Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which powder?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Yeah, but when "they" start shooting the stuff up faster than you can load it…

Then you tell "them" that they can help load (and help buy components).

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Then you tell "them" that they can help load (and help buy components).
    Its not the money; that we got. Its the time to crank the stuff out.

And do you REALLY want someone else loading for you? This isn't making the kid mow the yard to your satisfaction; if I were to install one of them behind the Dillon, I would watch them like a hawk every step of the way. Might as well do it myself.

Regarding the VV powder, no doubt it is the cleanest-burning powder available to reloaders. But according to my local loading supply shop guy, who is an old friend and won't bullshit me, VV powder is difficult to come by and priced accordingly by his suppliers. I bought a pound of N320 last month from him for $41.95 before taxes; yikes. WST is about halfway between N320 and, say, Unique on the get-your-gun-dirty scale. I can live with that; solvent and patches are still reasonably priced.

I was wondering why nobody has mentioned 231 yet; then realized that, due to its immense popularity, its probably more difficult to find than anything.

OP, sorry for the thread drift. Its just that your mentioned powders are not exactly in main stream use by pistol reloaders. As previous mentioned, Powder Valley usually has what you want, and while you'll get penetrated by the haz-mat fee, it won't be a full blown rape. I should take my own advice and bulk order from PV, but I simply never think about, as I go to my local "powder store" rather frequently. Local sales taxes or haz-mat fees, "they" will get you coming or going… sometimes both.

Its not the money; that we got. Its the time to crank the stuff out.

And do you REALLY want someone else loading for you? This isn't making the kid mow the yard to your satisfaction; if I were to install one of them behind the Dillon, I would watch them like a hawk every step of the way. Might as well do it myself.
    That depends on what I know their level of attention to detail to be. My wife? Sure, she'd be good to go once I showed her how it works and pointed out a few "gotchas" to her. I know she'd turn out high quality ammo and would have no qualms expecting it to be accurate and make power factor at a major match. A random stranger? Hell no, I'd be worried about my safety. Obviously you know far better than anyone else what level of trust you should have for your grandsons' abilities to get it right, and I wouldn't even think about questioning your judgement in that.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, but when "they" start shooting the stuff up faster than you can load it…

Have you taught the grandsons how to load? Sounds like an untapped free labor force.

OP, sorry for the thread drift. Its just that your mentioned powders are not exactly in main stream use by pistol reloaders.

Totally understand. Believe me, I read a million "favorite pistol powder" or "best 9mm powder" threads on a ton of sites. The problem was that when I went looking for the ones people were talking about I couldn't find them.

My list was simply three powders that could work that I saw available at more than one place which made me think they were easier to come by.

I was wondering why nobody has mentioned 231 yet; then realized that, due to its immense popularity, its probably more difficult to find than anything

Win 231 (and HP38, which is the same powder) lives in my Dillon 9mm setup.

At the 2015 IDPA Indoor Nationals they published a survey on equipment used. The most used powder by a very large margin was Titegroup. 36 people said they used Titegroup and the next closest powder was VV N320 with 6, with a scattering of many other powders.

I am loading Bayou coated bullets with Titegroup. There is a little smoke, but I don't notice it when I'm shooting. Almost all of my shooting is outdoors, but this was the Indoor Nationals with some low light stages where so many used Titegroup.

http://www.expansion-industries.com/...p/etr7-1lb.htm

I use this stuff because I can get, as much as I want, whenever I want it. Availability has become my golden standard; I shoot Hi-Tek coated bullets in 9 and 45 ETR-7 works very well in both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Have you taught the grandsons how to load?
    Nope. Various reasons for that, but it ain't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I am loading Bayou coated bullets with Titegroup.
    I tried Titegroup once, was not impressed. It seemed to burn extra "hot", so I shot a couple into the water tank. Sure enough, the bases were partially flowed… as in starting to melt. These were Bayou Bullets.

PM inbound.

User Tag List