Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: AK hunting season

Fantastic post George - thanks for letting us experience Alaska hunting vicariously through you all. It's particularly interesting for me as most of my hunting has to be done within the confines of rich/liberal suburban neighborhoods as part of a deer population control program and thus is, literally, about as much a polar opposite from the way you all hunt. I've always wanted to have the opportunity to visit and hunt/fish in Alaska though, so feel free to follow up with further updates.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It staggers me the amount of "overhead" in time, gear and general logistics to get into position to actually hunt!
    I was pretty amazed by that as well, though I guess given how inhospitable the terrain is and how much of it you have to cover, it makes sense. It really stood out to me from the whole story though, as for the last two years I've been trying to hunt without spending much of any money (other than broadheads and other consumables) as it sort of undermines my whole rationale of "free meat."

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It staggers me the amount of "overhead" in time, gear and general logistics to get into position to actually hunt!
    Kind of begs the question of what is 'actual' hunting. That trip sounded like all hunting to me, trigger press or no.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Kind of begs the question of what is 'actual' hunting. That trip sounded like all hunting to me, trigger press or no.
    I guess it has too! It's enlightening. I've never considered my packing and few hours drive part of hunting. Way different in the wilderness obviously.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Wow George, beautiful country up there, thanks for sharing.

Not sure why, but my last post disappeared. Will try to recreate it.

We have been flying twice a day when possible, looking for large moose, but it has been raining frequently, and when not raining, there is so much residual moisture, it has made for multiple low cloud layers, complicating spotting. Did see one small bull today, with his nose to the backside of a cow. This is pretty typical of what we have been dealing with.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Bad morning, this happened twenty miles down the lake from us:

http://www.adn.com/article/20150915/...s-lake-iliamna

Our friend witnessed and was rendering assistance. Military C130 Herc there now picking up people -- probably too many for our air ambulance capability which is oriented to one or two patients.

The gig is up. We have gone from 24 hours of light, and like, to winter. Getting light around 730am now, and the snow level is under 500 feet MSL (mean sea level). Three weeks of notably bad weather, and moose season has ended without success. View out the front of our cabin this morning.

Bummer on striking out on a moose, but look at that view you have. You're a blessed man George, a blessed man indeed. Thanks for sharing, I hope we get to see some more as winter moves in.

User Tag List