Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 124: Four Corners

Week 124: Four Corners

Week 124: Four Corners

Results may be posted until September 7th, 2015.

Designed by: Gabe White
    Range: 5 yards
    Target: Six, numbered, two inch circles, download here - http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...s-numbered.pdf
    Start Position: Holstered
    Rounds Fired: 24

This is something of a follow-on drill to Week 115: Typewriter. It will be a fairly simple live fire drill suitable for the constraints of many ranges, and will focus on upward, downward, and diagonal transitions on fairly difficult targets.

If your range does not allow drawing from a holster, start from a ready position with the muzzle pointed off the target and add two seconds to your time for each string.

You must shoot the targets in proper order each time.

String 1: Shoot one shot each to the targets 1, 6, 3, 4
    String 2: Shoot one shot each to the targets 3, 4, 1, 6
    String 3: Shoot one shot each to the targets 4, 3, 6, 1
    String 4: Shoot one shot each to the targets 6, 1, 4, 3
    String 5: Shoot one shot each to the targets 1, 4, 3, 6
    String 6: Shoot one shot each to the targets 3, 6, 1, 4

Your score is the number of hits you made (out of 24) divided by your total time for the six strings of fire. So for example if you get 23 hits and shoot it in 25.55 seconds your score is:

23 ÷ 25.55 = 0.80

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any)
    Number of Hits
    Times
    Total Score
    Observations: anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Gen 3 G-17, Blade Tech, open carry.
    18/24
    32.32 seconds
    Observations: Trigger control is very important.

Gen 3 G19 Fricke AIWB, T shirt
    20/24

Name:  20150808_135331.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  48.6 KB
    21/24
    Glock 19 in a JM appendix t shirt. Most runs were seven seconds but I had a speed reload that pushed it up to 9 for that run and lead to two missed dots

Beretta Elite II, AIWB under a polo.

19/24 - 5 shots out
    34.69 sec

Observations: Front sight, front sight, front sight....

String 1: 6.81
    String 2: 6.40
    String 3: 5.61
    String 4: 5.44
    String 5: 4.71
    String 6: 5.72

Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 08-09-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Equipment used: Glock 17, JMCK AIWB under T shirt
    Number of Hits: 23
    Times: 35.18
    Total Score: 0.65
    Observations: Had to resist urge to look at the next target before completing shot.

I turned in a horrendous set of numbers on this drill. Contrary to last week, I didn't take the time I needed to get the hits and shot this way too fast. For some reason I had it in my head that I wanted 4 second runs to get a 1. Obviously out of my skill level at this point but that didn't stop me from trying and failing miserably. My first run was with a gun that I haven't really trained with before but I wanted to run a different piece of gear so I shot it a bit. Then I ran it with my regular training gun/gear.

5" FNS, DSG AIWB, polo
    I am embarrassed to even post that as I know better and should have taken my time, especially on an unfamiliar platform.

CZ P09, JMCK AIWB, polo
    Still not happy with this, but obviously better than the previous run. I definitely need to take some time away from the timer when working dots and ease my way to dots at speed.

Dots, especially at speed, have been my achilles heel. I am going to spend some time this week working them. The FNS was reasonably close on other drills that I ran in comparison, but when low percentage targets came into play as in this drill, I fell off.

I'm running low on 9mm, plus I've been jonesing to shoot a big revolver for a while now. So, for the heck of it, I tried this drill with my Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum using full charge ammunition. Unfortunately, turns out that when not using winter gloves (yes, it's been that long since I shot the gun last) the new, pretty wood grips on the gun remove skin off my thumb in recoil. This made not flinching difficult. Trying to focus on a very careful trigger pull and not flinch made the times really long. So, what sounded like a fun idea didn't pan out so well in the end. The final score was pretty ridiculously bad...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I used a different target, but it is still 2" circles. I thought I still had some 6 dot targets in my range bag from 2" dot DotW, but nope. I also thought I had my P226...but it was my P220, and I didn't take any .45 with me. So, I only shot my P229.

Sig P229 .40
    Open Carry kydex holster (actually for a P226, did I mention I thought I took my P226?)
    Speer Lawman 180gr

18 hits

String 1: 2.24 sec
    String 2: 1.96 sec
    String 3: 2.04 sec
    String 4: 2.20 sec
    String 5: 2.07 sec
    String 6: 2.27 sec
    Total time: 12.78 sec

Hit Factor: 18/12.78 = 1.41

Things noticed: I shot some 75y steel and some 15y barricade work before running this, so it was not shot cold. I was able to run this at a good pace and my misses weren't very far out. Keeping my elbows down to put more lateral pressure on the gun helps. I'm going to run this one again next week with my P226 and see how it compares.

Equipment used: G19 Gen 3, Ameriglo I-Dot Pros, Raven Concealment Eidolon under a tshirt

Number of Hits: 18/24

Times:
    String 1: 8.43
    String 2: 8.21
    String 3: 8.13
    String 4: 8.94
    String 5: 7.91
    String 6: 7.18

Total Score: 18/50.8 = 0.35

Observations: I accidentally printed the target out with 1.75" circles, not 2" circles, soI'm counting that shot on the right side of dot 4 that looks like the grease ring didn't break the line

Name:  8-14 four corners.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  97.9 KB

User Tag List