Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAR CTT-Solutions Advanced Handgun - 2015-08-15/16 - Eagle Lake, TX

AAR CTT-Solutions Advanced Handgun - 2015-08-15/16 - Eagle Lake, TX

I apologize ahead of time for any vagueness, omissions, or mistakes in the AAR, as my notes are a bit incomplete, due to the fast tempo of the class and the large amount of discussion that arouse organically.

2-day pistol is a fast paced course designed to give students not only the technical but the practical understanding of the effective employment of their pistol in an extremely short period of time.

The CTT-Solutions pistol program of instruction is designed to give shooter specific answers based on operational experience of multiple vetted military/ LE sources, testing and historical data. All techniques taught are highly efficient and effective in the use of a pistol for combative engagements as opposed to sport shooting. The course requires the extensive use of steel targetry to accomplish rapid gains in skills with instant feedback as well as approximately 1000 rounds of ammunition per officer. The high round count and the use of steel give the shooter time and apparatus to refine his/her shooting technique based on the principles taught.
    This is my eleventh formal pistol-oriented course, including those that were more oriented toward low-light, vehicles, and combatives. I have also had some coursework in edged weapons, long gun, and medical. Almost all the courses I have attended have been taught by nationally reputable instructors. Like the last few classes I had taken, this was hosted by Matthew Shockey of Falcon Tactical http://www.falcontactical.net.

I used two different H&K P30LS with the Grayguns Reduced Reset Carry Perfection Package carried in condition 1, with X400 Ultra - Green lasers/lights mounted with the DG-11 and zeroed for 25 yards. Sights were Trijicon RMR RM06es mounted by L&M Precision, with Dawson Precision suppressor height front sights (the serrated sight for my old black one, the tritium sight for the new RAL8000 one) and Ameriglo suppressor height rear sight mounted behind the RMR. Lube was FIREClean, magazines were modified with Taylor Freelance Border Special +5 magazine extensions with the included Wolff springs (first generation baseplates loaded only up to +4 for the black, second generation baseplates for the RAL8000), carried using a Kytex Shooting Gear open top magazine carrier as my primary reload and an ITW FastMag Pistol as my secondary. Holster used was Safariland 6004-39512 modified to carry a P30LS with an RMR, with a single strap shroud on TD1, and an RCS Phantom using IWB soft loops was used on TD2. Round counts at the start of the class was at 15876 for the black P30LS, while it stood at 55 for the RAL8000.

Due to the excessive Texas heat, I did not attempt to run the course in my EDC set-up. Attire was Outdoor Research Ferrosi Pants, Outdoor Research Ignitor SS for TD1, Velocity Systems Rubgy Shirt MC for TD2, Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX, and Arc'teryx H·150 Riggers Belt. PPE used were Oakley M-Frames 3.0, MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X with gel earpads and OC Tactical headband; Arc'teryx Knee Caps were used for a short portion of the course where there was barricade work. A DARK Gen 3 IFAK was also carried on my belt.

Mike Pannone was the primary instructor. Class started at about 0905. Weather was very hot, reaching 97 °F, with minimal cloud cover and wind. There were 11 students in the class. Student firearms choices was my single H&K, a Beretta/Wilson 92G Brigadier Tactical, two M&Ps, and the rest Glocks, 19s, 17s, and a 34. Mike shot a CZ P-09 that had drop in CGW trigger parts. My H&K and a single Glock were red dot equipped, while mine was the only gun with a laser.

We started out signing waivers, and then moved straight out to the range. Mike stated that this class had been revamped relatively recently, and that the new curriculum would be a bit more structured than it was in the past. He explained that his coursework would be much more rooted in sports sciences and kinesiology than typical shooting classes; rather than teaching "advanced marksmanship", which Mike believe doesn't really exist, he would be trying to teach us and advanced understanding of the mechanics behind marksmanship.
    We then quickly covered some basic safety issues. Mike noted that pistols were far more portable than long arms, so it is much easier to be less aware of what one is muzzling. He spoke quickly about the four safety rules, but stressed muzzle discipline as being king, and that we were to keep the muzzle in a safe direction, which he defined as being a direction where an AD or ND would obviously not cause any harm.

Returning back to the meat of the class subject, Mike said that shooting is just shooting, the difficulty laid in how one applies it. For him, his goal is to give us something to take home and practice, so that one week from the end of the glass, we'd be better than when we left the class. Mike also told us that we would be using NRA B-8 quite often, along with reduced-size steel targets. Mike noted that trying to hit a full-sized IPSC steel target at 70 yards isn't all that different from trying to hit a 3×5 index card at 7 yards, but because of the mental knowledge of the distance, along with possible mechanical accuracy issues with the handgun itself, the 70 yard shot is generally harder for most people than the 7 yard shot. Something any dedicated shooter should find out is the intrinsic mechanical accuracy of their gun.

