Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gel test: 9mm & .45 ACP Polycase Inceptor ARX

Gel test: 9mm & .45 ACP Polycase Inceptor ARX

Link for phones

9mm 74 gr ARX fired from 4.5" Glock 22 with Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel and .45 ACP 114 gr ARX fired from 5" 1911A1.

Unfortunately, this block failed calibration but only by a small margin. This means that the penetration results are slightly inaccurate, but otherwise, it should still be a reasonably accurate representation of potential and still probably more accurate than Clearballistics gel. The BB calibration result was 498.1 fps and 4.1". Max allowed penetration is 3.75". That said, the gel blocks are approximately 14" long.

Full disclosure: This ammunition was provided at no cost to me by the manufacturer.

Thanks again, Andrew. Both of these seem to have some nasty wounding potential in the first six inches, and might be effective if they hit enough blood vessels, etc., but otherwise the penetrating party of the round is pretty small and light.

I believe that the appearance of the track is deceptive. Here's an article I wrote about the test and the manufacturer's claims:

http://www.homedefensegun.net/polycase-arx-inceptor/

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
    I believe that the appearance of the track is deceptive. Here's an article I wrote about the test and the manufacturer's claims:

http://www.homedefensegun.net/polycase-arx-inceptor/
    I agree with your article with one slight modification--the fragmentation (and the process of fragmentation) is going to create its own wound channels, and that might create bleeding. I think that is part of what we are seeing in the gel (though only part).

Still, I remember back in the 1970's, when people were driving 110 grain hollowpoints at high velocities from .357 magnums. Those bullets tended to semi-explode on contact, and made very nasty--but pretty shallow--wounds. So if you happened to hit a bunch of blood vessels, maybe they would create incapacitation, but they didn't penetrate very far(unless they failed to open) which meant that most of the time they had poor stopping performance. (Except on small rodents. They were sensational on small rodents).

I think that these rounds probably do somewhat the same. If you get a chance, hit a jack rabbit with one. I think you'll be impressed by the result.

The fragmentation is unintentional and, according to the manufacturer, rare. It's also worth noting that fragmentation at pistol velocity leaves the fragments close to there original wound track, which does little to increase the wound.

The fragmentation is unintentional and, according to the manufacturer, rare.
    I wonder about its rarity. I suppose it is possible but if it is truly rare it would be a real outlier for you to get fragmentation like that after firing one round. Any idea of the velocity, by the way? Given the bullet weight I'd guess it was considerable.

It's in the video. 1,200 or so, I think.

It's in the video. 1,200 or so, I think.
    I apologize--sadly my computer currently lacks sound capability. At speeds like that the risk of fragmentation has to be pretty high unless the jacket is very thick.

Directly from their website.

The flutes in the nose of the ARX® bullet harness the gain in kinetic energy accrued due to the increased velocity of fluid through the constriction designed into those flutes. Fluid passing through the ARX® flutes travels between one-and-a-half to two-times the velocity of the bullet. A 9mm ARX® bullet traveling at 1,500 fps will result in fluid flowing through the ARX® flutes at nearly 3,000 fps, resulting in a wound cavity in soft tissue that has been compared by some to be similar to that of a .223 75 gr BTHP. In soft tissue, the ARX® is designed to penetrate 12” to 14”, every time.
    IMHO we are regressing again in our scientific understanding of wound ballistics. This seems to happen every few years. The last time I think was the RBCD/Le Mas debacle. In this case I think the issue is not what the ammunition is made of, but the claims made by the manufacturer. Attempting to improve the performance of pistol ammunition by eliminating expansion, and attempting to increase temporary cavity size shows a complete lack of understanding of wound ballistics. Also in the event that the bullet does fragment the fragments will not have sufficient energy to travel a significant distance from the wound track.

Dr. Gary Roberts
    The tissue surrounding the permanent cavity is briefly pushed laterally aside as it is centrifugally driven radially outward by the projectile's passage. The empty space normally occupied by the momentarily displaced tissue surrounding the wound track, is called the temporary cavity. The temporary cavity quickly subsides as the elastic recoil of the stretched tissue returns it towards the wound track. The tissue that was stretched by the temporary cavity may be injured and is analogous to an area of blunt trauma surrounding the permanent crush cavity. The degree of injury produced by temporary cavitation is quite variable, erratic, and highly dependent on anatomic and physiologic considerations. Many flexible, elastic soft tissues such as muscle, bowel wall, skin, blood vessels, and empty hollow organs are good energy absorbers and are highly resistant to the blunt trauma and contusion caused by the stretch of temporary cavitation. Inelastic tissues such as the liver, kidney, spleen, pancreas, brain, and completely full fluid or gas filled hollow organs, such as the bladder, are highly susceptible to severe permanent splitting, tearing, and rupture due to temporary cavitation insults. Projectiles are traveling at their maximum velocity when they initially strike and then slow as they travel through tissue. In spite of this, the maximum temporary cavity is not always found at the surface where the projectile is at its highest velocity, but often deeper in the tissue after it has slowed considerably. The maximum temporary cavitation is usually coincidental with that of maximum bullet yaw, deformation, or fragmentation, but not necessarily maximum projectile velocity.
    And
    Projectile fragmentation in tissue can also greatly increase the permanent cavity size. When a bullet fragments in tissue, each of the multiple fragments spreads out radially from the main wound track, cutting its own path through tissue. This fragmentation acts synergistically with the stretch of temporary cavitation. The multiply perforated tissue loses its elasticity and is unable to absorb stretching that would ordinarily be tolerated by intact tissue. The temporary cavitation displacement of tissue, which occurs following the passage of the projectile, stretches this weakened tissue and can grossly disrupt its integrity, tearing and detaching pieces of tissue. Note that handgun bullets, regardless of whether they are fired from pistols or SMG’s, do not generally exhibit the fragmentation effects produced by rifle bullets. If handgun bullets do fragment, the bullet fragments are usually found within 1 cm of the permanent cavity; wound severity is usually decreased by the fragmentation since the bullet mass is reduced, causing a smaller permanent crush cavity.
    Last edited by bernieb90; 09-28-2015 at 12:33 AM.

User Tag List