Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guns and dogs

I had another dog run in last night. Similar as the last one, big dog coming at us and our vizsla, on leash, but down at the harbor. I did the same as last time, got between our dog and the approaching big dog, palm up and "hey big guy, hold it right there." It worked. No idea if this is complete luck or something dogs relate to?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I remember a few years back on another forum someone posted up a safety vid for mail deliverers on foot. I think they did something similar to what you do, square up to the dog, say something, and not turn your back - even when leaving. I recall the suggestion to use their hat in-hand though, this was something for them to sniff and for something less vital and easy to let go in case the dog decided to bite/clamp down. We're two-legged with higher centers of gravity, and dogs are just about purpose-built for immobilizing/takedown.
    Last edited by Saur; 08-30-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Site Supporter
    The Harold Fish case, which influenced laws and had the issue of whether 10mm made you look nuts, was a dog issue at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I had another dog run in last night. Similar as the last one, big dog coming at us and our vizsla, on leash, but down at the harbor. I did the same as last time, got between our dog and the approaching big dog, palm up and "hey big guy, hold it right there." It worked. No idea if this is complete luck or something dogs relate to?
    It is something dogs understand. Be unafraid, be dominant, get out there and be commanding

My best example of this was being literally charged by a friend's unattended (at his large property) 120lb Boerboel. I was quite frightened about taking a bite from this large and powerful animal but she backed down when I told her to knock it off and get back. Not a 100% remedy but as GJM points out, works more often than not. The problem is that our society is getting to the point where people are afraid of everything.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    It is something dogs understand. Be unafraid, be dominant, get out there and be commanding

My best example of this was being literally charged by a friend's unattended (at his large property) 120lb Boerboel. I was quite frightened about taking a bite from this large and powerful animal but she backed down when I told her to knock it off and get back. Not a 100% remedy but as GJM points out, works more often than not. The problem is that our society is getting to the point where people are afraid of everything.
    Not to derail to much but where would one find a Boerboel in the U.S? Interesting breed.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not to derail to much but where would one find a Boerboel in the U.S? Interesting breed.
    This one was in Virginia, bought on the East Coast but here's a breeder in your state: http://www.waldrodt-boerboels.com
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post

Dog's can small fear (more accurately sense the endorphin's released by fear). As LLB states, firm commands and commanding presence and most dog's will listen. The exception being trained dog's if your the target (intended or otherwise - as I've seen a bunch of guys get bit on the job by K-9's that got misguided, or took advantage of an officers actions to get a good bite in).

My dog's are family - and I will defend them like the rest of my family.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Just don't tell the dog to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

User Tag List