Page 32 of 61 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Now I want meatloaf, dammit!

For years I hunted for a meatloaf recipe to call my own, and none really ever measured up...I LOVE meatloaf, and even more I LOVE LOVE LOVE meatloaf sandwiches...so I kept trying. And trying. And trying. My mom's recipe was a not a recipe, rather a toss it together affair. My oven has ideosyncracies that make baking good bread difficult. Then I found this ...[Warning: science type stuff ahead...]

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...pt-recipe.html

Seems like cheating, but the results are phenominal. Now I think I need to thaw out some ground venison for my deer and green chile version of this recipe.

pat
    My youngest won't eat a hamburger but loves meatloaf. I got the idea to add some ground sausage about 6 months ago and it was very well received. My kids are funny too in that my daughter doesn't like ketchup and the boys don't like ketchup based bbq sauce (though they tear trough a bottle of ketchup). They all like marinara though, so my meatloaf gets finished with a little marinara glaze, sprinkle if herbs, and sprinkle of shredded parm the last 5 minutes.

Pulled Ham

"Guerrera" and I love a dish from a local restaurant, eggs Benedict with "pulled ham." Sadly, the restaurant closed permanently, so we looked to see if we could make this "pulled ham" at home.

Turns out it's stupid simple: put a ham in your crock pot, add some acidic liquid to almost completely cover it (we used Mexican Coca-Cola, pineapple juice, and some rum), cover, and cook on "low" for nine or ten hours (yes, you read that correctly).

When it's done, the ham will fall apart, and you can shred it, easily taking out the bone(s), cartilage, and big fat chunks. Why have we never heard of this before?!? It turns out incredibly. We vowed to never again bake a ham, and to not let anyone else prepare Easter ham.

This should be the default way to prepare ham.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    This should be the default way to prepare ham.
    Sounds delish.

WifeGBiv is doing a similar beef version today with a 6 pound chuck roast, some pepperoncicin and spices.

Show me yours and I'll show you mine later (cooked meats, that is.)
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Sounds delish.

WifeGBiv is doing a similar beef version today with a 6 pound chuck roast, some pepperoncicin and spices.

Nothing to show; all eaten. Had pulled ham with fried potatoes the first night (just a big ol' pile of ham on our plates), poor-man's eggs Benedict the next morning (scrambled eggs, pulled ham, "quicky" Hollandaise sauce, and toast), and split-pea soup with ham and fresh bread yesterday. Gave away some to the in-laws.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter

Pulled Beef with Peperoncinis. Made with a 6-pound Chuck on Wahoo sale at Kroger.
    Came out delish, but a bit soupy. Need something heartier than a hamburger bun or it gets very sloppy.

If you've ever had a "Debris Sandwich" from Mother's in the French Quarter, this is a lot like that, but with a stringier texture. IMO.
    Will have lots of leftovers to freeze.

Name:  Crock of Chuck.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  66.2 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Anchovie filets? I've never been of the mind that those are for internal use. Really?

ETA: just experienced our apparent run on meat so I may need to reconsider. Upside to quarantine: I'm cooking with things I'd never considered prior.

Pulled Beef with Peperoncinis. Made with a 6-pound Chuck on Wahoo sale at Kroger.
    Came out delish, but a bit soupy. Need something heartier than a hamburger bun or it gets very sloppy.

If you've ever had a "Debris Sandwich" from Mother's in the French Quarter, this is a lot like that, but with a stringier texture. IMO.
    Will have lots of leftovers to freeze.

Name:  Crock of Chuck.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  66.2 KB
    What did you cook it in? Coke?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    What did you cook it in? Coke?
    Just 2 cups of beef stock and its own juices*, in a crock pot.

*Plus the moisture from the pepperoncini and a medium yellow onion.

Note: "You" = "Wife". I just get to eat it and post pictures.

Note: "You" = "Wife". I just get to eat it and post pictures.
    Thanks, glad that is working out for you. My experience is more along the lines of 'know how to stop a woman from _________ ? Marry her.'

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Thanks, glad that is working out for you. My experience is more along the lines of 'know how to stop a woman from _________ ? Marry her.'
    Hate to hear that. My only advice would be to be sure to talk about it.

I do most of the outside cooking and she does the inside cooking. Inside I'm just the Sous Chef. She has patience for a crock pot, I have patience for the smoker. LOL.
    Actually, she's an awesome cook and an even better mom to our kids. Almost 25 years now.

And since this is mostly a food thread, here's some roasted Brussels Sprouts with bacon and balsamic vinegar.
    We normally skip the bacon, but, we're living it up a little during quarantine.

Name:  Sprouts.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  70.4 KB

User Tag List