Mike then went over the grip. One wants to be high up on the backstrap as possible, in order to minimize the distance the hand is from the bore, and thus maximizing mechanical leverage over the handgun. One thing that Mike does to help that is to establish the master grip with the little and ring finger so high up that the middle finger must be jammed in and slides the little and ring finger down. The support hand then simply fills in the space left on the gun, with the off-hand thumb parallel to the barrel. Ideally, one does not want to lock their elbows, as this makes the elbows point down at the ground, and thus makes a very poor recoil absorption platform, as it allows the handgun to use the elbows as a pivot point to recoil upwards.

Next was the issue of breathing. The most stable position one has is the three or four seconds after exhaling, during the natural respiratory pause. This allows for the most steady sight picture, but one must take care to not and try to keep from breathing, as this will cause issues as one runs out of oxygen, e.g., quivering develops, vision distorts, etc. A common issue is that people will start to run out of oxygen while refusing to breathe, and then start to rush themselves to make the shot, and ends up throwing the shot as they simply just crank the shot off.
    In stance, simply square straight at the target; a slight bend in the knees is usually preferred, just enough so that the knees are over the toes. There is no need to over-exaggerate the posture, as this throws us into a position where we are not as familiar with keeping our balance.
    We then ran the first string of fire. At 10 yards, we were to put 10 rounds into the B-8, freestyle. After that, we would then move on to 10 rounds of SHO, then 10 rounds of WHO, pasting between each. We would be pasting each color with the right color tape, i.e., black tape for hits on the black on the B-8, white for the white hits on the B-8, and brown for the hits on the IPSC backer.

On the freestyle, I had no issues keeping all the shots in the 10 & X rings. SHO, I had one 8 ring hit, while the rest were all in the black. WHO, same score. I had one failure to lock back on empty, and 1 FTE, both with the RAL8000 P30LS.

Mike then went over the draw. One should strive to grab as high up the pistol as possible, the facilitate the be best master grip; if the draw is compromised, and one comes up with a grip that isn't as high up as possible, one can palm the top of the slide using the support hand, to force the pistol into a higher master grip. Mike has found that doing this, while costing precious time, will in the long run engender greater efficacy, as one gets back better recoil control, while a compromised grip would end up slowing down one's performance. Mike argues that one should try to shave as much time off the draw as possible, in order to give one's self the most time possible to align the sights and press the trigger; in fact, this is a recurring theme throughout the entire the class, the maximization of efficiency in manipulations to give ourselves the most time possible to pull the trigger. This also played into the idea of “conscious contradictions”, as Mike put it, one of the keystones of the class: one must consciously slow down during certain portions of the string of fire, and then speed back up again when needed, i.e., going fast during the draws and pressing out, but slowing down when pulling the trigger, then going back fast on the transition, etc.

For Mike, his hands come together in front of him, right about where a normal clapping position would be. He argues that while the four count draw is an excellent teaching tool for beginners, it lacks economy of motion, and its use slows down the draw. He estimates that good shooter can easily shave off a quarter second coming straight out with the gun once it clears the holster, versus keeping with the classic four count, L-shaped draw.

Our next set of drills was to draw at the 7 yard line, for a total of 30 draws, and fire at the A zone each time. Mike noted that each course of fire in his class tends to be centered around the idea of 15 round increments, simply because of his time in the AWG, which issued the Glock 19. Ideally, for this particular drill, we should strive for at least an 80% hit rate on the A zone; a 100% hit rate would suggest we were going too slow, and not pushing ourselves enough, and would thus eventually stagnate, while having a lower hit rate would mean we were going too fast, too far out of our skill levels. Ideally, this drill should be seen as an exercise of independence of events, as the drawstroke is a completely separate event from the firing of the handgun; we should master the ability to separate the two acts, as it is far too common an occurrence where a shooter will attempt to make up a slow draw by firing faster, which means not only a botched draw, but a probable miss.

I had a single drop outside the A zone, into the C. I was also having consistent failure to ejects with the RAL8000 P30LS, enough that I gave up on using it for the rest of the day, switching to the proven black P30LS. The original plan had been to wring it out through the class and to run it as my carry gun and retire the black P30LS as the practice gun, but this did not work out as planned.

After the draws, we then went back to the B-8 target, firing 10 rounds at 10 yards.

