4 3.48%
  • Industry Celebrities opinions are not important

27 23.48%
  • 3rd party non-paid reviews are preferred

52 45.22%
  • I only listen to what LittleLebowski says about things

32 27.83%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How important are "industry celebrities" to you when buying a product?

I pay attention to people I respect like Kyle DeFoor and Pat McNamara, but I don't see them as celebrities. They're more like scholars. Celebrities are people like R. Lee Ermey or Bear Grylls. They're good for amusement value only.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I pay attention to people I respect like Kyle DeFoor and Pat McNamara, but I don't see them as celebrities. They're more like scholars. Celebrities are people like R. Lee Ermey or Bear Grylls. They're good for amusement value only.

Okie John
    My thoughts as well, though there are some trainers that straddle that line.

When certain people whose judgment I respect speak, they merit a close read/listen. However, I need to understand and agree with the reasoning behind their hawking of the product before I go out and buy it, and the product has to fill a need for me . In other words: I've bought Gadgets and Clinch Picks but I won't be in line to buy SuperBigNameTrainer's signature rifle from BCM or Larue or whomever.

Okie John
    Completely agree with the above statement. More over, if certain people I have respect for given their background or expertise and years of experience articulates that a specific product has merit and why for an application that may suit me or my specific needs then I will certainly give it a look.

Zeeeeero or nearly so. 0.00 if Tango Down and LAV are hawking it for my Glocks.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I voted for LL (because bacon wasn't an option).

Once upon a time, who's using what was something that I monitored and played an undefined degree of influence in my purchase decision. Learning years ago that, in pretty much every industry, endorsers are paid or compensated in one way or another, I generally put little stock into what they use or say.

ETA: I put considerable stock in the character and actions of business owners. On many occasions, I have made a purchase decisions based on that alone.
    Last edited by StraitR; 08-19-2015 at 06:22 PM.

It does more harm than good for me. The shillyness of .300WTF is still one of the reasons I don't have anything.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Okie John
    I was waiting for someone to bring up Defoor, or Howe, plenty of other instructors like them that fit the same mold.

They have products that have their name on them or their stamp of approval, maybe they even had a hand in making/designing them.

You do not, however, see these guys schilling products like some other types that I have previously stated (lav & haley being on the super schilling side of things), maybe because they know people will listen to them if they back something and they do not want to give people the wrong impression by schilling something.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I was waiting for someone to bring up Defoor, or Howe, plenty of other instructors like them that fit the same mold.

They have products that have their name on them or their stamp of approval, maybe they even had a hand in making/designing them.

You do not, however, see these guys schilling products like some other types that I have previously stated (lav & haley being on the super schilling side of things), maybe because they know people will listen to them if they back something and they do not want to give people the wrong impression by schilling something.
    I like that you can generally get some justification and/or alternatives from those guys and a few others. Defoor especially seems to make a genuine effort to recommend what he thinks is the best and pairs it with use.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

DeFoor is that he has a very open policy about the products he endorses:

With the revamping of my company I’ve decided that we will support American manufacturing. It’s unrealistic to think I can have every piece of kit I need Made in the USA (a stopwatch for example), but whenever possible and feasible this will be our way moving forward. Over the last year and a half me and the boys have tested a number of products for the outdoorsman, hunter, shooter and adventurer. These products are made with the ideals, determination and conviction of our grandparents, fathers, and mothers who worked jobs like farming, manufacturing and local industry. All the Made in USA gear that I highlight will include discount codes and links for where to buy. I did a discount for the masses instead of taking money from these companies because, as I have learned over the years, if I’m paid to endorse it’s not a true legitimate support of the product but rather a say anything to keep the money rolling in endeavor. These products also come with things like lifetime warranties, recraftability and knowing that they were made, in most cases by hand by someone just like you.
    This seems fair and it makes me listen a lot more closely when he talks about other things.

Okie John

I'm with okie john on this 100%. A recent example is Ernest Langdon's recent testing of the Beretta Px4. Ernest Langdon is a SME with a pretty varied backgrund. He's an amazing shooter and well respected in the industry. He came upon the Px4 while searching for something to meet a specific set of criteria he had and now he's running it hard. While I'm not planning on dropping my Glocks for a Px4 any time soon, I'm following his reports with interest.

User Tag List