Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best value semi-auto 12ga?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Best value semi-auto 12ga?

So, I am considering replacing my aged 870 Wingmaster home defense shotgun for a semi auto (no, I won't sell it, don't worry - just want to buy something that I have less sentiment for to fill the role of HD shotgun). I've looked at the Mossberg 930 SPX, FN SLP, and the various Benellis out there.

The Benellis are a little rich for my blood, but I've also heard several less than flattering things about the 930 family of shotguns. What is the consensus on this? I am willing to spend what it takes to buy a nice shotgun (I am in no rush to make this purchase at all), but I also don't want to blow huge amounts of money on a gun if I can get one that functions just as well for less. What is the Glock of semi-auto scatterguns?

Only requirements are that it have bead sights or fiber optics (just no rifle sights), the ability to accept a weaponlight, and reasonable ergos. Thoughts?

http://www.mossberg.com/product/930-spx-8-shot-85360/

the mossberg is the best for the money. It meets your criteria except it doesn't have a bead sight, it's a ghost ring rear fiber front. You can find them for $750ish if you are patient and look around for sales. I bought a Benelli and probably spent $700 more than I should have for a good semi shotgun. I'd have been better off spending that $700 on ammo and more range time.

I picked up a police trade in 870 for 150 and a police trade 1100 for 300-350

Stay away from the 930! For the money you absolutely can't beat the stoeger M3000. You can even get the M3k with oversized bolt handle and mag release. We use one is multigun matches and it eats everything. Brian enos has like a 100 page thread on them, all good.

I bought a 930 JM Pro 22" and am reasonably happy with it. It's got some rough fit and finish but it cycles faster than a Beretta 1201 and hits softer than an 1100. I've put about 1000 rounds through it and it hasn't malfed yet.

I recognize that other people have had issues with theirs, I can't recommend it unhesitatingly. I believe the 930 JM series is given additional QC attention out of the factory than the normal 930s, but I think it's a solid shotgun if you get a good one.

One thing the 930 has over the 1100 series and some of the Beretta/Benelli pattern guns is that loading from a full magazine tube is a one step procedure. Instead of advancing a shell from the tube and then running the bolt (Beretta 1201) or pulling the bolt back and then hitting the bolt release (1100), pulling the 930's bolt back will advance a shell onto the lifter and chamber it. This means you have to do some trickery to do the load slug drill if that's important to you. (Hold elevator up with left hand, rack bolt with right hand and hold to the rear, fetch slug and chamber).

YMMV, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Stay away from the 930! For the money you absolutely can't beat the stoeger M3000. You can even get the M3k with oversized bolt handle and mag release. We use one is multigun matches and it eats everything. Brian enos has like a 100 page thread on them, all good.
    Can you get a shorter barrel for the M3000? A 24" barrel is a little long for HD work....at least that's my opinion.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Buy once, cry once. A used Benelli M1/2, or for less, a used 11-87.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

To me, the reliability has to factor into the "value" of the gun. Especially for a defensive firearm.

If I were in the market for a semi-auto shotgun for defensive usage, I'd buy one of the Beretta 1301 shotguns. Most likely the 1301 Tactical model. (And not because it has the word, "Tactical" in the description.) As GJM said, "Buy one, cry once".
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 08-21-2015 at 04:33 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    To me, the reliability has to factor into the "value" of the gun. Especially for a defensive firearm.

If I were in the market for a semi-auto shotgun for defensive usage, I'd buy one of the Beretta 1301 shotguns. Most likely the 1301 Tactical model. (And not because it has the word, "Tactical" in the description.) As GJM said, "Buy one, cry once".
    Reliability is definitely my top concern.

I thought that somebody here (Jody, maybe, or GJM?) discovered a fatal flaw in the 1301; to wit, if the gun is fully loaded/safety on, bumping the release button dumps another shell onto the lifter, which totally ties the gun up? Not sure about this, but I AM sure about the AL390 I use for an HD shotgun… it can get all gooned up while fumbling to reload it under stress, if you don't follow the exact sequence necessary, and you can leave a thumbnail in the loading port very easily if you aren't careful. If I ever really need it, once its empty it will be dropped in place and I'll be looking for my pistol.

But for those four rounds… the only "tactical" shotgun I've handled that shoots faster is the Benelli M1. Too bad that worthy kills on one end and wounds on the other…

User Tag List