Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Crazy" stuff you've seen on the range...

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Todd,

At least you only did that once. I've noticed that you now "empty your gun" without shooting every round in it
    LOL!!!! I just spit out my breakfast!!!

da6d

Guy shot himself in the leg while re-holstering, I think that is probably # 1.

Guy with multiple squibs during a match and a case head separation. I asked him what powder he was using, and later I cross-checked it vs. various load manuals. No comparable listing. Heck, no listing in any pistol caliber for that powder. More research led to the fact that the manufacturer says ABSOLUTELY don't use it in a pistol, it isn't compatible and may give you serious issues. I try to tell that guy about it, he ignores me. I think he later blew up that gun.

I have seen numerous other silly things, but nothing else that compares to those two. Most of the other stuff you've all probably seen at one point or another.

While on an all-clear, and people were walking downrange to change targets. This guy was packing up, goes to chamber a round in his carry gun, and rides the slide and the trigger (don't ask me how, it was a taurus 92) and NDs one into the ground 15 feet in front of him. (and about 15 feet away from some other people walking downrange.)

Unfortunately, he was the person there teaching ME to shoot.

You can learn a lot in a day.

We are diminished
    • At the 2000 IDPA Low Light Challenge, we'd fallen very far behind schedule so while one squad was taping targets (in the dark on a single indoor bay), another squad was queued up waiting to go. Well, one of the ROs decided to start his shooter before the other squad gave the all clear, and a bunch of us found ourselves downrange while a guy 25' to our left started shooting the stage. They couldn't hear us shouting cease fire and no one wanted to flash a light and draw the shooter's focus, so we all just stood very still...

• While MD'ing a local IDPA match at NRA HQ, I turned around to see a guy pointing a revolver right in my stomach. He was flabbergasted that I got so upset, especially because the gun wasn't even loaded! So I walked him over to the safe area to pack up his pistol after he'd been DQ'd, and guess what... six live rounds in the gun.

• Guy shows up at another IDPA match at NRA HQ and goes over to the safe area. Moments later, we all hear a gunshot and see the guy speed walking off the range and into the night, never to be seen again. He'd AD'd his (loaded) Glock while taking it out of a gun rug, put a bullet through the table and into the wall, and run off. He never came back, not even to get the Glock he left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    • Guy shows up at another IDPA match at NRA HQ and goes over to the safe area. Moments later, we all hear a gunshot and see the guy speed walking off the range and into the night, never to be seen again. He'd AD'd his (loaded) Glock while taking it out of a gun rug, put a bullet through the table and into the wall, and run off. He never came back, not even to get the Glock he left behind.
    So, what did you do with the Glock?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    What Glock?

Actually, the range management dealt with it. Presumably, they turned it over to the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    One of the first classes I ever taught: Before breaking for lunch, the students were told to go up to the berm and empty their guns. Most took their guns out of their holsters, ejected the mag, racked the slide, verified a clear gun, and reholstered.

One guy drew his gun and fired every round in the magazine into the berm, oblivious to the people around him, most of whom weren't wearing hearing protection.

Lesson: terminology matters.
    Dude was just a born fuckin comedian. Will even waste ammo for the lolz.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Dude, I greatly admire your choice in time-wasting activity.

Last week I saw a gentleman on a certain range in NOVA try to impress a lady to his left. He was telling her about how he qualified Expert on the Rifle 20 years ago in Basic Training, and a few moments later he was handling said rifle behind the firing line.

Oh- and his XD was placed on the table so it flagged everyone to his left down the firing line. I guess he was taught that 20 years ago too.

It is unknown if his attempt to woo the fair lady was successful with his incredibly cool story.

User Tag List