I had one dropped shot outside the black, a low right shot into the 8 ring; the rest were in the black.

For reloads, Mike simply brings the gun in, cant it so that it looks like he's reading the slide, and then inserts the magazine; as he says, there's no reason to make it excessively artificial, the gun will come in naturally to where you want it to be. For magazines that stick, he prefers to simply strip out the stuck mag using the support hand index finger as it comes up with a fresh mag; shaking the gun to free the magazine is not reliable, and thus creates time and accuracy penalties. As for how to drop the slide, Mike argues that almost every single modern handgun has almost all the controls accessible to the right-handed shooter's thumbs, and there is no real reason to do a slingshot or powerstroke to drop the slide. If one cannot reach the slide release with the strong hand thumb, simply use the off-hand thumb: return the off-hand into the start of the grip, drop the slide, then complete the grip. If left-handed, one can come under the gun with the off hand, toward the back of the slide, then rake the fingers forward and downward until the slide release is hit. Using the powerstroke or slingshot is not more reliable, but is in fact generally less reliable, as many people have the tendency to ride the slide forward, thus creating further malfunctions.

We then ran a 1-reload-1 drill, a total of 15 times.

Once again, I dropped one out of the A zone, into the C.

Mike then went over the idea of acceptable sight picture. At 10 yards, shot at the A zone of the IPSC target with the front sight centered, but all the way at the bottom of the rear sight notch, then all the way over the rear sight, then he placed the sights at even height, but all the way to the left, then all the way to the right. Even with these terrible sight pictures, Mike was easily able to score A zone hits. The lesson behind this is that as long as the front sight is within the rear sight notch, alignment is not critical when aiming at something as large as an A zone hit at these distances. Thus, misses outside the A zone are not due to poor sight alignment so much as trigger issues or flat out ignoring the sights. Mike also argues that one shouldn't "overanalyze" the sight picture; waiting too long, trying to get the perfect sight picture, rarely works, as most people get impatient and end up with a sloppy, rushed trigger press, even if they did find the perfect sight picture.

I had seen this demoed by Todd Louis Green in one of my earliest shooting classes, but it's always a very stark reminder of just how much trigger control matters when taking a shot, versus trying to get the perfect sight picture.

Mike then went back to giving us some thoughts on issues with manipulating the slide rather than the slide release for trying to send a slide forward. One of the things he noted was that when powerstroking, many people tend to change their stance to a more bladed position, in order to keep the muzzle down range. This opens them up to being shot from the side, which has the potential to damage multiple organs, and thus be far more lethal than a shot that went front to back, which would have much less damage. For those that wear armor, this is particularly relevant, since front and back plates are standard, but side plates not as much so. Mike noted that in his time in the military, he saw many people who survived multiple shots from being hit from the front or back; very rarely did those who were hit from the side and bisected by the bullet survive. Thus, if one were to be wedded to manipulating the slide to drop it, Mike would prefer a slingshot over a powerstroke, as it is also slightly more efficient, by rolling the gun inward and pinching it.

For the tap-rack-bang procedure, Mike simply doesn't see the point of rolling the gun outward so that the ejection port is facing down; the extractor should not need gravity to help it eject a round, while a right-handed shooter rolling it outward means that there's no way to visually inspect the ejection port. One might also accidentally cover up the ejection port when using a powerstroke, so again, use a slingshot procedure for this.

This segued into the issue of appendix carrying and the supposedly dangers associated with it. Mike notes that appendix is one of the few positions where one can actually easily see where the gun is going while holstering; far too often, he has seen people attempt to holster in a strong-side holster and simply point the muzzle of the gun right into their own stomachs as they hunted for the opening of the holster without looking. Mike personally uses the thumb to track against the body while holstering, thus ensuring that the muzzle is oriented outward, away from the body.

We then ran the rabbit drill at 10 yards against the reduced sized IPSC steel targets. At 10 yards, we would pair up; one student would be the rabbit, while the other would be the coyote. The rabbit would assume a static position of some sort, that the coyote would mimic. The rabbit would then initiate the draw and try to hit the target as soon as possible; the coyote would have to react strictly off of the rabbit, and could not start until the rabbit did. This would be done with a draw incorporated at first, then with a one-reload-one, then finally SHO, with about one magazine worth of runs for each position. Mike stated that this drill was excellent for getting one's speed up, as it forces the coyote to have to go as fast as possible to have even a ghost of a chance to beat the rabbit.

