Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone put enough rounds through a Ruger LCR...

Anyone put enough rounds through a Ruger LCR...

... either the .38 or .357mag to know if they hold up to steady shooting?

I just picked up an LCR .38 a few days ago on a whim. About 100 rounds through it so far.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I have the 38 model and maybe I'm just unlucky. About to send mine back for the third time. This is the second time the firing pin bushing has come loose. The other issue encountered was crane release button locked up. I just really love the trigger and how it handles recoil to give up ont it just yet. I'm giving it one more chance after I get it back this time.
    Last edited by vaglocker; 08-25-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'm at a bit over 600 rounds through mine. 250 bulk pack of UMC .38, 150 rounds of factory .357 in either 158 or 125 gr, 30 PDX-1 .38+P to evaluate carry ammo, and then about 200 of my own .357 reloads, 158gr lead making about 1150fps from a 3" barrel (never chrono'd out of the LCR).

Not a lot of shooting, but I've not seen any signs of wear or anything rattling loose yet.

Site Supporter
    I only have ~1500rnds through my LCR 38 in the last 3 years. My only issue has been the little screw under the cylinder release latch that keeps backing out. I just re-tighten after each session; locktite hasn't helped. The trigger and dimensions make it marginally easier than a J frame for me to shoot. I have been using the factory boot grip and the CT boot grip.
    Last edited by APS-PF; 08-25-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

I just picked up an LCR .38 a few days ago on a whim. About 100 rounds through it so far.
    Yes: Ruger LCR 357 Long Term Review
    Last edited by eb07; 08-25-2015 at 03:55 PM.

On my sample of one (my mother's choice, not mine. She liked the feel of the grip), I put 95 wadcutters and five FBI loads (factory Winchester) through it to verify function. After that bit of shooting, it was as loose as the most shot-out K frame I've ever seen. I mean, the thing RATTLES when you shake it. Only the fact that it will most likely never be used, or even needed, and it was her pick, kept me from tossing it in the circular file.

Good luck with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    On my sample of one (my mother's choice, not mine. She liked the feel of the grip), I put 95 wadcutters and five FBI loads (factory Winchester) through it to verify function. After that bit of shooting, it was as loose as the most shot-out K frame I've ever seen. I mean, the thing RATTLES when you shake it. Only the fact that it will most likely never be used, or even needed, and it was her pick, kept me from tossing it in the circular file.

Good luck with yours.

You are aware that that rattle is the transfer bar? and is completely normal? Mine as tight as the day I bought it, so what is loose on yours?

From the ruger web site:

Sometimes when I shake my Ruger LCR revolver, I hear a slight rattle; is that normal?

Like all newly manufactured Ruger revolvers, your LCR has a transfer bar safety system as part of the fire control mechanism. As a result, a hammer blow can be transmitted to the firing pin only when the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. This is a positive internal safety feature. By design, the transfer bar is allowed some movement within the fire control mechanism so that trigger pull is not affected. Due to this necessary "play" in the transfer bar, a shooter will sometimes hear the transfer bar "rattle" when the revolver is shaken. This rattle caused by the play in the transfer bar is completely normal in the LCR.
    Last edited by eb07; 08-25-2015 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

It's held up in the rental case at work without needing factory warranty for about 5 years (could be more, I can guarantee 5)

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    You are aware that that rattle is the transfer bar? and is completely normal? Mine as tight as the day I bought it, so what is loose on yours?

From the ruger web site:

Sometimes when I shake my Ruger LCR revolver, I hear a slight rattle; is that normal?

Like all newly manufactured Ruger revolvers, your LCR has a transfer bar safety system as part of the fire control mechanism. As a result, a hammer blow can be transmitted to the firing pin only when the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. This is a positive internal safety feature. By design, the transfer bar is allowed some movement within the fire control mechanism so that trigger pull is not affected. Due to this necessary "play" in the transfer bar, a shooter will sometimes hear the transfer bar "rattle" when the revolver is shaken. This rattle caused by the play in the transfer bar is completely normal in the LCR.

Thanks, I know what a transfer bar is; but I'm not talking about a small part inside the frame. I'm talking about the entire cylinder assembly; as in, massive end-shake. The yoke is moving around; both with the cylinder open and locked closed. Its like everything shrunk except the frame; or the frame stretched, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Thanks, I know what a transfer bar is; but I'm not talking about a small part inside the frame. I'm talking about the entire cylinder assembly; as in, massive end-shake. The yoke is moving around; both with the cylinder open and locked closed. Its like everything shrunk except the frame; or the frame stretched, or something.

Thanks for this information. I've like the LCR's I've shot, but unless that was simply an early model and they've gotten more durable, I think I will stick to J-frames (and light-to-moderate loads).

User Tag List