Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 126: Defoor Pistol Test 1

Week 126: Defoor Pistol Test 1

Week 126: Defoor Pistol Test 1

Results may be posted until September 21st, 2015

Designed by: Kyle Defoor
    Range: 25 and 7 yards
    Target: USPSA Metric with additional B8 repair center. Download B8 here: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1322428748
    Start Position: Concealed and holstered for all strings
    Rounds Fired: 15

Defoor Pistol Test 1 is intended to be run cold. In the video below, Defoor specifies a week or ten days of not shooting to meet his definition of cold. A lot of us aren't going to go that long without shooting. Do use it as the first drill of a shooting session without prior warmup, however.

Defoor also specifies 6 yards as the closer shooting distance in his video. The distance has since been changed to 7 yards.

Position the B8 repair center so that the bottom edge aligns with the C/D zone of the USPSA Metric target. You can see the positioning in the video.

String 1: Start with your hand touching the target. At the start signal to run to the 25 yard line, face downrange, draw, and shoot 6 rounds to the B8 repair center. Score the B8. Must have at least 50 points, must complete string in less than 30 seconds (including running uprange.) Over time shot or less than 50 points = FAIL

The rest of the test is conducted at the 7 yard line, with the B8 repair center now representing a hostage.

String 2: At the start signal, draw and shoot 1 round to the lower A-zone. It will actually be the upper half of the lower A-zone, directly above the B8. Must hit in under 2 seconds. Over time shot or miss (out of the reduced lower A-zone) = FAIL

String 3: At the start signal, draw and shoot 6 rounds to the lower A-zone. It will actually be the upper half of the lower A-zone, directly above the B8. Must hit with all shots in under 4.5 seconds. Over time shot or miss (out of the reduced lower A-zone) = FAIL

String 4: At the start signal, draw and shoot 2 rounds to the upper A-zone (credit card in the head.) Must hit with all shots in under 3.5 seconds. Over time shot or miss (out of the upper A-zone) = FAIL

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol, holster, and concealment used
    Time and number of hits for each string
    Pass or Fail
    Anything you noticed

Kyle Defoor shooting Defoor Pistol Test 1:

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I HAVE to warm up. Last time I did one of these with running I pulled a hammy.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I don't understand how you score a B8..

String 1 - 24.99 seconds 1 10 ring 2 8's and 2 7's (1 miss). FAIL
    String 2 - 1.88 seconds PASS
    String 3 - ?.?? Only fired 5 shots I can either focus on the front sight or focus on counting, can't do both. FAIL
    string 4 - 3.21 some how counted to two..

I haven't fired a round in 11 days and my dry fire hasn't been good. Pretty pissed at these results. Didn't even want to post them, but I really want to win a gun. I need to practice more at the 25, still haven't figured out how to hit small things at distance with these trijicon HudeD's.

M&P9
    Kydex OWB holster
    Feel defeated and itchy due to Mosquitos. Will try again tomorrow
    Last edited by Luke; 08-21-2015 at 05:34 PM.

Used a Glock 34 with Trijicon HD yellow front sight and a Warren Tactical rear. Concealment (for the 7 yard strings because I got in a hurry and forgot to put the vest on before shooting at 25) open front hiking vest. Holster was a CompTac strong side OWB.

25 yards 22.11 seconds, score 46 – Fail for score and for not using concealment garment as required.
    7 yards 1.62 seconds 1 hit – Pass
    7 yards 4.61 seconds 5 hits upper A, 1 hit upper hostage – Fail for time and hitting hostage.
    7 yards 3.33 seconds 2 hits – Pass

Observations: These drills are a heck of a lot harder than the LEO quals I used to do. Also more fun and challenging in a good way, you actually get something out of it in fewer rounds. Not surprised at the Fails, they were a lot closer to a Pass than expected, and the Passes were quite encouraging. This was fired as the first course of the day. The last time I did any live fire was on Friday August 14, 2015.

Pistol, holster, and concealment used: Glock19 (G4), Keeper AIWB, Polo shirt.
    String #, Pass/Fail - Time and number of hits for each string:
    1. Fail -- 20.83 seconds, 49 score (missed by 1 point).
    2. Fail -- 2.06 seconds (0.06 overtime), hit was good.
    3. Pass -- 4.01 seconds, all six hits.
    4. Fail -- 3.69 seconds (0.19 overtime), 1 hit and 1 miss high by ~1/4".

Anything you noticed:
    I really liked this test, and was looking forward too it. Shooting a test first thing is different, and stretch exercises every morning are a good idea. I had a lot more time to shoot after the 25 yard dash than I expected during string 1, regret not taking more time on the first shot (threw it up and left outside the "7" ring on the edge of the paper). String 3 was surprisingly good, and the failed strings weren't failing by much. May try this again, it was fun.

Name:  20150823a_Defoor_T1.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  18.9 KB
    Last edited by Skeeter; 08-23-2015 at 07:11 PM.

Cz p09 , JMCK AIWB, t shirt
    String 1 - fail. 17.71 seconds, 44 points, 1 off paper, first shot at 10.08
    String 2 - pass, 1.88
    String 3 - fail, 5.05, clean, 2.42 draw, missed cover garment and got hung up
    String 4 - fail, 3.26, missed 1(.5 inch low)

I really enjoyed this test. I came in knowing i could make the times if everything went right...obviously that didn't happen. I figured my biggest challenge would be scoring 50 at 25, if i could have pulled the 1 on paper i would have made it..If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

Overall i really enjoyed it and will incorporate it into more sessions. The times are challenging without being stupid hard, just enough time to do everything right.

Glock 34.
    Comp-Tac IWB.
    Pass

Here's the vid

Last edited by Tom_Jones; 09-01-2015 at 03:11 PM.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    I don't understand how you score a B8.

String 1 - 24.99 seconds 1 10 ring 2 8's and 2 7's (1 miss). FAIL.
    Each bullet hole is worth as many points as the number of the ring it is in

Each bullet hole that breaks the line between two rings gets the highest value of the two rings

Holes in the X ring are worth 10 points

Add them up

Your score is 40/60 (10+16+14)
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 08-29-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Two weeks cold.

M&P 9, JMCK AIWB, untucked polo

S1: 23.xx (forgot to record the exact time), 46/60
    S2: 1.53
    S3: 3.53
    S4: 2.45 1M

FAIL

Last edited by 2alpha-down0; 08-31-2015 at 08:35 AM.
    One of the biggest and most common mistakes gun owners make is assuming that they are done learning how to shoot.

I didn't shoot this one cold, by Defoor's definition. I've dry fired in the last 24 hrs and live fired a couple days ago. [shrug]

String one:
    57-1x
    Pass

String 2:
    Pass

3: 4.22
    Pass

4: 2.45
    Pass

PASS

Last edited by Tom_Jones; 09-01-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: fixed x-count

User Tag List