Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    While shopping, a nice little sirloin called to me. Finely minced and defatted it with a chef's knife before mixing with a healthy pinch of salt and dash of Worcestershire. Then packed into little custard cups to mould onto plates and dished the tops with the back of a spoon. The yolk of an egg went i to each well I'd created. Sliced a baguette on the bias and brewed one fresh pot of tea to accompany. My serving was also sided with some diced red onion, scoop of whole capers, and extra splash of Worcestershire. Steak tartare and tea out at the picnic table made for a particularly enjoyable lunch.

The deli had some interesting butt ends of this and that from the Labor Day surge wrapped together for cheap. My super will be what looks like a thick, inviting chunk of pickle and pimiento loaf on split top wheat with white American cheese, good mustard, sliced tomato, thin smear of butter on the bottom bread, couple spicy pickle spears and can of lychee drink on the side.

Tomorrow will be the day to make a potato salad involving the rest of today's jar of capers among other things, a simply dressed beet dalad, and chicken fried steak with envelope mix mushroom gravy. Will start a proper lemonade tonight by mixing sugar and lemon zest to become sherbet by morning. Don't usually do dessert but grabbed a small tiramisu at the shop. Will have that with tea after the gut-busting luncheon. Probably start the week's 24-hour fast from there.
    Capers. Sorry, just can't. Capers...Really? No, won't stoop...sorry dude, you are on your own...Capers are gross... Worchestershire, red onion, mustard, tomato, pickles, beets. YES! The proper lemonade is indeed the proper lemonade...

I would have lunch with you, even if the lunch had capers...<bleach>...

pat

Subcontractor left sacks of assorted cucumber, various tomatoes, and kale at the jobsite, yesterday. I scored all of the kale since no one else knew what it was or was even willing to touch it plus a bit of everything else.Today's looking rough so made a comfort breakfast.

Sliced a cucumber, halved cherry tomatoes, diced a regular tomato, added some of my pickled jalapeño, minced in red onion, tore up a bit of lettuce, crumbled some salty brine packed feta, and had a salad base ready to go. Dressed with balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, crushed red pepper, Italian seasoning, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.

Also sliced the last bit of liverwurst in the fridge and quickly browned in a dab of melted butter. That made for an open faced sandwich. Heel of a wheat bread loaf, good deli mustard, prepared horseradish, couple slices off a large dill pickle, couple tomato slices, and one slice of havarti. About to do some pumpgun dryfire with dummy shells to work slug select, top off loading, port loads, and most importantly running the slide positively to keep the short-stroke boogeyman at bay. Will try to self-police about proper push-pull technique and use a small cross shaped target to demand front sight on target. Then stow the Mossberg and head out for a few miles worth of constitutional. May do squats with deadfalls as a guest dropped by, preventing the morning's calisthenics.

Quick dinner when back home of leftover ratatouille (all veg except onion, garlic, and eggplant from father's garden) over frwsgly boiled egg noodles with plenty of cracked black pepper and few shakes of hotsauce.

Weber kettle cant tolerate cool wind. Heres a simple solution. Cheap cotton towels.
    Name:  A5B03951-384D-451A-906D-D6ECE2781D42.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  69.8 KB
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Two chucks smoked and then texas crutch’ed

Name:  5C46E776-9A2F-4995-8E2B-E4B6A1E844F3.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  62.0 KB

These chunks of beef are the cut between the chuck and the ribeye. They can also be cut and grilled as steaks. Excellent meat at lower cost than ribeye.

Name:  5B3FB6F0-4D41-413E-A964-45787159483D.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  100.4 KB
    Name:  E095CB42-E060-4D0E-B44A-C59DC1087C89.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  55.0 KB

This is the smaller size of the weber kettle. If I were going to do it again Id get the large one.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Thick cut pork chops on my new grill. Broil-King Keg 2000. A few chips of mesquite mixed in with the lump charcoal makes for a tasty meal. I'm a novice in grilling but I'm having a lot fun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Thick cut pork chops on my new grill. Broil-King Keg 2000. A few chips of mesquite mixed in with the lump charcoal makes for a tasty meal. I'm a novice in grilling but I'm having a lot fun.
    1. That looks delicious.
    2. Is that cooker supposed to compete with the Kamodo/BGE? Very interesting. "Hey google..... "
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    1. That looks delicious.
    2. Is that cooker supposed to compete with the Kamodo/BGE? Very interesting. "Hey google..... "
    Thank you! It was. Going to do it again this weekend.

Yes, it's a Kamado style grill. Does not use ceramics, so it's supposedly quicker and easier to adjust the temperature.

Just made a batch of heretical1 hummus. Pound of dried chickpeas soaked in salt water, pressure cooked and cooled, blitzed with some of the cooking broth, Goya Adobo because it is primarily salt/garlic/cumin and saved me doing them individually, lemon juice, tahini, extra usvirgin olive oil, and couple fresh garlic cloves. Fat ones because garlic is life. Checked seasoning, added some salt, and set aside until lunch.

Will serve with lavash (Armenian2 cracker bread, a lovely mild and tender yet shatteringly crisp flatbread), olive medley from a large pot, pickled eggs quartered lengthwise, home pickled green tomato wedges, sliced red onion, bottle of hotsauce on the table, Guinness for adults, hot tea, and lemon water. All served at the picnic table.

1 Processed the oil in with the hummus rather than reserve to drizzle over the top at service. I know feelings are righteous regarding such but it's easier to pass at a table for community service without kids sloshing oil this way. I also leave my garbanzo skins on no matter how I do the oil to start further fights.

2 Because this is a gun forum, I have excuses to post a couple cool field portraits, one much more famous than the other:

An absolute stud during the horrific mountain conflict with Azerbaijan for regional independence during the fall of the USSR.

Around the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Thank you! It was. Going to do it again this weekend.

Yes, it's a Kamado style grill. Does not use ceramics, so it's supposedly quicker and easier to adjust the temperature.
    I had the old AKORN model, keep out of the weather period. Rain will get in regardless of using the supplied weatherproof cover. Mine rusted out at the bottom where the ash collects and collects all the moisture/rain. Besides that I turned out some pretty good bbq on it. I bought mine as a get my toes wet item before I spent big $$ on a xxl egg or big joe.

I actually went a 180 and picked up a Yoder 24x48 flat top charcoal grill that can smoke up some crazy good bbq when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Just made a batch of heretical1 hummus. Pound of dried chickpeas soaked in salt water, pressure cooked and cooled, blitzed with some of the cooking broth, Goya Adobo because it is primarily salt/garlic/cumin and saved me doing them individually, lemon juice, tahini, extra usvirgin olive oil, and couple fresh garlic cloves. Fat ones because garlic is life. Checked seasoning, added some salt, and set aside until lunch.
    Sounds good! My hummus heresies include smoked paprika, and I've been known to put chipolte hot sauce in my baba ganoush.

User Tag List