Page 33 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Hate to hear that. My only advice would be to be sure to talk about it.

I do most of the outside cooking and she does the inside cooking. She has patience for a crock pot, I have patience for the smoker. LOL.
    Actually, she's an awesome cook and an even better mom to our kids. Almost 25 years now.

And since this is mostly a food thread, here's some roasted Brussels Sprouts with bacon and balsamic vinegar.
    We normally skip the bacon, but, we're living it up a little during quarantine.

Attachment 52968
    Thanks for your sincere reply, I was just kidding about that.

We pretty much have the same routine, but I don't really have the patience for the smoker. On Father's Day a couple years ago she and my sons bought me an outside flattop grill to so I can make smash burgers and cook eggs and bacon. I also have a grill for steaks and such.

We eat a lot of roasted/grilled asparagus and brussel sprouts. I've always loved brussel sprouts in particular. My wife was always a good sport and fixed them for me. Then lo and behold, a couple years went by and she developed a taste for them. We like to get them on either the stalk or in a mesh bag at Aldis. Been a while since I ate frozen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Thanks for your sincere reply, I was just kidding about that.

We pretty much have the same routine, but I don't really have the patience for the smoker. On Father's Day a couple years ago she and my sons bought me an outside flattop grill to so I can make smash burgers and cook eggs and bacon. I also have a grill for steaks and such.

We eat a lot of roasted/grilled asparagus and brussel sprouts. I've always loved brussel sprouts in particular. My wife was always a good sport and fixed them for me. Then lo and behold, a couple years went by and she developed a taste for them. We like to get them on either the stalk or in a mesh bag at Aldis. Been a while since I ate frozen.
    Glad to hear you were kidding... Bad relationships suck.

As much as I would LOVE a flattop, I don't have the room for it. I settle for a cast iron flat top on top of the gas grill. Does decent burgers and eggs, but, not enough of them at one time. If you're in to roasted veggies, be sure to try cauliflower and broccoli. We've been on a roasted curry cauliflower bender for a few weeks. Usually it's just oil, salt, garlic and pepper, but we found a great Thai style curry powder at the local Asian market. 425'F until it's done to your liking, 30 - 45 minutes.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Pulled Beef with Peperoncinis. Made with a 6-pound Chuck on Wahoo sale at Kroger.
    Came out delish, but a bit soupy. Need something heartier than a hamburger bun or it gets very sloppy.

If you've ever had a "Debris Sandwich" from Mother's in the French Quarter, this is a lot like that, but with a stringier texture. IMO.
    Will have lots of leftovers to freeze.

Attachment 52962
    If you've never had it before, you might want to look up Mississippi Pot Roast. It has the same peppers in it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    If you've never had it before, you might want to look up Mississippi Pot Roast. It has the same peppers in it.
    Similar... but with BUTTER, which is never bad. Thanks for the tip!
    https://belleofthekitchen.com/mississippi-pot-roast/

I thinking about putting ours into some street tacos... tortillas with Cotija and all the fixins.
    Should hold up better than burger buns with fewer carbs than a hoagie.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Similar... but with BUTTER, which is never bad. Thanks for the tip!
    https://belleofthekitchen.com/mississippi-pot-roast/

I thinking about putting ours into some street tacos... tortillas with Cotija and all the fixins.
    Should hold up better than burger buns with fewer carbs than a hoagie.
    One of my fav's is (are?) Carnitas

ETA: I like to brown my pot roast before it goes into the pot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Anchovie filets? I've never been of the mind that those are for internal use. Really?

ETA: just experienced our apparent run on meat so I may need to reconsider. Upside to quarantine: I'm cooking with things I'd never considered prior.
    Best meat loaf I have ever had. Lots of time anchovies are background ingredients. Pizza topping is the only application I can think of where the flavor is desired, but I can think of lots of recipes where they are included to add depth of flavor. I don't have marmite, so I substituted Thai fish sauce, which I had on hand. I just made a double batch of this using venison, and I added a 13 oz tub of green chile to the vegetables in the fry pan. Three anchovy fillets are less than 1-1.5 oz, out of a recipe that calls for more than two pounds of meat, and almost a pound of vegetables, mushrooms, and bread.

You can likely do without, maybe sub 2t of worchestershire, but I have had a lot of success with this recipe and the only subs I have done was the fish sauce, the green chile, and this time around I was out of chicken broth, so I used beef. My local store has mushroom broth that I have considered using. The gelatin and buttermilk, along with the "umami bombs", and driving off excess moisture from the veg I think are the main secret weapons.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 04-29-2020 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Best meat loaf I have ever had. Lots of time anchovies are background ingredients. Pizza topping is the only application I can think of where the flavor is desired, but I can think of lots of recipes where they are included to add depth of flavor. I don't have marmite, so I substituted thai fish sauce, which I had on hand. I just made a double batch of this using venison, and I added a 13 oz tub of green chile to the vegetables in the fry pan. Three anchovie fillets are less than 1-1.5 oz, out of a recipe that calls for more than two pounds of meat, and more than a pound of vegetables, mushrooms, and bread.

You can likely do without, maybe sub 2t of worchestershire, but I have had a lot of success with this recipe and the only subs I have done was the fish sauce, the green chile, and this time around I was out of chicken broth, so I used beef. My local store has mushroom broth that I have considered using. The gelatin and buttermilk, along with the "umami bombs", and driving off excess moisture from the veg I think are the main secret weapons.

pat
    Pat,
    Thanks for getting back to me. I'm giving it all a shot. Thank you!

Been wanting to get one of BakingSteel.com's steels or griddles for a while, I make a lot of fermented pizza doughs and other breads, etc., but I've held off for whatever reason, and just kept using my Darto carbon pans and a Lodge dutch oven. The other day I started reading about people that sourced their own carbon steel sheet, cleaned and seasoned it, so I started pricing out the suggested A36 carbon steel in 1/2" and was coming in significantly less than a finished product. Ended up clicking an eBay link to a steel shop that offers finished and radiused sheets in various sizes in the alloy I wanted for even less. Ended up measuring my stovetop, oven and grill and decided 18" x 14" would be perfect for baking, use as a griddle or on the grill for searing proteins and pizzas. Figured $50 + a little work beat the $189 BakingSteel to experiment so ordered one.

Shows up raw and unseasoned, gave it a scrub, tossed it in the oven at 200 to warm and dry, rubbed it down with flax seed oil, returned to the oven and cranked to 525 for 1 hour. Repeat 4-5 times to get a nice black non-stick finish.

So just a heads up to anybody else looking for a cheaper option check out synergysteeldesigns store on ebay.

Raw

4 coats of flax seed oil

First pizza, oven set to 525 for an hour to load the steel, switch to broil and slide the pizza in, 72hr cold fermented dough(flour water salt yeast), strained tomato, fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, basil and parmesan

You can often times find places that will offer treament such as brushing, sanding, sandblasting, etc to cut materials. My baking steel came with a light blast that helped the season.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    6 weeks without cold dead fish comes to an end tonight!

Hopefully the ethanol spritz doesn't change the flavor too much.

Name:  Sashimi.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  45.1 KB

User Tag List