Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by t1tan View Post
    Ended up clicking an eBay link to a steel shop that offers finished and radiused sheets in various sizes in the alloy I wanted for even less. Ended up measuring my stovetop, oven and grill and decided 18" x 14" would be perfect for baking, use as a griddle or on the grill for searing proteins and pizzas. Figured $50 + a little work beat the $189 BakingSteel to experiment so ordered one.
    Brilliant! And that pizza looks awesome.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    6 weeks without cold dead fish comes to an end tonight!

Hopefully the ethanol spritz doesn't change the flavor too much.
    Just cured some wild sockeye I found for 2 days with salt, sugar, black pepper and dill, went a little too long for the thickness but still awesome.

Yep, depends on the cut of meat and what you're going for, ChefSteps has a good chart to go along with the technique. Basically longer you cook, the more you break down. More collagen and connective tissue, longer cook for desired results, etc. Like tonight I did some chicken breast for 1hr @ 65ºC whereas thighs I'd do 65-70ºC for 2-3hrs which would eventually begin to break a breast down to an unpleasant mushy texture where the thigh could withstand more. Bacon is supposed to be amazing sous vide where you can go as long as 24-48hrs then drain and sear, roasts and such can go for 24+ hours as well.

Pasteurization tables are useful to look at too, low temperature/long duration = high temperature/short duration, just stay out of the danger zone and it's all safe.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...perature-guide
    Definitely try the Bacon, but try a piece right out of the Sous Vide. Possibly better than sex.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Name:  3830A98E-FDA1-455C-9B40-2E8F7A0AB79F.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  58.3 KB

I finally found another bag of SAF yeast so I’m back to making my own bread again. Bad timing to run out right when Wuhan-19 hit and the ‘tards emptied the shelves of baking supplies.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Now I want meatloaf, dammit!

For years I hunted for a meatloaf recipe to call my own, and none really ever measured up...I LOVE meatloaf, and even more I LOVE LOVE LOVE meatloaf sandwiches...so I kept trying. And trying. And trying. My mom's recipe was a not a recipe, rather a toss it together affair. My oven has ideosyncracies that make baking good bread difficult. Then I found this ...[Warning: science type stuff ahead...]

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...pt-recipe.html

Seems like cheating, but the results are phenominal. Now I think I need to thaw out some ground venison for my deer and green chile version of this recipe.

pat
    I’m with you on this one. Pretty much the only meatloaf I make anymore.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Something I've been making for the past week- not that fancy, but super tasty.
    Take a pork fillet, and score it
    Throw into a ziploc with some olive oil and part of an Italian salad dressing mix pack.
    Let sit in the fridge for a few hours to overnight.
    Broil until done.

Super easy, but pretty good.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Something I've been making for the past week- not that fancy, but super tasty.
    Take a pork fillet, and score it
    Throw into a ziploc with some olive oil and part of an Italian salad dressing mix pack.
    Let sit in the fridge for a few hours to overnight.
    Broil until done.

Super easy, but pretty good.
    McCormick makes some great marinade packets.... "Grill Mates" If you can find them in your AO, definitely worth a try.
    We all like the Korean BBQ marinade on pork tenderloin. Butterfly, marinade >30 minutes. Grill on high until done.
    They have some citrus versions that are great on chicken.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

A good cheap investment is a small coffee/spice grinder to make your own spice blends. I have one that I got for about $20 on amazon, toss in all the whole spices, pulse to where I like the consistency and toss in a container to store for future meals. You can recreate those kinds of spice packets and dial it in to your tastes with a little experimentation.

A good cheap investment is a small coffee/spice grinder to make your own spice blends. I have one that I got for about $20 on amazon, toss in all the whole spices, pulse to where I like the consistency and toss in a container to store for future meals. You can recreate those kinds of spice packets and dial it in to your tastes with a little experimentation.
    Which spices would you recommend?

[QUOTE=RoyGBiv;1039748]McCormick makes some great marinade packets.... "Grill Mates" If you can find them in your AO, definitely worth a try.
    We all like the Korean BBQ marinade on pork tenderloin. Butterfly, marinade >30 minutes. Grill on high until done.
    They have some citrus versions that are great on chicken.

Baja Citrus very much loved in this house.

Zesty herb one is great too.

User Tag List