Thread: Assessing Sufficient Competency

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Assessing Sufficient Competency

Here’s my dilemma: I have a carbine, but I don’t really know anything about using it (outside of basic load, unload, and which end the bullet comes out). I’m much more oriented to a handgun, which is what I’ve had all of my training and practice with.

A carbine’s potency as a home defense weapon can’t be ignored, however. Mine has an always-on red dot, and is presently loaded with a Magpul 40-round magazine. It’s just that my familiarity with it is so lacking that I’m hesitant to consider employing it in a home defense scenario, electing to use the pistol with which I'm much more familiar.

I think it’s a bit of a problem of relativity. I can clear any kind of stoppage with my Glock if I were blindfolded. I can’t clear a stoppage in my carbine at all. But decent guns tend to work most of the time, so I don’t even know if that’s a relevant criterion.

So my question is: at what point are you sufficiently competent to start using any particular tool for your protection? And if you’re more proficient with a less potent tool, do you sacrifice proficiency for potency?
    Last edited by Chance; 10-09-2015 at 01:39 PM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

IMO if you employ the long gun in the manner Ayoob has written much about; as static defensive position "artillery" then you have a much lower bar set for your carbine handling - which assumes there is always a handgun backing it up. (there must be).

I am moderately familiar with the AR from Army time, hunting with one and carbine training with Frank Proctor. However, in a HD fight if the carbine went down for any reason I'd go straight to the pistol vs clearing the malf.

How much lower that bar is from employing a carbine as the primary weapon in CQB including movement and clearing rooms - I'm not sure. Others here may offer info on that.

Are you inclined to take a fighting carbine course from a good instructor? That would probably be a good idea if the carbine was to become a staple HD tool.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    IMO if you employ the long gun in the manner Ayoob has written much about; as static defensive position "artillery" then you have a much lower bar set for your carbine handling - which assumes there is always a handgun backing it up. (there must be).
    The only defense position I have in mind is static. Our plan is that if anything were to happen while at home, I would grab my pistol and move to protect the entrance to the bedroom, and my SO would grab the carbine and hole up in the master bath while communicating with the police. I'm not going out to meet the threat unless my SO is somewhere else in the house, and I have to get to her. We don't have any kids, so that's not a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Are you inclined to take a fighting carbine course from a good instructor?
    I would love to, but given that my budget for training is pretty slim, and a handgun is what I have with me all the time, I've elected for handgun classes in the past. I need to finally earmark a carbine class, and just do it.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

In your shoes, rightly or wrongly I'd self teach myself, then SO until a class was viable. (self taught is about all I did for my first 30 years of shooting anyway) I dig this guy, never saw this DVD but thought his Performance Pistol DVD was great. http://www.wayofthegun.us/the-next-chapter-carbine-dvd/

You might want an ear pro plan for holing up in a bathroom with an AR carbine. The $65 electronic muffs should suffice. They are discussed on the ear pro threads here.
    Last edited by JHC; 10-09-2015 at 02:12 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I would guess that there is a range in the DFW area that has a one day 'introduction to carbines' class, which might help, and might not be too exorbitant for both of you.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Chance i just sent you a msg.

Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

Site Supporter
    I am handgun guy, a vast majority of my training is pistol, it feels natural and second nature. It is what I will go to for home defense, I got long guns and spend time with them and they are ready for HD use.

Spend time with the carbine, when it is all second nature then consider switching. I took a rifle course and was thinking about groups and performance, " I could do better with my handgun."

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I would guess that there is a range in the DFW area that has a one day 'introduction to carbines' class, which might help, and might not be too exorbitant for both of you.
    Good option. Or if you are willing to go out past Weatherford west along I-20 to Mingus, you can book a class or private instruction with Bill Davison at Tac Pro Shooting Center. Good instructor. Good facilities.

User Tag List