Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Slavex put me onto this: a reverse sear steak.

Let your steak warm to room temperature.
    Preheat oven to 250 deg
    Baste steak with olive oil, sea salt and pepper on all sides.
    Bake steak in oven until it reaches and internal temperature of 125deg.
    Take out of oven, cover in foil, and let sit 15 minutes.
    Preheat a frying pan on high. Sear steak for two minutes each side.

You're welcome.

Edit: I actually should thank Slavex for this. I've tried it twice and now that I've got the formula down it comes out a perfect medium rare.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 08-20-2015 at 10:24 PM.

I got into cooking around 12 or so when Good Eats started back in middle school. It was my only option for decent food, my mother is a self-admitted terrible cook and my father didn't make anything that needed more work than Ramen. Over the years I've only gotten further into cooking, shows, documentaries, studying recipes and principles, equipment and its use, etc. Lately have been getting very into sous vide and complimenting techniques, check out ChefSteps. My diet is primarily fish and other seafood, but I love to do various cajun and asian foods, soups especially, breads, anything really. I'll take the time to pull up recipes, decide what direction I want to go, try it a few times, see what works and come up with my own variation.

By far my favorite thing to make is Crawfish Étouffée

I'll take the rest of the seafood stock along with some sea salt and use it to make the rice.

more food
    Last edited by t1tan; 08-20-2015 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersauras View Post
    Slavex put me onto this: a reverse sear steak.

Let your steak warm to room temperature.
    Preheat oven to 250 deg
    Baste steak with olive oil, sea salt and pepper on all sides.
    Bake steak in oven until it reaches and internal temperature of 125deg.
    Take out of oven, cover in foil, and let sit 15 minutes.
    Preheat a frying pan on high. Sear steak for two minutes each side.

You're welcome.

Edit: I actually should thank Slavex for this. I've tried it twice and now that I've got the formula down it comes out a perfect medium rare.
    Reverse sear if a game changer. I scoffed at it for a few weeks in Facebook until a few friends tried it. Now it's all I do.

Love to cook. Love learning how I've done things wrong over the years. Love using All-Clad and having an egg slide right off. Love using almost free cast iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

This is my low carb crock pot vegetable soup.
    1 lb stir fry beef
    1 can stewed tomatoes
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    3 peppercorns
    1 bay leaf
    1 rib celery chopped
    1 small onion diced
    4 cups water
    1/4 teaspoon thyme
    2 beef bouillon cubes
    if you don't mind a few carbs, add 3 diced potatoes
    Put in crock pot and cook on low 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
    Then add 1 can spinach and
    1 bag frozen broccoli/cauliflower mix.
    Turn to high and cook for another 30 minutes.
    Stir before serving.

This looks a little funky, but it is very tasty. Our kids love it. Even with the spinach.

I love to cook. My father was the better cook in the house, so I think I came by it naturally.

Reverse sear is the nutter butters! Best and easiest method for repeatable perfect steaks. I like to play around with different seasoning blends to add to mine. I've been very high on a 2 parts basil, 1 part rosemary, 1 part white pepper blend right now. Using a jalapeño infused peanut oil for lube.

Also, cast iron for the win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersauras View Post

...Bake steak in oven until it reaches and internal temperature of 125deg...
    Ah, have heard about this but never tried it. Wife scoffed at me when I mentioned it.

Anyways, hope this is not a dumb question, but how do you know the steak is at 125 deg in the oven?

My test case would be a couple decent 10-12 oz Ribeyes, if it matters...thanks!

Rich
    Last edited by RJ; 08-21-2015 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Ah, have heard about this but never tried it. Wife scoffed at me when I mentioned it.

Anyways, hope this is not a dumb question, but how do you know the steak is at 125 deg in the oven?

My test case would be a couple decent 10-12 oz Ribeyes, if it matters...thanks!

Rich
    I have a different variant but something like this http://www.amazon.com/RediCheck-Remo.../dp/B0000AQL24

Works great for prime rib too.

A small crock-pot is great for breakfast oatmeal. I use steel-cut oats, half milk and half water, pinch of salt, and whatever dried or fresh fruit appeals that morning. Put the liner in the microwave and nuke until it bubbles. Put the liner back in the heated shell, cover, take dog for a good walk. It's ready when I get home.

For extra richness, beat an egg or two wish a splash of vanilla and mix it in a few minutes before it's done.

A simple way to balance the richness of Yukon Gold potatoes and olive oil is to mix them with chopped kalmata olives, garlic, and rosemary. Works well as a salad or mashed.

Any cheap cut of pork or beaf brined in apple juice over night. Remove from brine in the morning smother in mustard and your favorite bbq rub. Place in smoker and enjoy your favorite adult beverages while carefully attending the coals until meat has reached the proper temp or you are to sauced to care. Now after a hard days drinking enjoy some delicious pulled pork and what ever sides the wife decides to make because at this point you really shouldnt be doing anything unsupervized.

User Tag List