Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AK hunting season

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    JHC, trying to sneak around in thick brush is generally not productive as a moose hunting strategy, as the moose will know you are there long before you have a chance for a shot. There is a lot of thick brush around, but it is better to call the moose to you. Pretty darn exciting to have a big bull thrashing through thick brush to you. Or have a brown bear come to your call, thinking you are a moose.

I have found the most productive strategy to catch moose out along the edges of water. Those shots can be surprisingly long, making the 45-70 a no go for that style hunting. A Guide Gun is great for packing moose, after it is down, in areas with bears.
    Do they travel along game trails regularly enough to ambush them in such thicker areas? You are not likely to walk up on a whitetail in the brush either but in areas where there's a decent deer population it seems to work in a fashion (ambush).

Spot and stalk sounds pretty awesome but I've never hunted the West. I see archery hunting vids taking elk in the timber, from on foot on the ground no less.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post

Spot and stalk sounds pretty awesome but I've never hunted the West. I see archery hunting vids taking elk in the timber, from on foot on the ground no less.
    That's my dream, right there. I bought a trad bow and January, and I'll be deer hunting my property this year with it. In the next couple years I want to go after elk that way, and see how I do. Folks are surprisingly successful that way, as we got to archery hunt elk during the rut here, which is actually an improvement over trying to rifle hunt in November.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Do they travel along game trails regularly enough to ambush them in such thicker areas? You are not likely to walk up on a whitetail in the brush either but in areas where there's a decent deer population it seems to work in a fashion (ambush).

Yeah, spot and stalk or still hunting doesn't really work in east coast big woods. We're kinda stuck with the ambushing method.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    That's my dream, right there. I bought a trad bow and January, and I'll be deer hunting my property this year with it. In the next couple years I want to go after elk that way, and see how I do. Folks are surprisingly successful that way, as we got to archery hunt elk during the rut here, which is actually an improvement over trying to rifle hunt in November.
    Hunting with a trad bow is a pretty incredible experience. I hunted for a year with a longbow and missed the only shot I took that season unfortunately. Harvesting a deer with traditional tackle would be a pretty incredible feeling I would imagine. Unfortunately right now I don't have time to keep up the longbow skills and the area I do most of my hunting in only allows compounds.

Haven't heard it resolved whether pilots and passengers can have firearms on board. "Checked by wands," sure doesn't sound like it. It is a rare aircraft that flies in Alaska without one or more firearms. And since that is the start of duck and moose season, it will be interesting to see how this is going to work.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150828/...esidents-visit

snippet:

Dale was at Wasilla Lake checking out the area that will likely be used for the temporary checkpoint.

"There's a nice big long dock," she said. TSA will use hand wands to check passengers and pilots, air carriers have been told. Bags may be opened. Passengers will need to have ID.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Haven't heard it resolved whether pilots and passengers can have firearms on board. "Checked by wands," sure doesn't sound like it. It is a rare aircraft that flies in Alaska without one or more firearms. And since that is the start of duck and moose season, it will be interesting to see how this is going to work.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150828/...esidents-visit

snippet:

Dale was at Wasilla Lake checking out the area that will likely be used for the temporary checkpoint.

"There's a nice big long dock," she said. TSA will use hand wands to check passengers and pilots, air carriers have been told. Bags may be opened. Passengers will need to have ID.
    Along with the inaugural production that has become too much like a coronation, this sounds ridiculous. I get that cogs in the wheel are just doing their jobs as directed.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I would be VERY surprised if there were any provisions allowing for firearms. Hope that's not the case, but that's what I would plan for.

When I saw this thread title, my first thought was "He knows better than to hunt with a standard Mekong Match launcher. He must be trying something new?"

Duh… I need to get out more...

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    When I saw this thread title, my first thought was "He knows better than to hunt with a standard Mekong Match launcher. He must be trying something new?"

Duh… I need to get out more...

Oh good, I thought I was alone in having had that reaction.

Then again, I also wondered if he was hunting an AK instead of with an AK.

Funny, when I first read "OrigamiAK," I thought Gabe was from Alaska, or an Alaska fan. The worst is when somebody sees AK, and says "Arkansas."

Flying out to our cabin today, there was fresh termination dust in the mountains. That is the first snow of the year. Fall is here, and it generally lasts 2-3 weeks in Alaska.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Man, you live in a beautiful part of the world! I hope one day I get a chance to visit! If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up in Alaska?

User Tag List