Page 45 of 61 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Tonight's dinner was miso marinated sablefish and roasted kabocha squash with cumin/salt/pepper. Imagine a white fish that has a buttery texture, ten times better than halibut.

Scaled and cleaned several of the weekend's smallmouth. About to slit the sides, stuff with sliced garlic and backyard rosemary, rub with olive oil, salt, top with a whole grain pub mustard and white wine mixture, then bake at 375 degrees Freedom until done. Will serve with a simple pasta salad featuring cut-up beets, lemon juice, olive oil, and za'atar. Some kielbasa will get browned up, as well for the one guest who doesn't do fish.

Tomorrow, will cook up the brook trout and sucker. May pan fry the trout but undecided on the sucker. Probably chunk up, batter, and deep fry.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Scaled and cleaned several of the weekend's smallmouth. About to slit the sides, stuff with sliced garlic and backyard rosemary, rub with olive oil, salt, top with a whole grain pub mustard and white wine mixture, then bake at 375 degrees Freedom until done. Will serve with a simple pasta salad featuring cut-up beets, lemon juice, olive oil, and za'atar. Some kielbasa will get browned up, as well for the one guest who doesn't do fish.

Tomorrow, will cook up the brook trout and sucker. May pan fry the trout but undecided on the sucker. Probably chunk up, batter, and deep fry.
    Last time I took the kiddos fishing we got a couple of rainbow trout. Cleaned em, stuffed them with butter, scallions, green stuff, and lemons. Wrapped them in bacon and cooked them directly on the coals, caveman style. Will do again.

pat

I've been living the bachelor life and will continue to do so until Friday when the better half returns. Breakfast consisted of an intricate preparation of heated Heinz beans on toasted split-top wheat, store brand of course, with a few goodly spots of HP sauce to finish. Lunch of cubed redskin potatoes boiled before tossing with salt and butter. Topped with packet mushroom gravy livened up with the last of the fermented chile paste from yesterday's seafood drunken noodle takeout. Side of halved orange cherry tomatoes fresh from the yard.

Scored some salami butt ends cheap while getting groceries. Will finely cube and crisp/render couple-three to make a somewhat meaty puttanesca on Sunday. Over fettuccini and freshly homemade crusty no-knead bread and some simple dipping oil and infused vinegars left from a party a while back.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I thought you would all enjoy some interesting recipes that look easy to make.

6 Comfort Foods Born of Historic Times of Discomfort

"When the going got tough, the tough left recipes."
    My mother used to do cornbread in buttermilk.

Chicken on my Broil-King Keg.

https://imgur.com/a/lsN1rn4

Site Supporter
    Until yesterday, I had never made a meatloaf. Wife makes them occasionally, but, never me. After spending a few days in the German part of Texas, eating schnitzel and being tempted by the several places that had meatloaf on the menu, I was overcome with a meatloaf craving that was piqued when I wandered past a 2-pound package of ground beef and pork mix at the local grocer.

I grabbed that and a package of McCormick seasoning, diced up an onion, some roasted Hatch chilies, some fresh garlic, Italian spiced bread crumbs and topped it with a hefty squeeze of Heinz. The 4 of us ate nearly 2-pounds of loaf, less 2 slices. Here's the one I ate for lunch today, reheated in a hot buttered pan, with an over-very-easy egg on top, and brown gravy, of course. And some leftover green beans to make my Dr less sad.

Name:  Loaf.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  70.4 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

About to host a Bad Movie double feature in the back yard (the hilariously failed noir Jail Bait and my beloved Mosquito) and am keeping the menu simple:

- Hotdogs browned in a cast iron skillet with a dab of butter. Plus buns, of course.

- Canned chili, finely minced red onion, sauerkraut, jarred sliced jalapeņos, ketchup, and mustard to complete the hotdog bar.

- Tortilla chips, sour cream, and salsa.

- Jerry Thomas' ale punch from 1862. Two quarts ale (I'm using a lovely and lightly hopped unfiltered red as you don't want notable bitterness), and a half cup each of lemon juice, good young white wine on the dryer side, brandy (neither too smokey nor too smooth as it needs some rough edges to hold up and exists to add an earthy fruityness to round out the wine), and capillaire (base rexipe of 2c sugar, 1c water, and 1/2tsp orange blossom water), all in a bowl, float ice or toast, grate some numeg over the top.

- Lemony iced tea of leftovers from yhe last few mornings' teapots, some more of the capillaire, lemon juice, water, and ice.

- Pipe bar of corncobs and a small selection of tobaccos, cigar bar, pipe cleaners, pipe filters, lighter and match selection.

I picked up a day-old loaf of ciabatta on Tuesday and decided to use it, today. About fifteen minutes on the top rack in a 350° oven restored the crust and left the center lightly steamy and chewy. Good as new.

Halved with the bottom thicker than the top, pinched out 2/3 to 3/4 of the bread, thickly sliced yhe length of a pack of mixed turkey butt ends (about equal proportions buffalo, Santa Fe, and couple different plain), tossed them in a bowl to mix, and mounded into the bottom half of the loaf. Topped with provolone to cover, and back into the oven to melt. Spread the top of the loaf with a thin smear of pub mustard and topped the melted bottom with Polish sauerkraut and thinly sliced red onion. Put the halves of the loaf back together and sliced into serving pieces. Plated each with more sauerkraut topped with the remaining red onion and good dill pickle slices. Opened my sandwich back up to add some vinegary hots.

Opened a bottle of 2019 red from La Vieille Ferme to accompany. Rest of the bottle will go into a pasta sauce tonight with a the remaining coupme glasses worth as my nightcap. Judge all yoy want but I prefer young table wines and almost always have a firm ten dollar price limit. Sometimes fifteen. Sometimes.

Now to pack for an overnight bear hunt.

I've been playing with New York sours for the last few days. "Just" whiskey sours with a red wine float. My first was an eggless control using bourbon:

Name:  20210910_151349.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  69.5 KB

But, as usual, David Wondrich turned out to have the best take: https://imbibemagazine.com/recipe/new-york-sour-recipe/

- Rye stands up through everything better than bourbon and with a better balance. Spendy bourbon is too smooth and it comes out flat, young bourbon too mild, high proof bourbon still muddled and out of balance. Could use high rye bourbon but why pay for that rather than just use rye?

- The sugar:lemon juice ration definitely changes from a regular sour. You'll use less sweet even with a dry wine. And skip strong syrup, simple is plenty and the bit extra water keeps the final drink from being too thick. This is where I'll disagree with Wondrich when using the wines I've tried, so far. 3/4 ounce is a bit sweet but dropping to 1/2 is a bit light. I've settled on eyeballing the level a couple hairs shy of the 3/4 line in my jigger.

- The wine is best young. No oakiness needed with the whiskey doing its thing, nuance will gey drowned out, but a solid flavor base with some tannic edge and lightly peppery note is great. A typical rather than fruity new age beaujolais is about right if generalizing style.

- Egg white is absolutely delicious but not as pretty as eggless. For yourself and those not fussy, go for the foamy loveliness of eggwhite. For general service, skip it. The foam is stained by wine with every sip and gets discolored enough to offend some sensibilities.

- The float is worth the minimal effort. Some just pour the wine and let it blend. Floating looks better and gives a bit of proportional variation between sips.

User Tag List