Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW guy kills himself with ND while holstering

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Just completed a GSW Trauma course yesterday and talked about how quickly you can bleed out if you have a major artery nicked.

IIRC it was 2 minutes.
    Kerry Davis of Dark Angel Medical has a video of a guy getting fatally hit in the leg by a rifle round.
    The guy passes out from blood loss in about 15 seconds, and the blood pressure bottoms out (no more spurting) in less than 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Kerry Davis of Dark Angel Medical has a video of a guy getting fatally hit in the leg by a rifle round.
    The guy passes out from blood loss in about 15 seconds, and the blood pressure bottoms out (no more spurting) in less than 30 seconds.
    Damn.

We got a SWAT-T as part of our course's IFAK. We saw and fondled a CAT and a SOFT-T in class. I will be purchasing a SOFT-T and practice one handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Damn.

We got a SWAT-T as part of our course's IFAK. We saw and fondled a CAT and a SOFT-T in class. I will be purchasing a SOFT-T and practice one handed.
    Pakistani paramilitaries shooting a civilian. Pretty eye opening, motivated us to get our TQs on faster. I dunno how different the SOFTT is from the SOFTT-W, but I'd consider getting both the CAT and the SOFTT-W; the SOFTT-W is considerably more difficult to apply one handed, especially on arms. Since Kerry started teaching his class in ~2011, almost no one has completed an entire course using just a SOFTT-W (he stated that I was the first, and I took the class only a couple months ago).

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Just an observation on shooters in general and not the deceased, but with how many people (even noted top firearms trainers) forcefully shove their gun into their holster, I'm going to danger that the grip safety is usually disengaged.
    ^That^ is a very real problem, something I have started to work on actively in classes. I saw a shit ton of that on the range last weekend at Paul-E
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    It's very unfortunate, but symptomatic of the fashion show mentality that came with the glut of new gun owners post 2008. It's always been there, but since then it's gotten much worse.

Same deal with the surge of OC activism. Lots of people are more interested in posing for a selfie with their guns or looking good in public while OC'ing their rifle/plate carrier/drop rig than exercising basic gun safety. And this is the result.

Nobody wants to say it, but either the gun culture adapts (and discourages this behavior) or the tide of public opinion will turn. And when that happens there'll be a legislative solution rather than a cultural solution.

There's nothing wrong with recreational use of firearms, but they are not toys and that point needs to be driven home. It would be nice if our YouTube personalities collectively decided to do so with a unified front. I'm guessing that's the only way to reach them en masse.
    This is the current state of our YouTube firearms world. Choices are paid for in blood. I am not to excited about this stuff. It goes against everything we teach, thus old and not cool. Pay to play. You want to mimic your favorite YouTube gun celebrity while taking pictures of yourself while violating all four of the basic safety rules.....you or somebody else will get injured or killed. That is not a mystery, it is a choice. I feel bad for his family, but this is what happens when people engage in risky behavior.

Edited to add: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....inful-to-watch
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 08-24-2015 at 10:58 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

CCW guy kills himself with ND while holstering

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Pakistani paramilitaries shooting a civilian. Pretty eye opening, motivated us to get our TQs on faster. I dunno how different the SOFTT is from the SOFTT-W, but I'd consider getting both the CAT and the SOFTT-W; the SOFTT-W is considerably more difficult to apply one handed, especially on arms. Since Kerry started teaching his class in ~2011, almost no one has completed an entire course using just a SOFTT-W (he stated that I was the first, and I took the class only a couple months ago).
    Great idea. (Get both).

Choices are good.

Edit for question: the CAT is the one w Velcro, right?
    Last edited by RJ; 08-24-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    ^That^ is a very real problem, something I have started to work on actively in classes. I saw a shit ton of that on the range last weekend at Paul-E
    I wasn't one of those people was I? Would be good to know since it could be one of those unknown unknowns where you're just not aware you're making a dumb mistake.

Ever since the AIWB discussion thread, I think I've been indexing my trigger finger high and right under my engaged safety so that I can feel if it's not engaged, plus thumb the hammer, and look down into my holster as I put the gun back in. I don't think I shove my gun back in too hard, but if I missed anything and you saw something that is a potential safety concern it would highlight something I'd need to fix in dry fire.

I trained myself out of the slamming the gun into holster syndrome by exaggerating the slow-mo reholster. To the point that ROs look at me strange (I'm sure) because of how slowly I reholster, particularly after making ready.

I also look at the holster while putting the gun back in 100% of the time.

My analogy for reholstering is you should do it the way you would stop the car when coming up on a stop sign and you don't want to jostle your grandma in the passenger seat, ease to a stop, not do the retard thing and wait till the last second and jam on the brakes.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    My analogy for reholstering is you should do it the way you would stop the car when coming up on a stop sign and you don't want to jostle your grandma in the passenger seat, ease to a stop, not do the retard thing and wait till the last second and jam on the brakes.
    +1, will be sure to consciously slow down. I think doing all the manipulations plus looking the gun in force me to go slower, but better to be deliberately slower. No one wins a prize for being the first to reholster at the range.

User Tag List