Page 39 of 61 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow you keep your charcoal in chimneys? Whats the wood for? Whats the controller doing?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Plusses and negative would be a good place to start. Temp control. Is it set it and walk away? How easy is the charcoal height adjustment.
    Im planning on buying an upgrade next year. Currently using a Weber kettle and it does everything I need to do but Id like more surface area.
    Id also like something that does well when theres snow on the ground.

Plusses and negative would be a good place to start. Temp control. Is it set it and walk away? How easy is the charcoal height adjustment.
    Im planning on buying an upgrade next year. Currently using a Weber kettle and it does everything I need to do but Id like more surface area.
    Temp control is pretty easy, I mostly cook/smoke at 275-325F depending on what it is. I can hold those temps pretty well for long periods as long as your not constantly opening up the top. I’ve done 11 hour pork shoulder and 13 hour brisket maintaining 280-295F with 2 charcoal chimney of B&B char logs as coal base and about 4-5 splits of pecan through out the cook. All of those cooks have been with off-set fire like the picture above. It is very well built with heavy gauge steel that holds temp very well, but the paint is not the best imo and could have been nicer for the price. Cook surface is large enough to have large cast iron pans cooking sides and multiple steaks/burgers with no space issues.

I’d skip the competition cart option. There really is no need for it unless you like the looks. With the standard cart it comes with a under shelf and large wheels with locks (2) and tie downs if you do need to haul it somewhere. I don’t regret the standard cart option.

Charcoal height adjustment is easy with a handle (see pics above) the handle can be set to the left or right side of the unit. The ash catch located under the pit is full length of the unit and can be switched to left or right side slide out to fit your bbq area.

The lid needs to be bbq felt gasketed to help seal up and keep more smoke in. It wasn’t designed to be a smoker but does the job easily.

I purchased the stainless flat top griddle attachment as well and probably should not have. I cook a lot with cast iron pans instead of the griddle just for easy of cleaning.

Another option if you haven’t seen it is the Weber Ranch for @ $1400-1600.

AKA: SkyLine1

Temp control is pretty easy, I mostly cook/smoke at 275-325F depending on what it is. I can hold those temps pretty well for long periods as long as your not constantly opening up the top. I’ve done 11 hour pork shoulder and 13 hour brisket maintaining 280-295F with 2 charcoal chimney of B&B char logs as coal base and about 4-5 splits of pecan through out the cook. All of those cooks have been with off-set fire like the picture above. It is very well built with heavy gauge steel that holds temp very well, but the paint is not the best imo and could have been nicer for the price. Cook surface is large enough to have large cast iron pans cooking sides and multiple steaks/burgers with no space issues.

I’d skip the competition cart option. There really is no need for it unless you like the looks. With the standard cart it comes with a under shelf and large wheels with locks (2) and tie downs if you do need to haul it somewhere. I don’t regret the standard cart option.

Charcoal height adjustment is easy with a handle (see pics above) the handle can be set to the left or right side of the unit. The ash catch located under the pit is full length of the unit and can be switched to left or right side slide out to fit your bbq area.

The lid needs to be bbq felt gasketed to help seal up and keep more smoke in. It wasn’t designed to be a smoker but does the job easily.

I purchased the stainless flat top griddle attachment as well and probably should not have. I cook a lot with cast iron pans instead of the griddle just for easy of cleaning.

Another option if you haven’t seen it is the Weber Ranch for @ $1400-1600.

Is there enough room to smoke immediately followed by sear?

Wow you keep your charcoal in chimneys? Whats the wood for? Whats the controller doing?
    Controller is for temp readings (4 probes). Chimneys for coal base start up then pour out onto the adjustable coal base and splits of wood to burn on top of coal base for smoke source.

Is there enough room to smoke immediately followed by sear?
    Absolutely, you can slide the grate over the fire source from the other side or just put the grate back on over the fire. There is 2 grates left/right.

Absolutely, you can slide the grate over the fire source from the other side or just put the grate back on over the fire. There is 2 grates left/right.

Cool. I may have found my next grill smoker. Re the weber ranch it looks like a bigger version of a standard kettle. Very limiting. Now i use a wire rack to elevate my coals so its a set height right below the grate. I dont find it optimal for grilling.

Somebody tell me, can this be for real?

I gotta make this.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

I gotta make this.

I can't vouch for the keto part, but I've made cheesecake in the instant pot 4 or 5 times and it was amazing each time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

I gotta make this.

Some fresh raspberries or blueberries on the top would be nice.
    WifeGBiv does not like cheesecake so, feel free to invite me if you decide to make this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List