I paired up with the host of the class, Matt, who was running an RMR'd Glock 22 out of an ALS holster, which left me at a distinct disadvantage, due to my SLS retention. He suggested that I run without the hood, but I declined to, mainly because every time I've tried to cheat a drill by leaving the hood off, I ended up fumbling for the hood release that wasn't there. While I was unable to beat him as the coyote in the draw only, I would sometimes come up ahead when starting as the rabbit. When reloads were incorporated, I was able to win, both as the coyote and rabbit. SHO, the advantage once again went back to Matt.

After the rabbit drill, we once again ran a B-8 target, firing 10 rounds at 15 yards.

I had one in the 9 ring, one in the X ring, and the rest in the 10 ring

At this point, 1200, we broke for lunch.

We resumed class at 1405, and started out once again with the B-8s, this time at 20 yards.

I had two in the 8 ring, one in the X ring, and the rest in the 10 ring. I suppose Taco Tony's Sysco products did a number on me.

We then moved on to the issue of target to target transition. Mike stated that the transition is an excellent way to make up time, to drive the gun faster from target to target rather than trying to make up time on the splits. Ideally, the shot-to-shot cadence should be about even with the transition split, i.e., it should sound like a string of four shots onto a single target rather than a string of two shots on a target, pause, then a second string of two shots, which Mike does demo at a nice even pace, running the 2-1-2 drill (draw, 2 shots on the first target into the A zone, transition, 2 more shots into the A zone). Mike stated the importance of cuing off one's sights, letting the sights limit one's actions in order to maintain accuracy while going at speed.

We then shot the 2-1-2 drill at 7 yards, pairing up and then creating 2 lines. Targets were taped between each line. Ideally, one should be shooting this at about a 2.5 second time when coming from concealed or from a retention holster, while an open top would be cut down to about 2.25 seconds. Having 1 A and 1 C zone hit is acceptable when trying to push for speed; Mike stated that up close, speed is king, as one should have a decent enough slide index to be able to stay on target. Mike felt strongly enough about the keeping of the cadence that he'd rather one slow down the splits in order to go faster on the transitions; one should be transitioning to the second target during the recoil of the second shot, rather than riding the recoil back down to the first target then transitioning to the second target. Mike estimates that one could easily lose up to a quarter second if one doesn't transition during recoil recovery, but instead afterwards.

I had some issues going from the left target to the right target; I'd over adjust and miss, the right target, while this issue did not appear while going right to left.

He notes that if one has a decent index, going too fast will manifest itself as going high, as one is firing before the slide has settled properly. Mike also talked about forcing one's self to go slow in order to get proper hits, and how that can often end up conditioning one to go slower and slower, which makes it a dangerous downward spiral. He also talked about not losing the front sight during a string of fire; once it is lost, one will most likely not get it back until the end of the string of fire, thus detrimentally affecting accuracy ones the front sight is lost.

Mike then showed us just how balance and stance affected our shooting, by having us shooting at 10 yards against steel, while standing on just one foot. While one can certainly shoot that way, it is overall a much less stable platform, and thus costs time and accuracy. Mike argues that one should simply stand up normally when shooting, rather than going into any distinct position that we would use only when shooting, as people are most used to the balance they have when standing normally. After the simple draw and shoot on one foot, we then had to draw, shoot, reload, then shoot again. This was far more difficult, as most people had a habit of changing their center of gravity as they reached for the fresh magazine.

I didn't have too many problems with the draw and shoot, but my tendency to lean right to have better access to my magazine as I reloaded threw me off balance. Plenty of other students' greatest challenge was simply finding the balance on one foot.

We then ran the 2-1-2 drills again on the IPSC targets, this time timed, each student shooting it thrice.

I fumbled the hood on my holster the first go around. Splits-wise, I was in the high 0.30s and low 0.40s, with the splits between my same target shots and my transitions being roughly the same. I was definitely one of the slowest shooters split-wise on this drill. I dropped only one shot, low into the C zone.

We then started a walkback drill on the steel targets, starting from the 25 yards and moving back at 5 yard increments, having to hit the target once each using freestyle, SHO, and WHO. Upon reaching 60 yards, we were to have 3 freestyle hits.

I missed twice on the WHO at 45 yards, and once SHO and once WHO at the 55 yards. One of the students shooting an M&P9 started having issues hitting the steel at longer ranges, and it would appear to be that the gun itself was partially to blame, as Mike was unable to consistently hit the plates freestyle using that particular gun.

After that, we then shot the B-8 at 25 yards, 10 rounds as usual.

I dropped one round out of the black, into the 8 ring.

Class ended at this point, at 1625.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 08-26-2015 at 09:40 PM.

