Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Almost Triples since 2007

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    The predictability of risks in all of this line of thinking has huge holes in it
    Yeah, not buying that. Nobody can make a reliable, mathematical risk prediction model. And since no one can, there are two (really only one) realistic option in my opinion.

You can kit up for war every time you step outside, or you can make your own risk assesment based on your life experience and decide how to roll every time.

Reasonable people pick door #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Reasonable people pick door #2.
    Three of them did this morning , making the risk assessment theyd never ever need a gun as workers in the media business - and two paid for the gamble with their lives on live TV. I adopt the philosophy that trouble never emails ahead for scheduled arrival, so I carry accordingly.

In any event, I don't view that CCW statistic optimistically. Many people -the exact amount has yet to be tabulated- acquire CCW permits with zero intention on actually carrying a weapon even part of the time.

One; in most states having a CCW permit simplifies owning ,buying and transporting weapons immensely. A 3" x5" card can mean the difference between being able to legally transport a gun in the passenger seat versus the trunk. It can also save a spouse from legal headaches when the gun toting husband/wife shares a car and leaves a heater in the vehicle. I don't like the practice either (may as well leave it on the street in plain view IMO ) , but lots of folks do it.

Two; the typical person with a CCW views daily carry as an exercise in paranoia. Guns are only toted when the danger is foreseen; ergo a trip to the daycare is made unarmed, but a visit to a gas station after hours means taking the XD compact.
    Don't even broach the subject of carrying either a full size weapon and/or a spare magazine. <Obviously such an individual has major issues if they tote more then a .380 pocket pistol./sarc >
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Three of them did this morning , making the risk assessment theyd never ever need a gun as workers in the media business - and two paid for the gamble with their lives on live TV.
    Would you carry while at work even if it means that you will be fired immediately if found?
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 08-26-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Would you carry while at work even if it means that you will be fired immediately if found?
    Speaking for myself, probably yes. Getting a shotgun stuck in my face made that decision for me. In retrospect, however, the better answer for my personal safety at the time was a different choice of employment. It was an unnecessary job with unnecessary risks.

In a more recent -- and more professional job -- I went through a similar decision process. The consequences of being caught were more severe (termination, criminal liability, consequences with a professional licensing organization). However, certain risks were also elevated -- I dealt with a lot of disgruntled people. It's a tough decision to make. I'm not quite sure it's as black-and-white as we (gun people) sometimes make it out to be.

You can't cash a paycheck if you're dead.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    It's not that easy - you have to consider the probability of risk and consequences. Being in a workplace shooting is rare. There were about 900 in the recent past. How many work places are there?

Depending on your profession and age, losing your job means losing your house, your kids' education and quite a few major life disruptions. On a gun forum, every priority is gun oriented risk. Life isn't that simple to decide based on cliches. I'm more like to die to on the way to work. Some butt wipe crossed the median today and almost gave us a head on - thank God for my wife's quick reflexes. So I shouldn't make a living because cars are dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by sboers View Post
    It's a tough decision to make. I'm not quite sure it's as black-and-white as we (gun people) sometimes make it out to be.
    Yes, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    You can't cash a paycheck if you're dead.
    I was hoping for a mature answer. Guess not this time.........

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    It's not that easy - you have to consider the probability of risk and consequences. Being in a workplace shooting is rare. There were about 900 in the recent past. How many work places are there?

Depending on your profession and age, losing your job means losing your house, your kids' education and quite a few major life disruptions. On a gun forum, every priority is gun oriented risk. Life isn't that simple to decide based on cliches. I'm more like to die to on the way to work. Some butt wipe crossed the median today and almost gave us a head on - thank God for my wife's quick reflexes. So I shouldn't make a living because cars are dangerous?
    Another one who gets what I am saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

No, life isn't that simple. But the pithy sayings have a point- the consequences of participating in a gunfight sans gun equals you ending up on a stretcher at best, or a slab downtown at worst.

The truth of things is easy to say as it is harsh.

I love to be wrong about this, but in Real Life we will never live in an America where the right to responsibly keep and bear arms is recognized everywhere .
    The way companies need to avoid liability combined with the irresponsible nature of people in general , means virtually every reputable workplace will require you be disarmed. No non-firearms industry employer large enough to need an HR department is going to say "yeah , you can carry whatever you want to here. " Even some LE agencies strictly limit what their officers can and cannot carry off duty. It's due to management and organizational CYA, and that culture is not going anywhere no matter what we gun guys think.

You ask if crossing your employers rules is worth it.
    The real question is which adverse consequence do you want to experience; being crippled or dead because the flag flew and you were caught unprepared, resulting in a LEO calling your wife with Bad News?

Or being unemployed, financially destitute, and probably blacklisted from a career you've spent years building?
    Note- preventing people from discovering you're armed in a place you're not supposed to is something you have limited control over. You have no control over Mr. FiveStrikes McShotaLEOlastyear deciding to put you in the ICU one dark night . It is also marginally easier to get a new job -regardless of the career damage - then it is to return from the dead, or walk again after a bullet cuts your spine in half.
    The Minority Marksman.
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List