Thread: Water Transfer Printing

Water Transfer Printing

I'm looking for some info on water transfer printing on a pistol. My wife wants it done on her new PX4. Just curious about how well it holds up and what she should or should not use to to clean the gun after it is done.

TIA

Didn't watch the video, but judging by the title it should be of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxhUr1y7AxE&app=desktop

Thanks Wannabe. The stuff looks pretty tough. The video mentions a clear coat that's applied after dipping. Can't find much info on cleaning, but it sounds as if you wash it using products made for car finishes, it should be ok.

The durability of it will obviously depend on the quality of the clear coat over it, which will vary depending on the applicator. Note that they also make a clear Cerakote now, so perhaps look into having that applied instead of standard automotive clear coats.

It's not really that durable in my experience. I have a thread at M4C that I did with an AR build I had dipped in Multicam. I have some detailed photos showing wear after a couple classes and small steel competitions. It chips fairly easily. I should note I don't baby my gear/rifles so I expected the wear which is why I chose tan colored parts where I could.

Cliff notes: it looks great and if you want/need a particular pattern then go for it. But I wouldn't do it again.

Link: there are updated pics with the wear towards the end of the thread.
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....ulticam-Dipped

I've had a few dudes that had Glock slides dipped come through (needed sights reinstalled). Trijicons stripped the clear coat and finish of like it was nothing (I had previously told them "I can do it, but I think it's a bad idea... I'm not liable if the coating comes off).

Holsters are notoriously hard on pistol finish's. The water transfer wont hold up long to drawing and re-holstering. I would go with a Cerakote finish if she has her heart set on changing the appearance. They can pretty much do any pattern these days in a myriad of colors to boot. What pattern was she wanting to do?

Kinda figured holsters would be hard on the finish. She is going to use it for range trips and self protection. I doubt it will be slogging through mud and dust any time soon
    Thanks to all for the info. Very helpful!

User Tag List