Class started at 0900 on TD2. Weather was once again quite hot, with very little wind and relatively little cloud cover, though slightly cooler than TD1, with temperatures reaching 92 °F. There was a tiny bit of rain in the afternoon, which brought with it some cloud cover during that time, but the sun broke through again afterwards. Making phenomenally stupid mistake on my part, I was forced to run AIWB with my RCS Phantom, as I had idiotically left my 6004 on the kitchen table at home; Mike had me run with the shirt tucked behind the holster, so it was not concealed, in the interest of safety. I went back to the RAL8000 P30LS for most of the class.

We started out with a very quick safety brief, reiterating the emphasis on muzzle discipline. Mike than went over the issue of how practicing with a one shot draw vs. a two shot draw can create substantially different times, with the one shot draw being much faster than the first shot on the two shot draw. This would be due to the issue of people making a conscious effort to get a good grip on the gun on a two shot draw, while no such exertion is needed on a one shot draw.

This was definitely a phenomenon that I have independently noticed, at least in my own training, as I would be consistently be at least 0.1 seconds faster on a one shot draw, which is why I no longer do that in training.

Mike also noted that splits can also be slower when transitioning from a DA shot to an SA shot; this is not due to the "difference in reset" that common knowledge claims is an issue, but due to the differences in force needed for a DA trigger pull versus an SA trigger pull, and adapting to that difference. However, while noticeable, the difference is usually negligible in any kind of shooting outside of raw mag dumps.

Mike then elaborated on his idea of "range of comfortable action". He stated that one should constantly try to go faster and faster, to bump up one's comfortable range of action, while if one goes slow, one will end up going slower and slower, and bring down ones comfortable range of action.

After that, Mike then spoke about the importance of having one's pelvis pointed at the direction one is shooting. This creates a sort of symmetry, and aids in the body's natural point of aim. If not properly facing the target, then one is in tension, and recoil will cause one to release the tension slightly with each shot, and then throw the body into a more natural, which would not be facing the target. It also ties back into the idea of being armored and maximize the armor exposed, along with issues of being shot from the front versus getting hit by a bisecting shot.

Mike then noted that the human body is generally fairly elevation forgiving, while not very windage forgiving, as the human body presents a profile that much taller than it is wide. Mike stated that one generally is aiming purely using body positioning, and that the sights are used for fine tuning/verification. He ran a demo, where he shot at an IPSC target at 7 yards, and was able to keep 11 shots out of 14 in the A zone, with 3 in the C, without using any sights at all. He noted that the first DA shot was low left, due to no feedback from the sights to keep the gun properly aligned when applying that much pressure on the trigger. The ability to keep all the shots on target, at speed, without using sights, indicated that Mike had a mastery of gross aiming, using purely body mechanics.

He then ran a demo showing his thoughts on splits. He noted that when one is starting to reach sub-0.2 seconds, one is at the edge of control due to most people's ability to process the feedback provided by the sights. One much manage time & accuracy at range, and he noted that splits are often a very small portion of the time overall in any kind of string of fire, compared to draws, transitions, reloads, etc.; splits are certainly important, but they're also the least important component. While shooting fast can be quite theatrical, the small increases in splits is almost never worth the cost of accuracy that comes with it, once one hits a certain point. Mike also noted that different guns will have different splits, not just due to bore axis and the such, but also due to the speed the slide returns to battery.

We then ran the pelvic alignment drill, which is simply shooting at the target without sights but properly squared up to the target, at 7 yards. Mike had has hold the handgun distinctly below the sightline, to insure that we weren't using a slide index.

I was able to score mostly A hits, with just a couple of Cs. This definitely showcased the body's natural ability to index the weapon.

We then ran a magazine worth of ammo doing two shot drills to maximize splits, no draws. After that, we then did that timed, three times.

I was the only person with splits over .30, being well into the mid .40s, though I only dropped one shot out of the A. Splits have long been a weak suit of mine, most likely a combination of poor upper body strength, poor sight tracking, and the slightly higher bore axis of the P30LS.

Mike noted that 1911s generally return to battery the fastest, closely followed by the various striker fired guns, while most hammer fired guns are slower, as the slide is retarded by the act of cocking the hammer. However, this also means that most hammer fired guns have softer perceived recoil than a striker fired gun, as the recoil impulse is stretched out longer, due to having to cock the hammer. Mike notes that he can definitely notice a difference in his splits between the P-07 and the P-09, with the P-09 being slower due to the longer slide. Obviously, while this issue is statistically significant when going for raw speed, it is generally of little consequence over an entire string of fire.

