Page 52 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Better half was making egg salad as she often does and I finally convinced her to include a pickled egg or two. She and kids all declared it to be the new standard.

Victory is mine!

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Made a potroast yesterday with Alton's...reloaded recipe. only changes were the addition of Thai fish sauce, worchestershire, and soy. To boost meatiest. So much yum. Cooked extra potatoes, mushrooms, carrots and onions. I have palns....

pat
    I tried this roast beef over vegetables from Michael Symon (The Chew) last week. Thought it was pretty good.

http://the-chew-recipes.com/beef-roa...michael-symon/

Site Supporter
    After cooking our corned beef for SPD, I took 2 pounds of Brussels Sprouts and boiled them in the stock until tender. The flavor was EXCELLENT (fat = flavor) but the texture was a bit disappointing (boiled cabbage-y). Wife decided to smash them up, add some bread crumbs and mix in some eggs, then make patties and pan fry them in just a bit of avocado oil. They came out phenomenal. Tasted like potato pancakes... I actually sliced one up and rolled it up with some raw salmon and cream cheese into a sushi roll that was strange, but delicious.

Sorry, no pics on this...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    After cooking our corned beef for SPD, I took 2 pounds of Brussels Sprouts and boiled them in the stock until tender. The flavor was EXCELLENT (fat = flavor) but the texture was a bit disappointing (boiled cabbage-y). Wife decided to smash them up, add some bread crumbs and mix in some eggs, then make patties and pan fry them in just a bit of avocado oil. They came out phenomenal. Tasted like potato pancakes... I actually sliced one up and rolled it up with some raw salmon and cream cheese into a sushi roll that was strange, but delicious.

Sorry, no pics on this...
    I cook my Brussel Sprouts on a cast iron skillet. Takes about 10 min. If you cook with fat you can get the flavor without the boiled cabbage texture. It's not going to be completely crunchy but not boiled like. Towards the end I crush some garlic while everything is still cooking and then a little bit of fresh garlic after everything is off the skillet. Since you're mixing it in the heat still kinda cooks the garlic a little but you get more of the kick and spice of the garlic.

They also sell Pork Rinds like panko you can sprinkle inn

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I cook my Brussel Sprouts on a cast iron skillet. Takes about 10 min. If you cook with fat you can get the flavor without the boiled cabbage texture. It's not going to be completely crunchy but not boiled like. Towards the end I crush some garlic while everything is still cooking and then a little bit of fresh garlic after everything is off the skillet. Since you're mixing it in the heat still kinda cooks the garlic a little but you get more of the kick and spice of the garlic.

They also sell Pork Rinds like panko you can sprinkle inn

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    We usually roast our sprouts. Often with diced bacon and onions.
    Boiling was a spur of the moment thing that turned out meh, until Wife came to the rescue.

Skillet would be a great way to go.
    Don't forget a drizzle of Balsamic Vinegar.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    My tablet takes crappy pics, but here we go.

Bought 4.5 pounds of chuck roast (Angus) at Sam's. Used Alton's Final Roast recipe and fed four. Had extra veg on it. Then I used some of it to make Australian Meat Pies. Fed four with leftovers. Took about half of what remained and put into a hot, oiled pan, and applied a potato masher (the old school kitchen tool, not the German hand grenade). Mashed and flipped until crispy (I might have gotten impatient an used a butane torch to help it along). Created a couple of wells, and dropped in a couple of eggs and put the lid on until they were just shy of sunny side easy (yolks were easy done with a thin layer of cooked white, steamed without flipping) with salt and pepper.

(pot)Roast Beef Hash with Eggs...
    Name:  20220324_091426.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  38.6 KB

Name:  20220324_091135.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  42.9 KB

YUM.

pat

Site Supporter
    Anyone ever see garlic do this?

We've been buying peeled garlic in small quantities (a few ounces at a time) and pureeing it in the mini-chopper or with a hand blender. Never saw this before, although I know it's not unheard of. Last week we bought a big bag of peeled garlic at Costco, pureed it with the immersion blender, jarred the results in the fridge and within a few days it started turning green.

Funny that it turns back to white when you cook it in a pan.

Tastes fine and it hasn't killed us .... Yet

Maybe some preservative in the Costco bag that triggers this?

Name:  Garlic.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  49.3 KB

Site Supporter
    Made pulled pork on the pit barrel on Saturday. The day got away from me and I was lighting the coals around noon. Was following Jeff Philips recipe using big bald bbq rub after coating with mustard. Had to wrap a little before 160 as it was falling off the hooks and to speed things along. Used pineapple juice for the liquid. Wasn't crazy about the end result, but that was expected, we prefer to not wrap to get the extra smoke flavor and some bark. Used leftovers for Brunswick stew, from the same cookbook.
    Name:  image_67237377.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  47.6 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Anyone ever see garlic do this?

We've been buying peeled garlic in small quantities (a few ounces at a time) and pureeing it in the mini-chopper or with a hand blender. Never saw this before, although I know it's not unheard of. Last week we bought a big bag of peeled garlic at Costco, pureed it with the immersion blender, jarred the results in the fridge and within a few days it started turning green.

Funny that it turns back to white when you cook it in a pan.

Tastes fine and it hasn't killed us .... Yet

Maybe some preservative in the Costco bag that triggers this?
    article.

I routinely put smashed garlic cloves, whole black peppercorns, and chiles japones in every jar of pickles that I open, hopefully a week or so before I want to eat them. I have noticed recently while making dill pickle martinis (4oz vodka, 2 oz dill pickle brine, rocks and garnish) that alcohol and brine seem to speed up the reaction. Those things are quick to drain, too.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    article.

I routinely put smashed garlic cloves, whole black peppercorns, and chiles japones in every jar of pickles that I open, hopefully a week or so before I want to eat them. I have noticed recently while making dill pickle martinis (4oz vodka, 2 oz dill pickle brine, rocks and garnish) that alcohol and brine seem to speed up the reaction. Those things are quick to drain, too.

pat
    Thanks for the link.... This made me smile...
    level of greenness is almost a direct litmus test for how strong your garlic will taste.
    I've enjoyed pickle martinis, but, my ratio is more like 4:1... Gets too salty for me.
    The brine from cocktail onions is also good for this as well. If you like more sour.

User Tag List