Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

God damn I'm hungry... tonight I feast on Ramen in hell but come next week I'm going to try a couple of these out
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Baked Chicken Parm

Buy thin sliced breasts or butterfly the larger ones
    Italian Seasoning
    Panko Bread crumbs
    Parm Cheese
    Olive oil spray
    Olive oil or butter
    Marinara
    Mozz Cheese

Set oven to 425.

Melt butter or place EVOO in dish.
    Mix panko, italian seasoning, and Parm together in a dish.
    Dip chicken in butter or EVOO, both sides. Then coat in Pank, Parm, Italian mixture.
    Place on nonstick baking sheet and bake for 20 mins.

Flip after 20 mins and bake for another 5.

After 5 mins, spoon marinara on top and place some mozz cheese on top.

Bake another 5 mins or until internal temp is 160.

Firehouse approved.

Here's two more recipes and a cocktail, because I'm cooking and drinking one of these now.

First, eggs in purgatory. Very very simple; eggs poached in red sauce, but it's one of my favorite breakfasts, especially in an arrabiata.
    Works best with leftover sauce from the day before.
    olive oil
    1 onion, diced
    4 cloves garlic, diced
    small can tomato paste
    28oz can crushed tomatoes
    red wine (maybe a half cup? I eyeball it)
    basil
    oregano
    bay leaves
    red pepper flakes or cayenne powder
    salt and pepper
    eggs

Red sauce is the easiest thing in the world. Take a skillet, fry some onions and garlic in olive oil. When those are looking good add the tomato paste and fry it for a while. Then add remaining ingredients. For spices I tend to cover the top of the sauce evenly, then stir it in. Add plenty of red pepper if you like a spicy sauce, but be aware that it gets hotter with time. I think a really hot red sauce is the best in the morning.
    Simmer for about 20 minutes to let flavors merge. Then, if you are using it for pasta, just spoon over the top like any other sauce. If you are making eggs in purgatory, use a spoon to make little wells in the sauce. Break an egg into each well and season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and cook until the eggs set. Serve over bread.

Next up: Chile Verde

2 pounds tomatillos
    ~8 hatch chiles (if you don't have good, hot hatch chile, use 5 or 6 anaheims plus a poblano and maybe 3 serranos. It's all to taste though)
    2 onions, diced
    ~1 head garlic, diced
    Pork butt
    potatoes
    bunch cilantro
    salt
    pepper
    cloves
    oregano
    chicken bullion

Roast all the peppers over a gas burner or under a broiler. Skin them and deseed if you like. Chop everything but the pork and potatoes, put in a pot with a lid. Cook until the tomatillos burst and there's plenty of liquid in there with everything. Use a stick blender to puree everything and make a sauce. Season with a pinch of ground cloves and a few healthy shakes of oregano. Add chopped pork and simmer about 90 minutes. Add quartered potatoes and cook until they're done.
    Serve with rice.

Cocktail: Death in the springtime
    Adapted from some restaurant I wandered into up here. Sorry I don't recall the name.

1.5 oz gin
    1 oz lemon juice
    1 oz campari
    0.25 oz triple sec
    splash green chartreuse
    splash pernod
    dash orange bitters

Serve over ice. Garnish with a twist of lemon, maybe a few sprigs of herbs.
    Enjoy
    Last edited by scott; 08-19-2015 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    Alton Brown's: Good Eats.

Great cooking show on Netflix (formerly Food Network)

Apparently, he's a shooter to.

His coconut cake recipe is pretty awesome! (from scratch)
    He's quite the shooter. Carries as well.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    When it comes to grilling, I really enjoy Bobby Flay's recipes because he uses lots of different rubs and sauces. His cookbooks have lots of unique recipes.

Alton Brown is a genius, and his technical cooking skills are unmatched. His explanations of the science behind the cooking are extremely valuable.

I also use lots of recipes from The Big Green Egg's website and they have all been great.

My wife is the real cook of the house. But, I do like to dabble. We grill a lot and use my grandmother's recipe for Chimi Churi most times in place of BBQ sauce. My grandmother and mom are from Argentina. Growing up there was a lot of Argentinian and German (my grandmother is 1st gen Argentinian from Germany) and my grandfather (just passed last Sunday...miss you Papa... is from Germany) flavors.

Anyway, the Rauch family Chimi Churi recipe....

We always cooked intuitively without formal measurements. Each batch is slightly different based on the feel of the day.

