Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gel test: 9mm & .45 ACP Polycase Inceptor ARX

Seen and read a lot of info on the web about the ARX, so bought some in .380, 9mm +P both the 80 and 65 grain, and the .45 ACP. They penetrate 4 layers denim like it didn't exist, yet stop at around 14". I've also shot Winchester Ranger T .45 RA45T that Olin took back because they failed to expand and many only partially expanded. One was pretty much a FJM. Clothing can cause real issues with hollow point, as that "Hollow" is necessary for proper fluid pressure to disrupt the bullet. There is no "hollow" on the end of ARX. Getting a Winchester Talon to properly open up all the time would be very nice. However, if it doesn't open up, as sometimes worn tooling doesn't "score" the inside properly, then you have a tumbling piece of copper/lead bullet. Tumble is not bad, but it's not what the Ranter T was designed to do.

One other feature about Ruger ARX bullets that I've personally noticed is reduced recoil. I have no issues with recoil, even in my age, but my wife "barely" will shoot the .380 Bersa due to her arthritis and other pain ailments. With the ARX, it gives her a FJM that can penetrate heavy cloth, and deliver a temporary wound cavity, and shoots about like a .22 LR. For others, it is a lighter loading of magazines, and quicker follow up shots.
    Just saying. And, no I don't work for PolyShield nor get any free stuff from them, just intrigued by modern engineering and an Army Ranger's desire to improve the field of ammunition.
    Vern

Ol' Nebraskan.

ARX and Lehigh Extreme Defender/Pretender/etc are gimmick BS. They perform exactly as you should expect for a light, relatively fast solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Aksarben View Post
    And, no I don't work for PolyShield nor get any free stuff from them, just intrigued by modern engineering and an Army Ranger's desire to improve the field of ammunition.
    How does this stuff allegedly do so?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    How does this stuff allegedly do so?
    I think, if I understand your question, that this fast ARX bullet works using the special designed 3 slots in the side to both slow the bullet down in hydraulic medium, so it does not over penetrate, and because it is not hollow point, there is nothing like denim and other cloth to plug up and defeat the purpose of the hollow point. A FMJ will always penetrate cloth barriers, and bone, and pretty much remain the same shape.... smooth slight olgive, and good at making holes AND penetration. Unless it tumbles, and many do, the FJM would be inferior to the ARX with it's inverse "wings" or slots that direct fluid away from the bullet at higher velocities. And, as it quickly slows it too, will tumble. The only reason I can think of that this design is not incorporated into a regular FMJ lead/copper bullet is that it is heavy and would be difficult to achieve velocities needed to create a "cavitational" effect. Comes to mind a boat propeller spinning very fast out of water, and very little wind, as air, is a thinner material than water (think density) then when the spinning boat propeller is lowered into the water, being a lot more dense than air, that creates the forceful agitation and displacement of the water.

I have seen a skeptic on Youtube shoot some tests and was quite surpirsed. Shooting through a 2X4 and then the bullet continued on 12 inches in gelatin would give an indication that hitting an arm or rib that the bullet would not deform and would continue on it's path.

It would be VERY interesting to find actual data reports of anyone that may have been shot by this ARX and the actual results. Barring that, Feral pig hunting and results would also be useful.
    Vern

Ol' Nebraskan.

ARX is terrible after barriers. It shatters easily. Even fragments in bare gel sometimes. The penetration is a result of the low sectional density, not the magical faerie flutes. The "damage" seen in gel is not representative of damage in real tissue. You need at least 2,000 fps to start setting tissue damage from temporary stretch cavity.

I think, if I understand your question, that this fast ARX bullet works using the special designed 3 slots in the side to both slow the bullet down in hydraulic medium, so it does not over penetrate, and because it is not hollow point, there is nothing like denim and other cloth to plug up and defeat the purpose of the hollow point. A FMJ will always penetrate cloth barriers, and bone, and pretty much remain the same shape.... smooth slight olgive, and good at making holes AND penetration. Unless it tumbles, and many do, the FJM would be inferior to the ARX with it's inverse "wings" or slots that direct fluid away from the bullet at higher velocities. And, as it quickly slows it too, will tumble. The only reason I can think of that this design is not incorporated into a regular FMJ lead/copper bullet is that it is heavy and would be difficult to achieve velocities needed to create a "cavitational" effect. Comes to mind a boat propeller spinning very fast out of water, and very little wind, as air, is a thinner material than water (think density) then when the spinning boat propeller is lowered into the water, being a lot more dense than air, that creates the forceful agitation and displacement of the water.
    My question: How does the ARX ammo improve the field of ammunition?

I have seen a skeptic on Youtube shoot some tests and was quite surpirsed. Shooting through a 2X4 and then the bullet continued on 12 inches in gelatin would give an indication that hitting an arm or rib that the bullet would not deform and would continue on it's path.
    What does this actually show?

It would be VERY interesting to find actual data reports of anyone that may have been shot by this ARX and the actual results. Barring that, Feral pig hunting and results would also be useful.
    Likewise. I suspect it would show similar results to FMJ if not a little less penetration due to a reduced mass relative to a standard FMJ round.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

From Alf : "My question: How does the ARX ammo improve the field of ammunition?" I see it as adding a self defense load for small calibers, like the .380, that have had problems with penetrations and cloth barriers with many of the self defense loads. I also see it for someone like my wife, who as arthritis and Fybromialgia (pain) and cannot tolerate too much recoil. This load has a noticeable reduced recoil. And I think the ARX design of uniquely shaped flutes, or channels, the company calls Power Blades help. The flutes act to displace the target material using the bullet’s forward and rotational momentum, or “lateral force dispersion.” Better than a FMJ, lighter to carry, and could have definite psychological affect on the bad guy.

And "What does this actually show?" The shooting through a 2X4 should illustrate that even though the bullet has encountered "other fluid flesh" a barrier, although not bone, it is likely to continue and enter deep enough to cause damage. I would suspect that on a arm bone that hitting it would break the arm at that point, also causing trauma, but not effectively stopping the bullet from entering the body.
    Last edited by Aksarben; 05-16-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    Vern

Ol' Nebraskan.

The flutes act to displace the target material using the bullet’s forward and rotational momentum, or “lateral force dispersion.”
    Do you have a source to support this claim, other than the company's own marketing materials? Otherwise it sounds like:

"But they're magic beans!"
    "How do you know?"
    "The guy who sold them to me told me so!"

Also, this is the barrier performance I was talking about:

Should I replace my stock of 9mm 147 grain HSTs for ARX? Why not Glasers and Black Talons?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 05-16-2017 at 03:50 PM.

User Tag List