets?

Site Supporter

Best choices for portable steel targets?

I currently have access to a members only portion of an outdoor shooting range. Members can bring their own targets and target stands for use in the members only bays.

I'm looking to pick up some reasonably portable steel targets for handgun and possible 5.56 rifle use. These will need to be stored in my garage transported to the range set up and broken down every time they are used. So portability and ease of assembly are highly desirable.

I'm looking at the tax strike steel targets but I'm open to other suggestions.

http://tacstrike.com/STEEL-TARGETS-and-STANDS/

I travel with my targets to the range. For steel, I am now exclusively using MGM steel challenge targets, mostly eight inch circles. They are reasonably priced, very portable, and use an easily replaced 2x4 as the vertical part.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

There seem to be two groups these days - those chasing the bottom of the market price wise and those that build very high quality at a higher price.

My all around favorite target is the MGM Lolli-Popper. First, it will take anything - pistol, rifle, or shotgun. It's the only steel target I'd fire slugs at for instance. I'd shoot rifle on one side of the plates and pistol on the other:

The plates are available in different sizes as well - 4", 6" or 8". If I were doing a lot of rifle work, I'd consider the ones made from all AR-500.

Second, you can add the BC Zone target it to it for more rifle-centric work. The BC is fairly unique in that you can shoot conventional rifle ammunition at ranges way closer than anything else - like 15 yards.

The target breaks down very easily, it literally slips together and if very compact when stored. It is not cheap but it is my gold standard for portable steel targets. www.mgmtargets.com/

Beside the Tac Strike, I'd also look at the Ready Ship Target from RSR. It's priced very reasonably but requires a greater stand-off distance when used with rifle ammo. https://www.rsrsteeltargets.com/product/000-RST.html

My other favorite, unappreciated target is the Rotator from Safe Direction. It looks deceptively easy but it isn't. It's one of the few designs out there that forces a shooter to break a shot in a time frame dictated by the target instead of themselves.

www.safedirection.com

If you want to go really inexpensive, there are a number of targets that will ship in a flat rate box that use rebar you supply for legs. This is one of the MGM models:
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    John,

What's the difference between the Lolli- Popper and the Lolli-popper with AR shaft ?

I have two of the MGM lollipop targets. They are great for rifle, up close, but a nuisance for pistol. They are relatively heavy, expensive and awkward to move (combination of weight, squiggly legs, edges). Worst part is the wands need replacement, and as they wear put off shards, necessitating gloves while handling them.

We have a couple of the Evil Roy targets from Action Target. It has a tripod base and a built in handle. The top rotates down, cutting the height on half.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    My other favorite, unappreciated target is the Rotator from Safe Direction. It looks deceptively easy but it isn't. It's one of the few designs out there that forces a shooter to break a shot in a time frame dictated by the target instead of themselves.

www.safedirection.com
    Echoing John. That is an excellent target, with plenty of learning and fun.

http://ravelingroup.com/wordpress1/t...hotgun-target/
    Last edited by ST911; 08-28-2015 at 09:23 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Any thoughts on gong-style targets vs. the supported-by-a-post style? MGM's steel challenge target looked good but it doesn't seem to be offered with an 8" plate anymore. Looking through John's links I noticed RSR's 8" Econo Gong which looks like it would work with target stand bases I already have. Just looking for a basic 6" or 8" target for pistol right now.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    Any thoughts on gong-style targets vs. the supported-by-a-post style? MGM's steel challenge target looked good but it doesn't seem to be offered with an 8" plate anymore. Looking through John's links I noticed RSR's 8" Econo Gong which looks like it would work with target stand bases I already have. Just looking for a basic 6" or 8" target for pistol right now.
    MGM makes 8", you just need to request them by phone.

User Tag List