Page 38 of 61 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Site Supporter
    I'm STILL working on the timing and temps for smoking Tri Tip.
    This one was excellent, but, it heats up too fast, even with the smoker on low (about 180'F - 200'F yesterday).
    I'm hoping to find a way to get 2 hours of smoke on it before searing. Only about 1:15 yesterday before it hit 90'F internal.
    Maybe when the weather gets cooler, when the smoker will run cooler on "low".

Has anyone tried putting a roast in the freezer for a half hour or so before smoking? I was tempted yesterday, but will probably try it next time.

Still.... delicious.

Name:  Tip 0.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  96.0 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'm STILL working on the timing and temps for smoking Tri Tip.
    This one was excellent, but, it heats up too fast, even with the smoker on low (about 180'F - 200'F yesterday).
    I'm hoping to find a way to get 2 hours of smoke on it before searing. Only about 1:15 yesterday before it hit 90'F internal.
    Maybe when the weather gets cooler, when the smoker will run cooler on "low".

Has anyone tried putting a roast in the freezer for a half hour or so before smoking? I was tempted yesterday, but will probably try it next time.

Still.... delicious.

Name:  Tip 0.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  96.0 KB
    Are you using wood chips to increase the smoke?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Are you using wood chips to increase the smoke?
    Pellet smoker... I could dial up the rate... Good idea!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

https://amazingribs.com/heavy-d-incr...pellet-cookers

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...wood-smoke-and

I have found that using the upper shelf gets more airflow around the meat than the lower shelf. I asked the AmazingRibs.com science advisor Prof. Greg Blonder about the problem (he has a MAK 1 Star). He explained that smoke sticks to cool surfaces and wet surfaces, and the surface of meat warms and dries out after a few hours. When he wants more smoke flavor he uses a strong smoke wood like hickory or mesquite, he starts with cold meat, and then he keeps the meat moist by painting or misting it with apple juice or a mop like Lexington Dip or East Carolina Mop or Texas Mop Sauce. A awter pan can help because the water condenses on the cool meat and attracts smoke. Read his detailed research on the subject in my article on the Science of Wood and my article on Basting.

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...pellet-smokers

If you click on the link there are highlighted links within the article to see the detailed info.

Site Supporter
    I have found that using the upper shelf gets more airflow around the meat than the lower shelf. I asked the AmazingRibs.com science advisor Prof. Greg Blonder about the problem (he has a MAK 1 Star). He explained that smoke sticks to cool surfaces and wet surfaces, and the surface of meat warms and dries out after a few hours. When he wants more smoke flavor he uses a strong smoke wood like hickory or mesquite, he starts with cold meat, and then he keeps the meat moist by painting or misting it with apple juice or a mop like Lexington Dip or East Carolina Mop or Texas Mop Sauce. A awter pan can help because the water condenses on the cool meat and attracts smoke. Read his detailed research on the subject in my article on the Science of Wood and my article on Basting.

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...pellet-smokers

If you click on the link there are highlighted links within the article to see the detailed info.
    Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    I had the old AKORN model, keep out of the weather period. Rain will get in regardless of using the supplied weatherproof cover. Mine rusted out at the bottom where the ash collects and collects all the moisture/rain. Besides that I turned out some pretty good bbq on it. I bought mine as a get my toes wet item before I spent big $$ on a xxl egg or big joe.

I actually went a 180 and picked up a Yoder 24x48 flat top charcoal grill that can smoke up some crazy good bbq when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lets talk about the Yoder😁😎

Lets talk about the Yoder[emoji16][emoji41]
    What ya want to know?

AKA: SkyLine1

AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    What ya want to know?

Plusses and negative would be a good place to start. Temp control. Is it set it and walk away? How easy is the charcoal height adjustment.
    Im planning on buying an upgrade next year. Currently using a Weber kettle and it does everything I need to do but Id like more surface area.

User Tag List