We then ran the 2-1-2 drill again, timed, from the draw.

One of the students was a textbook case of having a faster overall time, despite having slower splits on each individual target, as he gave up raw split times for a faster transition. On my run, Mike noted that my ~1.8 draw speed was far too slow, and that I should be able to break 1.5. My splits were once again one of the slowest in the class, in the mid-0.3s to 0.4s.

Mike noted that at these distances, the transition split should be within 0.1 second of the splits on the individual targets. The slower ones standard splits are, the closer ones transition splits to be to the standard splits. Mike stressed that an ideal 2-1-2 drill should sound like one is engaging a single target, and demoed it with a 2.07 run that sounded exactly like that. One should be riding the recoil to the next target to maximize efficiency. Mike once again stressed that accuracy should be prioritize over running splits to the ragged edge of performance, no matter the context. A 0.05 second difference in splits can be the difference between an A zone hit or a C zone or clean miss, in a competitive environment; in a self-defense/military/LE environment, the consequences can obviously be far direr.

Mike then attempted to run a demo on cadence using an array of steel targets, standing 10 yards from the center target, hitting each target twice. His first run was an attempt to maximize split times on each individual target, which had him run it clean. He then artificially slowed himself down to try to have the same splits on the same target and on the transition, and ended up dropping multiple shots. Mike noted that this occurred because by forcing himself to slow down, he ended up disturbing his natural timing, and thus caused the misses. One should strive to shoot at the pace one can process the sights, and to not go faster or slower.

We then also ran this drill, firing 2 rounds at each target, standing at 10 yards from the middle steel plate. This was run three times for each student, timed.

I had two clean runs, while one of them had 4 drop shots; my clean runs where in the ~8s.

Mike noted that for this drill, one should try to shoot pairs, i.e., a single sight picture for the two shots. Once again, he stressed the the time gained with such speed is not worth the accuracy lost. He also noted that many students missed the last shot on the last plate; he attributed that to people checking out once they reached the last target and the last shot, and coming off target too soon. This is apparently a common problem for any kind of multiple target strings, and he quoted something Rob Leatham: "always shoot the last plate". People tend to think about the clock for these strings of fire, rather than their sights. Also, when going too fast, one may not let the sights settle all the way before pulling the trigger again, letting the round go high over the target. Mike had us practice transitions by shooting two plates, back and forth, trying to speed up until we started missing.

We then set up a gauntlet of sorts:

Each target was to be hit twice, as we moved down the gauntlet. Mike noted that the fastest times may arise from non-clean runs. Ideally, one should not have more than two dropped shots, as this indicates one is probably going too fast.

My first run was about ~10 seconds, including an FTE; at this point, I had run out of Speer Lawman that I had been using in the morning, and was back to the weak Remington UMC. I had 4 misses, and had issues with moving too fast, and thus moving too close to the steel targets while still engaging. My second run was slower, at ~14 seconds, yet I still had 4 misses. All of my misses were on the second shot, and Mike figured it was because I had already mentally moved on to the next target, and thus was moving my gun off target before I could pull the trigger.

We then ran a 25 yard B-8 bullseye.

I wound up shooting the same target as another student on accident, so I was not sure how I scored.

At this time, 1155, we broke for lunch.

Class resumed at 1330, starting again with a 25 yard B-8 bulls.

I had a decent group, which would have probably all been in the black, if the group hadn't about 3 inches high.

We then ran the FASTest. According to Mike, the goal is to clear the drill within 5 seconds when running from concealment or an active retention holster like an SLS. The goal is to hit the head A zone twice, slide lock reload, then 4 into the A on the body, all at 7 yards. We were given a chance to practice this before we were run timed.

This was a drill I was intimately familiar with, as I often frequent pistol-training.com, and had trained with Todd Louis Green in one of my early pistol classes. I tried to game the practice time by practicing only the draw and 2 shots into the credit card, as those have consistently been my slowest segments of the drill, but Mike had me practice the whole thing. My timed run was terrible, coming in at 5.01, but dropping a head and two body shots. My usual times were ~5.5 clean when I'm warmed up, ~6 when I'm not, so I clearly went way too fast to be accurate, despite Mike's repeated statements to do exactly not that.

We then set up the steel targets in a line again, and then had each target paired with a VTAC barricade, about 15 yards back. For shooting through ports, Mike stated the most important principle is keep the center of your body weight over the center of your base, to maximize stability (including when on the ground). When working the bottom ports, one should work forward as one progresses to the next port, rather than pushing back; the primary reason for that is that one can see where one is going, with the secondary benefit of not pushing kit or gear out of pouches if one was jocked up.

