Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AK hunting season

AK hunting season

Our Alaska hunting season is just getting going. Caribou, brown bear and moose all in quick succession. Yesterday, we were out scouting for caribou and bear, when my wife took this video of me landing on a ridge top. Between some wind, and a bit of uphill, it made for a short landing.

http://youtu.be/riOBnfXwHCE

this morning, we got out flying this morning before weather came, and this is a neat spot on the side of a mountain about 20 miles from our cabin, with a bull caribou cruising in the area.

In the afternoon, just before a thunderstorm hit, we ran out to the gravel pit to verify zero at 100 yards, prior to hunting. I was hoping for no hassles, and we got lucky. First, my wife shot her standby Alaska gun, her left hand Brockman model 70 .338 scout rifle. Just two shots fired each time, as we were verifying zero and trying to conserve ammo. I saw just one hole, and when we got down, the two shots were about touching. Next I shot my .300 WM pre-64 that had been with Jim Brockman for work. Stock work caused a two inch zero shift lift, I corrected, and shot two into about an inch. Then she shot her brand new Brockman .300 WM, two shots, two inch correction left, then two shots into a half inch with 180 Nosler. Finally, I shot my new 9.3x62 Brockman pre-64 model 70, and the first two shots made a nice group right where they should be. Wish it could always be this easy -- hopefully an omen for hunting season.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

You lead an awesome life!

Need to keep updating that blog, GJM.
    #RESIST

Next year's trip I would like to visit later than June and try to just taste AK hunting. Good luck!!!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Need to keep updating that blog, GJM.
    Wait....GJM has a blog?

And good luck with the critter getting this year!
    Last edited by LSP552; 08-22-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Sweet super cub man! So jelly... My retirement dream is to buy a plane and move to nowhere in Alaska.

How do you like the 9.3? I haven't started hunting yet but I'm considering buying a 9.3x62 as an all around hunting rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet, I'd love to hunt in Alaska at some point. I'm getting psyched for our own hunting season starting here next month.

9.3x62 is very popular with a number of my friends. Jim Brockman loves to build them, and says they work well with a pre-64 .30-06 action. Bill Wilson has shot a bunch of stuff in Africa with this caliber. I am just getting to know mine, but I see it as taking the place of a .338-06 I have shot pushing ten caribou and six moose with.

Very unwelcome development -- Obama visiting Alaska right at the beginning of moose season. The rolling TFR will have a very negative effect not just on hunting, but on travel generally in Alaska. Anchorage serves as the supply and medical hub for the whole state, and it may not be possibly to fly a small aircraft into Anchorage while he is there. I see many inadvertent and intentional busts of the TFR airspace coming.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150821/...s-visit-alaska

As we were leaving the airport this evening, this guy was just outside the gate. The gate designed to keep moose, bears and other critters off the runway here in town.

User Tag List