Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sub Compact

Sub Compact

Hey all, trying to decide on something. I am curious how many carry a compact (such as m&p/p2000sk) and how much of an concealment advantage you see when compared to something like a g19/p2000. I am asking this because i am trying to see if its worth getting a p2000sk for warmer weather or if the p2000 and it are close enough that it won't really give me much advantage. After talking to Jody, I am leaning towards picking one up, just curious.

ps. I carry appendix
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 10-29-2015 at 06:24 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Hey all, trying to decide on something. I am curious how many carry a compact (such as m&p/p2000sk) and how much of an concealment advantage you see when compared to something like a g19/p2000. I am asking this because i am trying to see if its worth getting a p2000sk for warmer weather or if the p2000 and it are close enough that it won't really give me much advantage. After talking to Jody, I am leaning towards picking one up, just curious.
    Do you carry AIWB? If so, I do think there is an advantage. I carry a G19 and a G26 or M&P Shield. I probably spend ~60% of the year carrying the G19 and 40% of the year carrying the 26 or shield. I find the big advantage to be primarily in the way the gun prints/can print and it crosses laterally across your body.The grip thickness is the same of course but I give the butt of the gun a little more clearance so it is less likely to print as my torso moves left/right. The width of the pistol doesn't cause printing as much in the context of AIWB (in my opinion) because with a shoulders (slightly) forward, the "tenting" you do over the forward/backward axis of the gun tends to conceal it pretty uniformly no matter what. Not sure if that made sense.... let me know if you want me to elucidate.

for reference, I am 5'10 and 170lb so slimmer but not exactly skinny either.

There's definitely an advantage to concealment, but you give up capacity & shootability. Always good to have a smaller option on hand though.

For the pistols that you've mentioned, I find next to zero advantage. Whatever the dimensions are, if I have to dress around it in exactly the same clothes that I have to use for P2000 or P30, then what's the point. My 2KSK is sitting in the safe waiting for me to figure out what role I can find for it these day.

P.S. There is truth to what Nephrology says in regards to lateral extension across the body. SecondsCount easily conceals p2000 but a little extra grip of P30 sticks out to his side, so for some people the grip length matters. For me it is a lesser issue than thickness. Glock 43 does disappear, 2KSK doesn't.
    Last edited by YVK; 10-29-2015 at 07:13 PM.

I have an Sk LEM that occasionally is worn in a Smart Carry. I find the shootability very similar to the P2K. I can place two rounds into a 3" circle at 7yds in 2 seconds from AIWB about 80% of the time. It is close enough that I am hesitant to pick up a spare P2000. It obviously works in the holsters for the .45C, P30, and P2000. Parts compatibility is very high and takes the same sights. I am happy with it and it does have a place for me. Seated in a vehicle, slight favor goes to the Sk as the shorter barrel length clears the holster with less upward movement and the grip is less hindered by the shoulder belt and shirt position. For reference I am 5' tall and have 28" waist, so for me in certain situations it works well. For example, I will carry it over anything else OWB under a suit jacket because the upward draw stroke takes less range of motion. Drawing a P30 or P2000 requires a greater percentage of my upward arm motion than the Sk. Again, not an issue for everyone as my torso is short. It can also be stored in a slightly smaller space if that is a factor.
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

My first 'real' pistol was an HK P200oSK LEM. I selected it because it seemed to me to be highly concealable. I carried it at 4 o'clock and shot it OK, but not great.

My next pistol was the HK P30 LEM. I carried it at 4 o'clock and shot it only moderately OK

My next pistol was a used and tired M&P9FS. I learned to carry it AIWB and shot it well.

My next pistol was (is) Sig Sauer SP2022.

Along my journey, I discovered that general shootability and confidence increases with pistol size (for me) while concealability diminishes only incrementally, if at all, depending on one's carry mode and determination. And I do not miss subcompacts one bit.

If you carry in NPE's on a regular basis, or prefer really deep concealment, then there is definitely an advantage. I carry a Shield, LCP, and G26 more than anything-mainly in a Smartcarry or appendix holster. For times when I need to wear certain clothes, or when I will be indoors sitting all day in a NPE, I carry a S&W 442 in an ankle rig.

Options are a good thing.

I can hide a Beretta 92, in a good appendix or regular IWB holster, from 95% of the people I encounter - it's the 5% that can get me into trouble.

If NPE's or deep concealment are not an issue - then bigger is better, IMO.
    Last edited by Clay; 10-29-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Site Supporter
    I carry a M&P9FS in IWB on side. If I need something even more concealable, I carry a Shield 9mm IWB.

Over the years I've owned and carried full size/subcompact combos from M&P, Glock 19/26, and P2000/P2000SK. I don't really think that the M&Pc fits into the subcompact category the way that the P2000SK/G26 do. For me I've noticed enough of a difference to justify having both guns. Particularly with the P2000/2000SK combo, the difference isn't great, but the difference is noticeable enough (think of the difference between a G17 and a G19--it's not huge on paper, but there's definitely a difference when you try to carry and conceal it).

Also, the different recoil spring in the P2000SK makes it shoot as well, if not a little better than the full size gun. As long as you're running the flat floor plates, you can't go wrong with this little gun.

It depends on how you dress. The minor differences or "no difference at all," answers are from the crowd of people who drape an XL shirt or a ridiculous looking vest over them. Subcompacts have a noticeable difference if you wear clothes that fit. If you already have a closet full of clothes you use to dress around your current primary then there probably isn't a point.

User Tag List