Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 41 Magnum

I never understood the attraction of the 41 vs the 44 mag... or the maaany other "X caliber vs Y" that do pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Do you find that the 41 does anything "better" than an equivalently loaded 44?
    Not that you'd notice. Look at loading data using H110 in .41 Mag, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt. There's a little bullet weight, velocity, or trajectory difference but they all get it done.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Picked up a 41 mag. old model Ruger blackhawk as well as a box of HSM bear loads. 230g at 1230 or so. Brisk recoil, but not painful in any way. May have to get a 57 or 657 and go head to head with my favorite .44

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Picked up a 41 mag. old model Ruger blackhawk as well as a box of HSM bear loads. 230g at 1230 or so. Brisk recoil, but not painful in any way. May have to get a 57 or 657 and go head to head with my favorite .44
    Good luck! Decent ones are very hard to find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

That's cool. I've been playing with a 41 for a week or so now, and I can attest, it has exactly 2.5X the stopping power of a .38 :-)

I ve said before that if "Dirty Harry" had been armed with a 6" Model 57 as a long barreled and adjustable sight version of what the patrol guys at SFPD were carrying in the 4" model 58's, the world would have been a better place. It would have given us a ton more police trade in 58's and 57's, as well as more ammunition availability and development. I can't help but think that something along the lines of a 200-220 gr. HST type bullet at 1000 fps would be a wicked police round.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

"It's your job to stop him cold." LE admin would faint if they heard that now.

Nyeti, just imagine if .41 had caught on. There would be 3" M58s waiting for stag grips.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I can't help but think that something along the lines of a 200-220 gr. HST type bullet at 1000 fps would be a wicked police round.
    You probably could back off the velocity to 900 fps and it would still work. To my mind the .41 and the .44 Special are two extremely underrated cartridges that with proper modern loads would perform excellently (the same is true for your old love, the .45 Colt).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    You probably could back off the velocity to 900 fps and it would still work. To my mind the .41 and the .44 Special are two extremely underrated cartridges that with proper modern loads would perform excellently (the same is true for your old love, the .45 Colt).
    Keeping in mind that we were dropping crooks like lightning hit them with the .45 Colt 225 gr. Silvertip, I can only imagine some solid modern bullet development around current standards for these calibers would be like.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List