Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Gel test: 9mm & .45 ACP Polycase Inceptor ARX

Not everyone has online access to the results from your chrono available in one place

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    All my chrono testing is done at one of two locations, either 860' or 740' ASL.
    Another comparison that I did in Colorado and Louisiana was a 9mm 147gr HST and the +P version. In Colorado the standard pressure load averaged 982fps from a Sig P226, and the +P version was 1012fps. In Louisiana, the standard pressure load averages 966fps, and the +P version 1003fps. Manufacturers are changing powders all the time(sometimes primers), and all powders have different burn characteristics in different environments.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Not everyone has online access to the results from your chrono available in one place
    Touche!
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    If you look at the chronograph results here http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self...llistic-tests/ the difference between the Winchester Ranger in .45 for the standard velocity and +P loads is 4 feet per second.

With the Federal HST there is 22 feet per second difference between the standard velocity load and the +P load.
    One thing I found a bit head scratching with Lucky Gunners results regarding the standard pressure .45 Win rangers was how fast they got out out of a 3.5" barrel. I can understand the notion of different powders/primer's being used in different lots. And of course the environmental conditions factor in, but to be about 100fps faster using a barrel only .2" longer than my Shield. Doesn't make sense to me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by ack495 View Post
    One thing I found a bit head scratching with Lucky Gunners results regarding the standard pressure .45 Win rangers was how fast they got out out of a 3.5" barrel. I can understand the notion of different powders/primer's being used in different lots. And of course the environmental conditions factor in, but to be about 100fps faster using a barrel only .2" longer than my Shield. Doesn't make sense to me.
    The extreme spread from the last ten-shot string of standard pressure RA45B I tested was 73.88 fps. If you can see almost seventy-five feet per second variation between two rounds in the same box, then 100fps average difference between two different guns of different barrel lengths from different lots at different elevations is certainly within the realm of possibility.
    Last edited by Tamara; 05-22-2017 at 09:48 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

The extreme spread from the last ten-shot string of standard pressure RA45B I tested was 73.88 fps. If you can see almost seventy-five feet per second variation between two rounds in the same box, then 100fps average difference between two different guns of different barrel lengths from different lots at different elevations is certainly within the realm of possibility.
    I guess so, huh. That's a big spread. It just sucks the crap shoot you get with some of Winchesters ammo.

Other than the horrible ES, how is the ranger bonded load working out? Doesn't seem like they can get their shit together with the load unlike the 9mm ranger bonded which seem to be very successful.

Lucky Gunner had awful results in their short barrel test. Doc replied to me in an email about it once, also stating inconsistent performance. That was a few years ago. Still not on his list for a reason I guess.

Last edited by ack495; 05-22-2017 at 11:07 AM.

From Devel's patent in 1992; there is nothing new....

And no, it did not work better than other conventional projectiles.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 05-22-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by ack495 View Post
    Lucky Gunner had awful results in their short barrel test. Doc replied to me in an email about it once, also stating inconsistent performance. That was a few years ago. Still not on his list for a reason I guess.

Notice that Doc's list of acceptable duty ammo is much shorter for .45acp than .40 or 9mm. It is actually pretty hard to engineer a reliable JHP that meets FBI protocols in the .45acp since it is delicate balancing act of cranking up the velocity high enough to punch through barrier materials, while at the same time keeping the velocity low enough to make the gun controllable and not prematurely destroy the gun from accelerated wear. For me now days, it is a no-brainer that for LE work it is best to use 9mm or .40S&W. Naturally, it's harder to find a .40 platform that is reliable, durable, and shootable as 9mm. I've found Sig P229s(particularly with mounted light) to work pretty well in .40, along with the H&K USP and S&W M&P.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

Greattt--and I just bought a few boxes of Winchester Ranger standard velocity because I remember it used to feed reliably in my Springfield Professional that I have not fired in years . . .

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Why would one choose this at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Do Not Engage"

User Tag List