Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Week 127: Warren Advanced 3-Second Standards

I dabbled with this one a bit at the end of a range session yesterday. I didn't' shoot the whole thing but shot some parts. I'll shoot it in earnest sometime later this week. Some impressions though…

I'm eating my own words re par times that I made in Bill's journal the other day. Given the time constraints, everything has to happen pretty flawlessly. I was using my work holster. Felt confident/good with the pars at the closer stations. At 10 yards I was ok if things happened smoothly. But if there was a bobble of any kind, I'd have to hurry faster than is prudent to get done under time. At 15, the wheels fell off time-wise for me. I ran a bunch of clean runs from there, but they were in the lower 4s, well over par. I didn't look at the splits, but I suspect I'll be fortunate to get 2 of 3 hits counting at this range.

t

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used): Gen3 G34, concealed under a polo shirt in a Keeper AIWB holster
    Targets used: USPSA Metric
    Total score out of the possible 63 points: 61/63
    Anything you noticed: I don't remember ever actually shooting this drill before. Was really pleased to equal nwhpfan's excellent score, quite honestly. One shot lost to jerking the trigger, the other lost to eye sprinting and the resulting bad aim. Times were pretty much 2-2.3 seconds for most of it. Times at the 15 yard line and shooting on the move were more like 2.5 to 2.7. As with some of the recent discussions in Bill Nesbitt's journal and the thread he started, I too find par times difficult to contend with unless they are set specifically for me. I either end up going artificially slow or artificially fast, both of which can easily lead to shooting errors.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Super impressive shooting fellas...

Thank you taadski!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I hope to shoot this soon, but I'm afraid - - - - - - - very afraid.

I'm not scared any more.

I used a 2011 Gen 3 G-17 , Blade Tech holster open carry.
    IDPA targets.
    54/63
    I had 7 misses and 2 shots over time. I didn't set the par time on my timer, just looked at the time after each string and made sure there was only 1 shot over time on each string. The par time was pretty quick. I had 1 miss at 7, 3 at 15, 1 on SHO and 2 on WHO. 1 over time at 10 and 1 advancing the first time. I enjoyed shooting this.

I got off my arse and shot this drill today. It was my first time shooting it. I'm still skeered a little.

Production rig with the 226. USPSA metric targets.
    Overall score was a 50/63.
    6 misses
    7 OT shots

Clean at the 5 and 7.
    Had an unexpected mini-catastrophe at the 10; went over time on two strings and down 2 points. Down 4
    At the 15 was more carnage. Over time on all three strings with 4 points down. Down 7
    Movement strings: 1 OT. Down 1
    SHO strings: Clean
    WHO strings: 1 shot over time . Down 1

Comments: This one burned me like I expected it would. I was in particular disappointed with the 10 yard shooting, as I can clean those strings. The shooting at the 15, time-wise, wasn't as much a surprise, but the 4 points down was also disappointing. On the plus side, I think this drill has isolated an area in which I need some substantial work. Some of the components are going to be regular training staples for a bit I think.

t

Robar G3 G34, TTI connector kit, WOTG sights
    JM Custom Kydex OWB v2
    IDPA targets

5y: 3/3, 3/3, 2/3
    7y: 3/3, 2/3, 2/3
    10y: 3/3, 2/3, 2/3
    15y: 2/3, 1/3, 1/3
    SHO: 3/3, 3/3, 2/3
    WHO: 1/3, 2/3, 2/3
    10y-5y: 2/3, 1/3, 1/3
    Total Score: 45/63

Notes: mentally tiring. We did the SHO/WHO at the end. My hand was shaking on the WHO which was the last string of the night. The 5 yard stuff should be gimmes for me.

Okay, knew this was gonna suck but fulfills my new mission in life to make those more challenged than others feel better.

Equipment: M&P .40 FS, CompTac OWB holster, hiking vest
    Target: IDPA
    Total score (Don't laugh) 26/63

Observations: 3 rounds in 3 seconds from the holster is not realistic for me at the moment. I think it may be a good goal though. Most I could get under time was 2 rounds and on the moving only 1. A 2.5 second draw just don't cut it. Something to keep working on.

User Tag List