Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone put enough rounds through a Ruger LCR...

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    You might not know who you're talking to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I am just trying to clarify things. He could be the firearms subject matter expert of subject matter experts/super cop/secret operator or whatever, the fact remains the only thing accurate he said so far is the LCR is ugly and that his is loose. I am just trying to inject facts into some misunderstandings and get clarification because I am interested.

Fact: the rattle is normal it is the transfer bar.
    Fact: all of the important cylinder tolerances are surrounded by metal not polymer.

So whatever, I may not know who I am talking to but on this particular subject I am pretty clear on what I am talking about. Cheers.
    Last edited by eb07; 08-26-2015 at 06:02 PM.

I've got a 1st year production LCR in my pocket that has over a 1000 rounds thru it (about half of that being +P) & been thru one of Claude's classes with it - it has never given me a moment of trouble. The LCR has a trigger reach closer to a D frame Colt than a J frame. That extra bit of length between the backstrap and the trigger face really helps me to keep the front sight from dipping just as the trigger breaks. I'm sure that this problem varies according to hand size, but when my trigger finger joint has to flex beyond 90 degrees to the bore line before the trigger breaks (which WILL happen to me with a J frame), that muzzle really wants to dive on me. On the J frame, that always left me with needing oversized grips to help reduce this problem. After using the LCR a few months, I sold off my beloved brace of tuned 342s because the LCR works better for me in terms of shootability.
    Also, I'm a full time gunsmith who is a snub revolver NUT - that LCR is the only thing I own that I haven't done an action job on. It was just fine out of the box & has only improved since. I understand that there is some variation in LCR actions, but the sample I've handled, sold, worked on, etc,,, are always smoother than out of the box J frames. Hey, they ARE ugly, but so are most modern designs to my 50 something eyes!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    I've got a 1st year production LCR in my pocket that has over a 1000 rounds thru it (about half of that being +P) & been thru one of Claude's classes with it - it has never given me a moment of trouble. The LCR has a trigger reach closer to a D frame Colt than a J frame. That extra bit of length between the backstrap and the trigger face really helps me to keep the front sight from dipping just as the trigger breaks. I'm sure that this problem varies according to hand size, but when my trigger finger joint has to flex beyond 90 degrees to the bore line before the trigger breaks (which WILL happen to me with a J frame), that muzzle really wants to dive on me. On the J frame, that always left me with needing oversized grips to help reduce this problem. After using the LCR a few months, I sold off my beloved brace of tuned 342s because the LCR works better for me in terms of shootability.
    Also, I'm a full time gunsmith who is a snub revolver NUT - that LCR is the only thing I own that I haven't done an action job on. It was just fine out of the box & has only improved since. I understand that there is some variation in LCR actions, but the sample I've handled, sold, worked on, etc,,, are always smoother than out of the box J frames. Hey, they ARE ugly, but so are most modern designs to my 50 something eyes!
    Wow, I never thought of the extra reach until I read your post. I chalked it up to the cam trigger system and the smooth pull. I shoot the LCR much better than a J frame as well, and the only other snub that came close was a Colt DS.

Thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    We have explained the rattle.... it's normal. You do understand that right? I posted the explanation above.

But what was loose? You still haven't said.
    _I_ explained that what was rattling wasn't the transfer bar; see post #9- again. You do understand what endshake is, right? Both types? Or maybe not.

Whatever. Sorry to have twisted your knickers.

I have no experience with them. But one of our armor's worships at the alter of Ruger, so for him to say anything negative about a Ruger product usually requires a therapy session afterward. When I asked about his opinion and experiences with the LCR he said that the 357 version is preferred to the 38 version as the 38 version isn't as durable. This is allegedly due to the aluminum in the 38 vs. the steel in the 357. When the 38's were demonstrating issues, it was the gun loosening up. End shake as LSP972 described is one of the issues that was occurring.

This is second hand information, so take it or leave it.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 08-27-2015 at 09:29 AM.

Site Supporter
    Many folks on here don't know the extreme depth and breadth of LSP972's (and 552's) experience with our craft and tools. I have a pretty good view of it and when he talks of endshake on any revolver, I'm going to listen.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I have no experience with them. But one of our armor's worships at the alter of Ruger, so for him to say anything negative about a Ruger product usually requires a therapy session afterward. When I asked about his opinion and experiences with the LCR he said that the 357 version is preferred to the 38 version as the 38 version isn't as durable. This is allegedly due to the aluminum in the 38 vs. the steel in the 357. When the 38's were demonstrating issues, it was the gun loosening up. End shake as LSP972 described is one of the issues that was occurring.

This is second hand information, so take it or leave it.
    Now this is very interesting. I NEVER get small .357's (because I dislike the pain from shooting them with .357s, while firing .38's in them just means more cleaning). However, I had no idea that Ruger used aluminum with one and steel with the other to reinforce the plastic. That certainly would suggest getting the .357 version (or sticking with j-frames).

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Many folks on here don't know the extreme depth and breadth of LSP972's (and 552's) experience with our craft and tools. I have a pretty good view of it and when he talks of endshake on any revolver, I'm going to listen.
    Amen. I'm sure that there must be a few revolver smiths who know more than he does about revolvers, but his knowledge can be fairly described as "encyclopedic." Besides, although he was an 11B, he spent quality time in a Cavalry squadron, which is the pinnacle of social status.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Now this is very interesting. I NEVER get small .357's (because I dislike the pain from shooting them with .357s, while firing .38's in them just means more cleaning). However, I had no idea that Ruger used aluminum with one and steel with the other to reinforce the plastic. That certainly would suggest getting the .357 version (or sticking with j-frames).
    Other than a tiny tiny bit of weight, I can't think of a reason to get the .38. The Hogue recoil tamer grips work pretty well, and with 125gr it's pretty manageable. Better than 38+p out of a wood grip j frame.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Other than a tiny tiny bit of weight, I can't think of a reason to get the .38. The Hogue recoil tamer grips work pretty well, and with 125gr it's pretty manageable. Better than 38+p out of a wood grip j frame.
    6oz extra on my ankle can in fact be a big deal at times. Although I am looking for a .357mag LCR now to train more with, using .38s
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List