Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HK VP9 1,000 Round Range Report: Pour yourself a mug, let’s have a talk.

Interesting read, even for somebody like me who is not interested in the VP9.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    An excellent read. I read it last night but wanted to sleep on it before commenting.

I agree with everything you have written except the conclusion. I think you are evaluating the VP9 like a game gun and not as a defensive gun. For a game gun, my priorities are how easy it is to shoot other stuff. For a defensive gun, my priorities are not shooting myself, not shooting something I don't intend to, and then how easy is it to shoot something you do intend to shoot.

What makes the VP9 easy to shoot other stuff, the short, light trigger, makes it easier to shoot yourself and things you don't intend to shoot. Your testing is pure shooting, and does not account for the not shooting yourself or others unintentionally part.

At the risk of having become Darryl, I think short, light striker triggers are overrated on a carry gun, regardless of how they perform on pure shooting tests. I do love pistols with short, light triggers to game, and think the VP9 and 320 are great additions to the striker world.

I think the VP9 and 320 are the new kings of the service pistol world. For carry in a duty holster with current training doctrine, they work. I seem to be seeing folks like one or the other, but they have merits. The VP9 is a "open box, put in holster, leave it alone" kind of gun. It is really how service pistols should be. We have turned the Glocks into 1911's that can be modified by their owner off YouTube rather than by real gunsmith's......which is scary. All of my VP9's are dead stock at this point, and I am happy.

Trigger stuff.....my opinion is well known. The biggest issue is the training needed to master a trigger made for people management and prisoner taking is not a priority. Many in both government and the private sector have chosen "easy to shoot" in place of training to manage for a variety of reasons. We will simply pay the price for that. I love my VP9. I have changed some carry methods around it. If it didn't exist, I would go back to a LEM gun with no issues. I have become like many police agencies. I do not shoot close to how often I should be. The VP9 is forgiving of that. I am also not dealing with folks at the end of a gun daily, and I am know how to do it, so it is not a huge issue. Striker guns simply become a self correcting problem with little room for error. Pay to play.

The VP9 reminds me of the days when Glocks didn't need anything other than a set of metal sights. We didn't shoot as fast or as efficiently on the bitter edge,but they worked as daily carry service pistols. This is the state of the VP9 in my world with the difference being you get a great grip and stellar component quality and function without a single modification. To me, this is good. I have always looked at the gen 2 Glocks as the AK47's of the pistol world. My VP9 is like my Arsenal SAM7SF that is literally a half MOA capable AK (cold hammer forged Steyr barrels) with heavily improved ergonomics over an old AK. I have done nothing to my SAM7 other than an Aimpoint T1 and a Surefire light and it is just right out of the box. True service guns.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Excellent review!

I really enjoyed reading your background as well. Thanks for putting this out there.

As far as the philosophy of carrying a gun like this, I'm somewhere between GLM and nyeti.

I would not personally consider the 2 examples of VP9s that I have handled to have "light" triggers for a striker gun. They both pulled in the 5.4-5.75# range. For me, a little closer to 6# would be ideal considering the short travel to break on the trigger. I would consider the PPQ trigger "too light" for carry if it weren't for the pretty long pull on it, similar to the LEM but less forgiving at the break as far as ND potential.

This may be just my experience with those particular VP9s, as I have seen quite varied reports on trigger consistency gun to gun. Many have claimed it to be very close to a PPQ weight, but I have yet to see this myself. I have finger banged about a dozen VP9s, not exactly a significant sample.

This is something I'm almost of two minds on. If I were carrying for duty reasons, I would likely not choose a VP9 if given the option of a TDA or LEM gun for the reasons. GJM stated. As I am simply a responsibly armed citizen, I'm okay with carrying a VP9 or even PPQ, as it is highly unlikely my gun leaves the holster in a situation I'm not quite justified in firing.

Still good food for thought though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great review, thanks!

I've handled and like the VP9. For me, HK really needs a smaller size version to make it a true across the board platform. If they come out with a SK or similar/smaller version, then I'll take a much harder look.

Great review, thanks for taking the time to post. As a long time Glock shooter, I've been eyeballing the VP9 hard. Before Glocks, I carried a USPc 9 for a couple of years, as well as many Sigs and others. I have gone back to stock triggers in my Glocks recently for the same reason that Nyeti and GJM state. These days, night sights, and on a few, grip reshape/texture, is it.

However, I'm in the first 500 rounds with a P320c and love it so far. Once it gets to 1000 with no failures, I'll carry it. Speiding tons of time dry firing has helped, but the accuracy and control, for me, was very intuitive out of the box. I've had to learn to shoot Glocks well, the P320 has been easy by comparison.

