Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sight alignment tool?

Sight alignment tool?

OK, I have had two sets of replacement glock sights installed by a "professional" armour,
    then I purchased and installed three more sets on my own using the MGW sight pusher tool.
    All were TruGlo TFOs.

My issue,... how important is it for the sights, both front and rear, to be absolute "true" dead-center
    on the slide? AND what is the best way to "assure" that they are at true dead-center?

Is there a tool or device to obtain and set this measurement?

Thanks.
    A good example has twice the value of good advice,...

Site Supporter
    I would eyeball them to the center of the dovetail.

The real test is the difference between POA/POI, I generally zero new sighs at 15-20Y because anything further and it's harder for me to keep everything precisely aligned (front sight/target/etc).

Well Im kinda anal about this, I use a set of Dial calipers to find dead center of the slide. I measure the width of the slide and then the width of the sight, subtract that from the width of the slide and divide in 2. so, ( slide-sight/2) this will give you the amount per side to center the sight. I do this on both the rear and front, as the front can be off at an angle due to the size of the cut out or the sight.

Now do you really need to do this??? IMHO yes, I can tell if a sight is offset more than about .005 or so. ( on a good day) Ive done this on about 50 or better Glocks and they have all shot POA POI, if you have good trigger control.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    I can tell if a sight is offset more than about .005 or so. ( on a good day) Ive done this on about 50 or better Glocks and they have all shot POA POI, if you have good trigger control.
    On Heinie's Glock sights, the notch is intentionally cut off center. If you center up the sight based on the overall width, the notch is off.

On my Heinie Ledge sights:
    From the left side of the notch to the outside left edge = .285"
    From the right side of the notch to the outside right edge = .275"

The proof is on paper, every gun is different.

Well Im kinda anal about this, I use a set of Dial calipers to find dead center of the slide. I measure the width of the slide and then the width of the sight, subtract that from the width of the slide and divide in 2. so, ( slide-sight/2) this will give you the amount per side to center the sight. I do this on both the rear and front, as the front can be off at an angle due to the size of the cut out or the sight.

Now do you really need to do this??? IMHO yes, I can tell if a sight is offset more than about .005 or so. ( on a good day) Ive done this on about 50 or better Glocks and they have all shot POA POI, if you have good trigger control.
    Prdator installed Pro Operators on my Glock...however he does it works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    On Heinie's Glock sights, the notch is intentionally cut off center. If you center up the sight based on the overall width, the notch is off.

On my Heinie Ledge sights:
    From the left side of the notch to the outside left edge = .285"
    From the right side of the notch to the outside right edge = .275"

The proof is on paper, every gun is different.
    Wow!! All the sights Ive used ( ameriglo) the notch is dead center of the rear sight.
    And you are right every gun is different that's why I measure each of them.

I've got to say that does really shock me on the Heinie's...
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

I agree!

That's the answer/direction I'm looking for! I am, admittedly, a n00b, but I too think that setting up the sights on true dead center is a highly critical step to attempt to get to a reasonable poa/poi. I didn't have a dial caliper, so I am using a modified hi/lo welding gage to set and check my sights and I noticed a remarkable difference in the poa/poi the first time I went to the range after re-adjusting my sights to as close to true dead center as I could get them. The factory sights and the "professionally" installed TFO's were NOT exact dead center. IMHO, the closer to dead-center, the easier it is to get the poa/poi shots.
    A good example has twice the value of good advice,...

I eyeball them to center then adjust to POA/POI on the range. I generally don't have to move them much, if at all.

This is how I do mine and I use the Ameriglo Hack sights on all my Glocks.

Site Supporter
    Instead of surrendering to OCD tendancies, when I replace the rear sight on a Glock (and I've done dozens of them), take a pencil and make a pair of Mk I, Mod 0 eyeball determined witness marks on where the rear sight notch is on top of the slide. Then remove the old sight (usually that factory plastic POS) and install the new one. Using your sight tool, align the new one to the witness marks and then go and refine the setting with carefully fired groups at no less than 15 yards and preferably well delivered 25 yard groups. Then go and train hard with the system.

User Tag List