Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ameriglo Night Sight Preferences

I was running a yellow tcap on my fiance's G26 and a Pro Glo Orange on my 26. I prefer the orange and have it paired with a GL-409 which is a .165 rear black notch.

The Pro Glo and the 409 give it almost the same dimensions as a Trijicon set.

A fiber beats them both outside for brightness.

For me, my personal favorite has evolved to standard CAP Yellow front, Operator yellow-lamp rears. That's the combo on my G19 (primary carry). My G26 has same front with yellow CAP rear, G23 has Orange standard CAP front and Orange CAP rear, G30S has TCAP Yellow front and Operator (yellow lamp) rear.

For me, the yellow is just plain easier to pick up all the time. The Orange isn't nearly as "bright" and tends to get "dingy" over time. I have no problem with precision using the Standard CAP fronts, and, the TCAPs actually seem to slow me down at distance as I have so much more "light" to balance on either side.

While shooting another agency's Gen4 G17, I was easily able to hit 100 yard steel (8" circle) with Trijicon HDs, and they're WAY wider than the standard CAP - in fact they completely covered the target at 100 yards...

I've been running the all black Defoor sights for about 18 months on my EDC 19. I've been contemplating adding a tritium set up myself but have been dragging my feet because I really like the Defoors in good lighting.

A friend of mine showed up the other day with Defoor rears and an Ameriglo .125 tritium front on a 17. He said it was the Glock stock height https://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/gl112t.jpg

I liked this combo a lot. After running the all black sights the tritium dot was really easy to pick. It's a little wider than the Defoors obviously but not enough to matter in my opinion.

It would be a nice EDC combo for someone that still wanted a black rear sight in my opinion.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    On my Glocks I use a .125 TCAP with the yellow circle around the tritium and a .150 notch all black rear. With the all black rear the smaller front tritium dot is not an issue. I have also found the Ameriglo yellow to be much better for me as it is photoluminescent and the orange is not.

I like the .125/.150 front to rear ratio for decent precision while still being fairly fast to pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Outstanding write up. Mirrors my experience with CAPS and iDot-Pros.

I've shot iDot Pros on all my Glocks since they came out and they're my favorite sights. I like the balance of the visible front and wide rear notch. They just plain work for me. I bought a pair of TCAPS and really like the accuracy they achieved with the thin front sight but the yellow didn't work for me. If an orange TCAP becomes a reality it will give my iDots something to fear. I prefer orange over yellow. I just acquired a ProGlo front that I'm gonna experiment with in conjunction with a stock Glock rear NS. My wife's G42 has Ameriglo Spartans and I like them as well but only have about 300rds on them.

Reference Trijicon HDs, I like them what little I've used them and if they werent so expensive I'd buy a set but for what Ameriglo offers for the money I can't pass them up.

Re; trijicon HDs...without getting a review (ill be doing one soon) the HDs are tough as nails and can take a lot of abuse. The Ameriglos....not so much. Ive broken several sets of ameriglo sights. While ameriglo is awesome at replacing them, they do break.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I have i-dots on my G17 and G19 with orange front sights and like them very much. The orange is bright in daylight and the single rear lamp is dimmer than the front sight lamp at night. I can't speak from experience in regards to yellow vs orange, but I look forward the trying a yellow front sight for better visability at dusk.
    Last night I installed Ameriglo Spartan Tacticals on my new G43. As side from the fact I spent 2 hours filing them down to fit, at first glance I am not pleased with the double rear lamps. Both are brighter than the front lamp. As well, I find two rear lamps to be a cluttered sight picture. If I can remove the rear Spartan, I'll be installing a new single single lamp rear i-dot and hope to call it good. YMMV.

My use is not professional and I'm not hard on my gear, but all the sets have stood up to a hammer as an install tool and seem to be no worse for the wear.
    Last edited by Alembic; 08-22-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Ameriglo Night Sight Preferences

Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    I have i-dots on my G17 and G19 with orange front sights and like them very much. The orange is bright in daylight and the single rear lamp is dimmer than the front sight lamp at night. I can't speak from experience in regards to yellow vs orange, but I look forward the trying a yellow front sight for better visability at dusk.
    Last night I installed Ameriglo Spartan Tacticals on my new G43. As side from the fact I spent 2 hours filing them down to fit, at first glance I am not pleased with the double rear lamps. Both are brighter than the front lamp. As well, I find two rear lamps to be a cluttered sight picture. If I can remove the rear Spartan, I'll be installing a new single single lamp rear i-dot and hope to call it good. YMMV.

My use is not professional and I'm not hard on my gear, but all the sets have stood up to a hammer as an install tool and seem to be no worse for the wear.
    I took Chuck Hagard's advice and used a red sharpie on the rear dots on a set of Tru-dots. It. Does a great job of dimming them down and increasing the contrast between the front and rear sights.
    Last edited by MGW; 08-22-2015 at 12:43 PM.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post

A friend of mine showed up the other day with Defoor rears and an Ameriglo .125 tritium front on a 17. He said it was the Glock stock height https://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/gl112t.jpg

I liked this combo a lot. After running the all black sights the tritium dot was really easy to pick. It's a little wider than the Defoors obviously but not enough to matter in my opinion.

It would be a nice EDC combo for someone that still wanted a black rear sight in my opinion.
    This is what I have settled on for my carry 19. Just the right amount of space between the rear notch and front sight for me.
    I have the same rear and a .90 fiber for my other 19 for competition.

Had pro idots on a 23+19 for 2 years before, a little too wide for my eyes. Had one set with orange and one with yellow front sight - the yellow was much better for my eyes.

Have a set of HD's on a 34 that I've shot very little with.

Am I the only one who dislike's the HD's?

The front sight still looks big even on the end of the long 34 slide and gets lost in the bowl of the U shaped rear notch for me.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I took Chuck Hagard's advice and used a red sharpie on the rear dots on a set of Tru-dots. It. Does a great job of dimming them down and increasing the contrast between the front and rear sights.
    Thank you for passing along the advice. Sounds like a quick, affordable answer.

My apologies for the bad grammer and spelling. My phone is my only internet connection until we settle in to our new home here in Vermont.
    Last edited by Alembic; 08-22-2015 at 07:00 PM.

User Tag List