Chopped/minced Parsley
    Crushed red pepper
    Minced Garlic
    Chopped/minced Cilantro
    Olive Oil
    Red wine vinegar
    Salt
    Pepper

Use over grilled steaks, sausages, chops, etc. Slather on to taste. Awesome stuff!
    Last edited by rauchman; 08-20-2015 at 08:11 AM.

I love watching Alton Brown. I've got to admit I really like to watch Giada De Laurentiis stir stuff.

I'm also a Crock-Pot guy.

In a large pan, fry up 4-5 pieces of bacon for breakfast.

Pat dry a 3 -4 lb Boston Butt. Season Boston Butt with your favorite seasoning. I'm partial to a couple of semi-local products, Butt Rub and Viper Rub. Place Boston Butt in hot fry pan with bacon grease and brown on all sides.

Pour some of your favorite beer in the bottom of the Crock-Pot to cover the bottom of the pot. Place browned Boston Butt in the Crock-Pot. Deglaze the fry pan with some of the same beer, and reduce. Pour reduced beer/pan drippings over the Boston Butt. You should have some beer left over. Make sure you drink it while it's still cold.

Cover pot and cook on low (10 hours on my pot).

Mashed potatoes - 3 lbs of red potatoes, peeled, boil for 1 hour. Drain. Put one stick of butter (4 oz) in the pot. Return potatoes to pot and mash with a hand masher. Salt to taste.

Desert - Southern Living recipe for Pecan Pie Bars. You should be able to find it on the 'net somewhere. I'd give out the recipe, but my wife won't let me give it out anymore. This is my signature desert I bring to events. So many people asked for the recipe, and I gave to a bunch of folks, others started showing up at my wife's events with the same desert. It ticked her off. Of course nobody made as well as I did. You can't use margarine, you've got to use butter.

I'm the chef in the house and I usually have my kids help me out. MY wife will help on weekends but I've been known to throw her and others out because they annoy me. My daughter is my best helper in the kitchen. She's 10.

We sold pampered chef products for a few years so I have a boatload of cookbooks which I am in the process of digitizing.

I make a killer garlic pizza - grilled and a mean drunken noodles using this recipie. http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/...runken-noodles

You can also follow me here https://allthecooks.com/@sneezykevina

As I said, I'm digitizing as many recopies as I can and have only just settled on this app, at least for now anyway. Cooking from a tablet is so much better.

I made a DIY tablet holder here https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-a...321_115433.jpg

I am liking where this thread is going.

Here's my Lentil Soup Recipe. I like it a lot.

Lentil Soup

This recipe makes a big pot of hearty lentil soup. This is usually better the second day. Spoon into freezer containers for a quick hot lunch later in the week.

Ingredients

1 bag of lentils (about 2 c)
    2 cloves of fresh garlic, finely sliced (or crushed)
    1/4 c olive oil
    1 medium onion, diced
    2 carrots, diced
    2 celery stalks, diced
    1 t oregano
    1 t basil
    1 T finely chopped or dried Parsley
    1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
    a Bay Leaf
    32 oz container of chicken stock (I use low sodium stock, if you don't, you could probably skip on the salt below)
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 t pepper
    Shredded Mozzerella Cheese
    Glass of Sherry

Directions

Heat the olive oil in a large cooking pot. Drop in the sliced garlic. Allow the garlic to saute for about 5 minutes, then drop in the onions, cooking for 5 minutes. Put in the carrots and celery, and the basil, oregano and parsley. Stir all this through, while continue to cook for another 5 minutes or so, or until the onions are clear.

Stir in the tomatoes and chicken stock, and then drop in the Bay leaf. Add the lentils, then cover and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and let simmer for 2-4 hours.

Tip: This soup is even better if you dump in any leftover shredded cooked sausage. Diced ham also works great.

Note: this is usually better the second day. I typically make this in the afternoon, and allow it to cool, then refrigerate it overnight. The next day, I put the pot on the stove on "low" and then enjoy it for lunch.

PS: The Mozzerrala cheese is to drizzle over the hot soup. I like it. My mom always poured in a glass of Sherry and mixed it in with the hot soup in the soup bowls, so I added that to the end. I also like that too.
    Last edited by RJ; 08-20-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Site Supporter
    My favorite recipe I picked up this year is Rachael Rays Portuguese chorizo and kale stoup. I just use regular sausage and always double the recipe so I can freeze some. Wife and I love it. It's very hearty

User Tag List