Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: "Either you buy these, or I take your car"

Quote Originally Posted by sboers View Post
    I never said you condoned it. My comment was specific to your question of: "why assume the negative?" I answered accordingly.

As far as other information, you/others seemed to imply otherwise. Perhaps I misread.
    Your response was not in the context which I posted that question. It had very little to do with this topic/thread specifically, but a general response to JodyH's post.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Chastise?

If someone does not have all the information and decides to form an opinion based on not having enough information, possibly because a preconceived opinion of the context of the events, that is still their choice.

Or should everything be spelled out for everyone on every topic, ever?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    And thus continue to build mistrust of the police from the people they are sworn to serve
    You disapprove?

Awesome. Change it.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Your response was not in the context which I posted that question. It had very little to do with this topic/thread specifically, but a general response to JodyH's post.

I can read context just fine, thank you. I also have the ability to click on the little arrows next to quoted material in order to find that context.

And yes, my answer was quite contextual to the conversation between you and BehindBlueI's (which is what I was actually quoting from). You rhetorically asked why the officer isn't being given the benefit of the doubt when other information (information that's been repeatedly suggested you have, but you claim you do not) may be out there. I answered that it's because the situation looks facially shitty, and doesn't leave a whole lot of room for all of this context you keep speaking of to change that.

You disapprove?

Awesome. Change it.
    WTF does this even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    WTF does this even mean?
    I think he's telling you to shut the f*** up, but taking the high road in doing so.

Context be damned, the officer is a douche canoe.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Right...back on topic please as the chest thumping and pointing of fingers in attempts to claim who is more right than someone else is slowly turning into middle-school recess.
    VDMSR.com

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Well, let's just cut to the chase. Do you think it's ok to tell a motorist that if they buy your tickets you'll let them go?
    I'll answer your question even though you're clearing avoiding answering mine.

I've never condoned that kind of conduct and never will. There's a difference between thinking that what the cop in Philly did is acceptable behavior, and thinking that what he did is wrong, but being blown out of proportion. I have never condoned the officer's actions.

What I have a problem with are the hypocrites that are quick to jump on the black and white bandwagon of morality and are quick to throw another cop under the bus, when it's pretty clear that they apply a different set rules to their personal conduct and operate in a lot of gray area.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I'll answer your question even though you're clearing avoiding answering mine.

I've never condoned that kind of conduct and never will. There's a difference between thinking that what the cop in Philly did is acceptable behavior, and thinking that what he did is wrong, but being blown out of proportion. I have never condoned the officer's actions.

What I have a problem with are the hypocrites that are quick to jump on the black and white bandwagon of morality and are quick to throw another cop under the bus, when it's pretty clear that they apply a different set rules to their personal conduct and operate in a lot of gray area.
    Well, I'm not sure what your issue is then. What he did was wrong. We're in agreement. What the punishment should be or if its being blown out of proportion was never something I addressed. If I was on his merit board (if they have such a thing) if he acted on his own or was pressured by the brass, etc. would be considered. What I said was selling things on duty should be against policy. He should never have been put in the position of having this be an option. However at the end of the day, you are a big boy and you have to take responsibility for your actions. If I got suspended for a decision I thought was right, then I knew the risk going in and will take my day on the beach and move on. It wouldn't be my first time at IA. You get a free mint after your interview, so it's not a bad deal. Parking is convenient, too.

There is a big difference in not enforcing the law for personal gain and not enforcing the law because you think its the fair thing to do. That's the difference in intent that I'm talking about. If that gain is financial for you or for a charity, that's still trading personal gain for looking the other way. What do I gain by not making a dope arrest for a roach in an ash tray? Nothing. I'm costing myself potential overtime for court, most likely. As for your questions about being recorded, sure. Every traffic stop I made for about 3 years before I went inside was recorded on audio. I never hid the fact I gave motorists the option to stomp a small amount of dope out instead of getting a summons or arrest. I'm on video at the end of every interview I do now asking my detainee if he has anything on him before he goes to lock up and if he has something small we can get rid of it before he eats a trafficking with an inmate charge. It's a non-violent misdemeanor and its in our general orders that officer discretion is explicitly recognized in such situations. People in my interview rooms are always looking at major felonies. A misdemeanor possession on top of their felony charges is pointless and isn't worth my time or the space in the property room for someone looking at an armed robbery or attempt murder. So, yeah, not a secret. Same as sometimes we don't arrest people until they are out of the hospital because there's no reason for the county to be on the hook for their medical bills. We are encouraged to ask "is this arrest worth the resources it will consume?" before making said arrest. We are never encouraged to ask "Am I going to gain something for not making this arrest?" and I figure there's a reason for that.

I think you're putting a lot on me that I never said or even hinted at. If you're ever in Indy you're welcome to hit me up for a beer or a coffee, as you prefer, and talk it over.

User Tag List