Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone put enough rounds through a Ruger LCR...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    ... he spent quality time in a Cavalry squadron, which is the pinnacle of social status.
    Dunno about that. I do know that there are TWO kinds of land navigation; one via LPC (Leather Personnel Carrier), and one sitting in the TC turret of a track while doing 30 mph.

The latter was- shall we say- abruptly educational.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    6oz extra on my ankle can in fact be a big deal at times. Although I am looking for a .357mag LCR now to train more with, using .38s
    3.6 oz if you are comparing the .38 to the .357.

From Ruger's website:
    .38 Weight: 13.5 oz.
    .357 Weight: 17.1 oz.

Each to their own, but my previous backup gun was 13.5 oz and I've seen zero difference between them in an ankle holster, and I've carried the .357 LCR since they came out. I carry my BUG on one ankle and cuffs and a flashlight on the other. It balances out nicely and is no different than wearing boots in the way it feels.

FWIW I have been issued a .357 LCR for two years now. I honestly don't know how many rounds I have put through it besides quarterly qualifications. I carried a .38 LCR for about 3 years before this one.
    The .357 LCR sometimes gets a little sticky cylinder release where it is hard to open. That may just be trash in there, I don't know. I shoot it and clean it once in a blue moon.
    Good revolver and I would buy one with my own dime and not worry about it.
    I usually pocket carry the LCR but sometimes carry it AIWB. Depends on what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Dunno about that. I do know that there are TWO kinds of land navigation; one via LPC (Leather Personnel Carrier), and one sitting in the TC turret of a track while doing 30 mph.

The latter was- shall we say- abruptly educational.

Well, that did take some transition time, but I never once got immersion foot while navigating an M-113, which isn't the case when I was navigating my LPCs. In addition, unlike M 60's and M-551's it was pretty tough (though not impossible) to get a track stuck in the mud. (It was, however, very easy to sink a 113 while trying to "swim" it).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Now this is very interesting. I NEVER get small .357's (because I dislike the pain from shooting them with .357s, while firing .38's in them just means more cleaning). However, I had no idea that Ruger used aluminum with one and steel with the other to reinforce the plastic. That certainly would suggest getting the .357 version (or sticking with j-frames).
    IIRC, the metal is not reinforcing plastic. Everything in the upper half of the revolver is metal. The only plastic is the lower half.

As was said earlier, no part having anything to do with critical tolerances or the combustion of the cartridge is plastic. The only thing the plastic houses is the fire control group.

So, if there's any problems with the cylinder, crane, forcing cone or barrel, it's because of metal problems. Nothing to do with plastic.
    Last edited by TGS; 08-28-2015 at 10:13 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    ... either the .38 or .357mag to know if they hold up to steady shooting?

I just picked up an LCR .38 a few days ago on a whim. About 100 rounds through it so far.
    Chuck, do you think the LCR is a reasonable pocket carry alternative to a J frame? They seem to be about the same size but the grip size of the LCR makes me wonder.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Chuck, do you think the LCR is a reasonable pocket carry alternative to a J frame? They seem to be about the same size but the grip size of the LCR makes me wonder.
    Yes, I do. All of the pockets that I can carry a J frame in work with my LCRs
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

There is also a smaller boot grip available for LCRs if the stock grip is too large.

I did an endurance test on a .38 LCR a while back.
    Measurements out of box, measurements after testing.

Rested accuracy testing with a variety of loads up front, repeated again at the end.
    Off-hand shooting drills.

5000 rounds of Black Hills +P for the main endurance run in the middle.
    Roughly 300 rounds of mixed for the rest.

At the end, the gun shot slightly better for accuracy.
    Measurable frame stretching (not extreme, just measurable), increased barrel/cylinder gap (still within acceptable tolerances).

Wore most of the Ruger logo off the rubber grip.

Concluded the gun can hold up.
    Denis

Good info.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List