After a magazine or two spent at the barricades, we then moved them back to 20 yards, and then ran it as a line, moving from barricade to barricade; starting either at the highest port or else the lowest port that wasn't on the bottom, engage the target three times, then move to the next barricade and work one's way through the ports, going up or down.

I had some mild offset issues, nicking the edges of the ports; I had considered jamming my gun through the ports and using them to help stabilize the gun while also sidestepping the offset issues, but I felt that doing that would be less useful in terms of training repetitions. I also had multiple FTEs once again, perhaps the reliability issues being exacerbated by my compromised grip.

Mike then spoke about how he strongly preferred to step out to work around a barricade, rather than leaning, due to the fact that leans realized on tension, and thus compromised stability and recoil control, and thus also reduce accuracy and speed.

We then went back to the B-8 targets, and ran several drills off of that. The first was the standard B-8 at 25 yards; next was the B-8 run as a shoot-reload-shoot drill, to try and force us to go fast with some actions and then slow down for others. After that, we then ran the speed bull, a 10 round drill in which one strived to hit the B-8 target at 25 yards; scoring for hits on the B-8 target is counted by the numbers, while any hits off the B-8 are counted using USPSA scoring, which includes hit factor. One then divides that score by the time it took to shoot the drill, thus creating a drill that forces the shooter to balance speed with accuracy; ideally, one would want to end with a score of 8 or higher (Mike attempts to shoot at least a 10).

My standard B-8 bullseye was run with the RAL8000 P30LS, and it went high to the right once again. At this point, I decided I couldn't trust the zero on it, and switched back to the black P30LS, which I was confident had a confirmed zero. On the speed bull, my first score was ~5.5, while my second was an ~8.75, as I had a much better time (cut about 4 seconds off my run) and a slightly better score.

We then ran what Mike called the CZ challenges. On the first challenge, starting at the ready position, each student had three tries to get the fastest DA shot onto a reduced size steel target at 25 yards. On the second, challenge, we moved back to 30 yards, and had unlimited time to make a WHO DA shot on the steel; those who were able to, then tried it timed, to see who the winner was.

For the freestyle shots from the ready, I clocked at about ~1.2 seconds for my first two shots, both hitting the target, while my final shot was at 0.9, but was a miss. I also missed the untimed WHO shot, much to my chagrin, so was unable to do the timed shot. The winners were 0.85 seconds for the freestyle, and 1.57 for the WHO; both received a CZ ball cap at the end of the class.

We then did a walkback drill, starting at the 30 yard, one hit each using freestyle, SHO, and WHO, and then moved back in 5 yard increments, until reaching the 75 yard line, where we were to have 3 hits freestyle.

Class then ended at this point, at 1640. Certificates were handed out, and Mike had a small selection of merchandise for sale.

Sadly, Mike did not have any shirts in size small, which appears to be a recurring theme within the training/tactical industry.

This class definitely had the most longer range shooting for a pistol course. I was not particularly happy with my long range performance, which I found to be mediocre compare to my usual performance; I was definitely less than happy with my results at speed, which was slow and somewhat inconsistent, in part due to my tendency to stage the trigger and then attempting to jerk through the wall. I found the ideas behind keeping a steady cadence even during transitions to be very interesting, and will be attempting to incorporate that into my practice, along with some of the drills that balanced speed and accuracy. The ideas of minimizing movement in general during the draws, reloads, etc., particularly my tendency to lean right during such acts, is also something I'll try to take to heart; I've had multiple instructors speak of my superfluous movements, and while I've cut down on such movements more and more, they're definitely still there. I also really enjoyed the fact that we constantly pasted up the targets for very single drill, so an accuracy standard was maintained throughout the entire course; this is certainly something that many classes I've attended did not adhere to consistently. It was also the first course where I had significant equipment issues, but this was something I had somewhat expected, due to how new the RAL8000 P30LS was.

