Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guns and dogs

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

You know, going out to grab the loose dogs and saying "hey sorry about that" would have solved the problem and Mr Gomez would still be a free man.

Most likely he'll end being a convicted felon now.......

Site Supporter
    Dog stuff can sure escalate quickly. I had a neighbor's German Shepherd (pure, I think) climb its 3-and-a-half-foot-crappy fence and come out at me and my spindly legged German Shorthair very aggressively a couple of weeks ago. I yelled at the dog to go away, then it just came up and did the sniff-routine. The dog's dingbat owner came up, apologized, then frantically chased it into another yard while it chased a cat. Poor dog is probably going to end up getting put down after it bites somebody -- I think it is still young.
    I'm never sure what the right response is, but I'd rather have my hand on a can of pepper spray to start. (Not that I blame the initial dog walkers in the story here, I have no idea what those dogs were like -- and yeah, the owner with a shotgun sounds like a fool).
    When I think about my relatively safe life, dog walking is probably the most likely conflict originating event. I suppose that's a good thing. (and when I say conflict event, I just mean cause for potential conflict, not necessarily an event that requires self defense).
    Last edited by idahojess; 08-25-2015 at 03:00 PM.

That's why proper training is important. Our Great Pyrenees can do a sub 7 sec. FAST. Let's me stay out of it altogether.
    :-)
    Last edited by SLG; 08-25-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    That's why proper training is important. Our Great Pyrenees can do a sub 7 sec. FAST. Let's me stay out of it altogether.
    :-)
    Lazy dog won't dry fire enough to win a coin
    #RESIST

Whether on the internet or in real life, people/dog/dog owner confrontations seem to have the potential to erupt into mortal combat quickly.

About ten years ago, in Pasco, WA, my wife was walking our 13 year old Vizsla on a leash, on the perimeter of the airport, on a public road. An unrestrained pit bull rushed out of an open garage door at an industrial property, charged, and clamped down hard on the neck of our elderly dog, who was on a leash. My wife hit down with her fist so hard on top of the pit bull, that the pit bull was stunned and fell to the ground. The pit bull's owner rushed out aggressively, yelling, and accused my wife of injuring his dog, which I guess she did. I could easily of seen that escalating.

My money's on the wife...

Pretty interesting how these things go. We just got back to town, and my wife and I went for an end of the day hike join our neighborhood. We walk half a mile to get to the trail. Passing a house, with new owners there, their large male Pyrenees, came charging towards us, barking loudly. Owner was yelling for him to stop, with little effect. My wife kept our bird dog on the leash, and I got between them and the Pyrenees. I raised my hand, palm out and said "hey, bud, stop right there." He stopped a few feet away, owner caught up, and all was well. In a neighborhood situation like that, I personally would take a bite first before drawing a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Pretty interesting how these things go. We just got back to town, and my wife and I went for an end of the day hike join our neighborhood. We walk half a mile to get to the trail. Passing a house, with new owners there, their large male Pyrenees, came charging towards us, barking loudly. Owner was yelling for him to stop, with little effect. My wife kept our bird dog on the leash, and I got between them and the Pyrenees. I raised my hand, palm out and said "hey, bud, stop right there." He stopped a few feet away, owner caught up, and all was well. In a neighborhood situation like that, I personally would take a bite first before drawing a handgun.
    I don't know, GJM. Having been attacked by a dog for real, and bit many times in training, I will crush the dog before I allow a bite. Doesn't mean I'll shoot, that is often not the best solution, but the dog is going down hard. In your situation, I might be a bit of a gambling man, since GP's tend to try to scare unknowns off, and don't "usually" bite.

As someone whose kicked a pit bull in the head repeatedly with safety toe Danners and broke its jaw, and it still wanted to fight......I want to learn this magical head-bop that will drop a pit bull to the ground, stunned.

That experience also taught me how amazingly powerful such an animal can be. Unless you've been in units that practice dispatching guard dogs by letting them latch onto you, then the whole lift and shoot.....and you were good at it....I wouldn't assume that I'll have the ability or faculties to still shoot a dog after it takes me to the ground. I think letting a large dog go to town on you before you decide to shoot is underestimating the dire of your situation if a large dog attacks you. Ever since that day I have never been without atleast a knife, because I have no confidence, at all, in being able to defend myself against a dog attack without an instrument of mayhem.
    Last edited by TGS; 08-25-2015 at 10:14 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List