The VP9 is the other candidate for my new carry/training pistol, but as an FFL I loathe paying retail...none of my distributors have them in stock. I'll snatch one when I can to compare. Your post has been very informative, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 4string View Post
    Great review, thanks for taking the time to post. As a long time Glock shooter, I've been eyeballing the VP9 hard. Before Glocks, I carried a USPc 9 for a couple of years, as well as many Sigs and others. I have gone back to stock triggers in my Glocks recently for the same reason that Nyeti and GJM state. These days, night sights, and on a few, grip reshape/texture, is it.

However, I'm in the first 500 rounds with a P320c and love it so far. Once it gets to 1000 with no failures, I'll carry it. Speiding tons of time dry firing has helped, but the accuracy and control, for me, was very intuitive out of the box. I've had to learn to shoot Glocks well, the P320 has been easy by comparison.

The VP9 is the other candidate for my new carry/training pistol, but as an FFL I loathe paying retail...none of my distributors have them in stock. I'll snatch one when I can to compare. Your post has been very informative, much appreciated.
    The very small supply of VP9's available at distributors now will dry up soon and will not be available again until some time next year.
    Last edited by JBP55; 08-24-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    You have won the "warpedcamshaft's longest forum post I've actually read in one sitting so far" award... It's prestigious.

This was an enjoyable read for me... thanks for posting it.

Also... is that a bicycle inner-tube wrapped around the grips of the pistols in the photos? I also spotted a CSAT target and Leopold optics boxes... which likely indicate you are a classy individual.
    I accept your award, humbly, Sir.

Yes, the rubber sleeve is some 1.25-1.75 inner tube...and your eagle eyes do not deceive you...CSAT indeed and Leupold is my optic of choice...I'm an etched reticle man.

except for buying anything in .40, that I disapprove of.
    Haha, yes Jody, I agree. I am, historically as I wrote, not a .40 fan. The great ammo shortage of 2013 changed my tune a bit and I keep a .40 in any service pistol I shoot handy.

GJM, nyeti, to your excellent comments, I do not game. I might begin, and realize I should for proficiency's sake.

I have only ever shot defensive / offensive in a training environment (and privately), and the VP9 will be a defensive gun for me...and I WILL AIWB with it. Only way I ride...or, uh, tote.

When I describe the VP9 as 'too easy to shoot', it's in the context of coming from a 10lb first shot pull...85% of my dry-fire for that last 10 years has been with a 10lb pull. My trigger finger turns bright colors when it feels anything other than a 10lb pull...these days.

Another member made mention that the VP9 pull / break feels more like 6lbs. I agree with that, the pull weight falls within a 5 - 6.5lb pull weight, and the wall is stout. It's possible to run through it under stress I imagine. I have not done so under the minimum stress of timed strings accompanied with getting into a shooting position behind a barricade.

Nor have I ever let a light SA go pre-maturely in a stressful training scenario, nor born witness to such an occurrence. Thankfully for safety, I've been around some good shooters.

I'd say that if one's trigger control is clean...and dry-fire will make your trigger finger clean and sensitive to your chosen platform...I do not see a downside choosing a striker over a DA/SA for a carry gun...even factoring in a stressful deadly force scenario.

Another method to mitigate an ND with your platform is to stay physically fit. If your body is not prepared or conditioned for a regular heart-racing event, I believe that no matter your action, heavy DA or medium-weight striker, you will be more apt to 'let one go'.

Ultimately, I believe it's a training issue...know your gun, know thyself. Train your mind, reflexes (trigger finger) and prepare your body for the marathon of life...as best you can.

Being fit will serve all of us well not just for a moment of combat, but caregiving for a loved one, raising a child or going the distance for our passions in life.

I appreciate all the kind comments for the range report...thank you, gentlemen.

(nyeti, I look forward to your report on the VP9)
    Last edited by Patrin; 08-24-2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Refinement

Awesome post, Patrin. Thank you for your insights and for your service. Glad you're enjoying your VP9.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 08-24-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    Patrin,

Great write up. Have you experienced any issues related to the trough inside the bottom of the trigger guard ? For some reason, this bothers me on some HK P series guns including the VP-9 but not others.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Patrin,

Great write up. Have you experienced any issues related to the trough inside the bottom of the trigger guard ? For some reason, this bothers me on some HK P series guns including the VP-9 but not others.
    Thank you, HCM (and FredM).

No, I have not, but I have medium sized hands with slender fingers. I wonder if a stippling third party could carve out a small curve and fix that for you?
    Last edited by Patrin; 08-24-2015 at 03:06 PM.

User Tag List