Gearwise, there were a couple of issues. The first was that the grit/sand at the range once again made my Fisher Space Pen AG7 lock up quite often; perhaps it's time I moved to a simpler pen for these courses. Beyond that, the 6004's SLS hood continues to stymie me at the most inopportune times; I will have to figure out either a way to modify an ALS holster, or else become even more consistent in my draws, in order to minimize the RMR snagging on the hood while the gun comes out the holster. I had some issues with the safety on the P30Les rubbing against the base of my thumb, along with the rubber on the DG switches rubbing the top of my support hand index finger, both of which caused discomfort but did not develop into actual blisters. Finally, there were the constant issues with the RAL P30LS. First off, the zero issue seems to have been a non-issue, as I had zeroed the gun prior to the class using Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P, and confirming zero a couple days after the class using Speer Law Man 115 gr. showed that the zero was still on, so I'm not sure what happened there; perhaps I was simply throwing the shots in a consistent manner, or else there really was that big a differential in zero between the weak Remington UMC and the Speer ammo. Beyond that, the constant failures to eject/feed/lock back seemed to have been mostly a break-in issue, perhaps exacerbated by the addition of the Cerakote; after some more shooting in the days after the class, along with much hand cycling of the slide, the RAL8000 seems to function as intended. I suspect that the Cerakote along the inside of the slide retarded the motion of the slide as it rubbed against the hammer during cycling, which caused the majority of the problems, and would explain why the hotter Speer ammunition exhibited no issues, along with the Fiocchi's better performance compared to the UMC and American Eagle. I also had some issues with the Kytex magazine pouch coming out with the magazine during reloads, an issue I had previously experienced in earlier classes; this would occur only when I wasn't in a standing position, and considering how I was wearing a thinner belt and the newer pouch was tighter than my EDC one, I will keep using the Kytex for EDC, as I have yet to ever have an issue with these pouches outside the class, though I will have to reconsider its use during classes.

Overall, 747 rounds were expended, 278 through the black P30LS, all of which were American Eagle 115 gr. (AE9DP), and 469 through the RAL8000, of which 72 were American Eagle 9mm 115 gr. (AE9DP), 35 were Fiocchi 115 gr. (9APCMJ), 138 were Speer Lawman 115 gr. (53615), and 224 were Remington UMC 115 gr. (L9MM3). No malfunctions occurred with the black P30LS, while multiple failures to feeds, failures to ejects, and failures to lock back occurred with the RAL8000, although none occurred with the Speer Lawman.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 08-26-2015 at 09:56 PM.

Sounds like a blasts! You have quite the gear set up as well! Was lunch on TD1 really 4 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Was lunch on TD1 really 4 hours?
    No, it was two hours, which is still excessive, but Taco Tony's, Eagle Lake's best Mexican restaurant (if only be default by being the only Mexican restaurant), was slower than usual, and most of us, including Mike, had gone there as a group, so there wasn't much we could do on that front.

Sounds a lot different than the class I took at the beginning of 2014. Cool that he's changed it up.

Cool, good writeup. Curious about the reloads though--if magazines don't drop free, why use support hand index finger to pry it out while coming up with the reload, as opposed to stripping it out on the way down? Also any notable reliability issues from the other shooters that you'd care to share? Curious about the Brig-Tac.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Curious about the reloads though--if magazines don't drop free, why use support hand index finger to pry it out while coming up with the reload, as opposed to stripping it out on the way down?
    I believe it's an issue of speed, as one's mags may not always stick, and the support hand may have already left the gun to grab a fresh magazine by the time the magazine ejection button is pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Also any notable reliability issues from the other shooters that you'd care to share? Curious about the Brig-Tac.
    The only truly problematic guns were mine and the host's; he had installed a KKM barrel into his Glock 22, and it appears to be out of spec and causing him to have failures to return to battery, something he's been fighting for a couple weeks now at this point. There was also the aforementioned M&P9 with the accuracy issue, and multiple "light strikes" with the P09 during the CZ challenge, which Mike attributed more to the excessively hard European primers being used in some of the ammo (a second strike usually resulted in ignition) than an issue with the gun itself. The Brigadier Tactical is actually owned by Hizzie, he can probably speak more to it; the only noticeable issues he had with it that I can recall was the aggressive texture of the grips giving him some issue, and I believe he busted a tritium vial on one of the sights.

Thanks for the in depth review. I took the class last year and did notice some differences. I don't know how much of that is changes in the ciriculum and how much was due to the fact that even though we had a supposedly vetted class, many of them didn't belong in an advanced class.

OP, add me as another member who appreciates your time to share your experience. Mike will be in AZ in Oct. I'm not sure if there are spots left but if the stars align I might be able to take one of his classes.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Thanks for the in depth review. I took the class last year and did notice some differences. I don't know how much of that is changes in the ciriculum and how much was due to the fact that even though we had a supposedly vetted class, many of them didn't belong in an advanced class.
    What led you to believe some of the students "didn't belong"?

I ask because I would hate to attend any class if my current skills were either severely lacking or surpassing the curriculum being taught.

Thanks for an excellent AAR!
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List